Deliciously easy and flavorful, this recipe of roasted cinnamon sweet potatoes with squash and apples is sure to become a favorite side dish for any occasion!
This sweet potato side dish has all the comfort and warmth of a hug thanks to the cinnamon and nutmeg. It also has a light kiss of sweetness from the apple and brown sugar.
You’ll fall in love with this seasonal side dish recipe! It will easily grace any table, and for any occasion.
The following video for sweet potato pudding is a sweet potato recipe you may also enjoy;
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making cinnamon sweet potatoes with squash and apples is available at the end of this post.
The ingredient list;
**Note – The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience.
- Sweet Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- Apples, peeled, seeded, and cubed (I used Pink Lady)
- Red Onion (optional)
- Brown Sugar
- Ground Cinnamon
- Grated Nutmeg
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
Kitchen tools and equipment needed;
- Vegetable Peeler
- Cutting Board
- Chef’s Knife
- Nutmeg Grater
- Bench Scraper (optional)
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Sheet Pan
- Tin Foil (optional)
What other apple varieties can be used?
I like a firm, sweet apple. One that holds it shape relatively well as it roasts.
A few other apple suggestions are Braeburn, Jonagold, Honeycrisp, and Winesap.
Can the onion be left out of this recipe?
It sure can!
I’ve made this cinnamon sweet potato recipe several times. Sometimes I add the onion, and sometimes I don’t. It all depends on who I’m serving it to.
If you’re not a fan of onions, by all means, leave them out!
Can this recipe be made ahead and frozen?
I wouldn’t suggest it because the texture will become mushy as it thaws.
However, if you would like to serve it as a mashed side dish, I do believe that it would also be lovely!
So then, freeze away and be prepared to mash.
OR, if you like the idea of a mashed side dish, why not mash immediately after roasting and before serving? Either way, I know you’ll enjoy the flavors!
What about using store-bought prepared butternut squash?
I say GO FOR IT! I did and will continue to do it when time is tight.
Will frozen butternut squash work in this recipe?
Yes! Just make sure to thaw it first before adding it to the mix.
Why is it important to chop all the ingredients to roughly the same size?
So they all cook at basically the same rate.
If you had larger pieces of sweet potato than you did of butternut squash, (for example), the potatoes wouldn’t be cooked when the squash was tender.
The easy instructions for making roasted cinnamon sweet potatoes with squash and apples;
- Add the cubed butternut squash to a large bowl.
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes to a similar size as the butternut squash.
- Peel and dice the apples into a similar size as the squash and sweet potatoes.
- Dice the onion (if using) in a similar size.
- Add them to the bowl.
- Add brown sugar, ground cinnamon, grated nutmeg, olive oil, melted butter, salt, and pepper to the bowl.
- Toss, or stir well, to coat.
- Add the mixture in an even layer onto a sheet pan and roast in a preheated 425-degree oven for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through the roasting process.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
For additional sweet potato recipes, please click on the following titles for;
- Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
“When you want to spice up your dinner options, but still want something healthy and quick, this recipe for Spicy Smoky Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Ground Beef & Beans may be just the thing you’re looking for!“
- Moroccan Sweet Potato Hummus from Delicious Everyday
- Tropical Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
“Travel to the tropics with these fun, festive, and extremely delicious twice-baked sweet potato boats featuring coconut and lime flavors.“
- Sweet Potato Cake with Marshmallow Frosting from Liv for Cake
- Cauliflower Sweet Potato Mashers (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
“When you’re looking for something to satisfy your craving for mashed potatoes but don’t want all those pesky carbs and calories, make these Cauliflower Sweet Potato Mashers. They’re fantastic!”
- Sweet Potato and Quinoa Salad from It’s Not Complicated
- Roasted Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes with Squash and Apples (pictured below) This is the place!! 🙂
Below is the printable recipe card along with the nutritional information and instructions for making for today’s fall side dish; Roasted Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes with Squash and Apples.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into approximately 1" cubes
- 2 cups butternut squash cubes, peeled and chopped into approximately 1" cubes
- 2 apples, peeled, seeded and chopped into approximately 1" cubes
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped into approximately 1" cubes
- ½ cup brown sugar, light or dark
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon (or to taste) grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- Place the prepared sweet potatoes, butternut squash, apples and onions in a large bowl.
- Add the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Shake or stir to combine.
- Pour in the oil and butter and shake or stir to thoroughly combine.
- Spread the potato and squash mixture in an even layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, stirring once halfway through the roasting process.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Suggested apple varieties; Pink Lady, Jonagold, Honeycrisp, Braeburn, Winesap
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you so much for visiting me here in my Kudos Kitchen!!
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s sweet potato side dish recipe as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you.
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For more information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, please follow me on my social media:
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!