Summertime’s delicious bounty of fresh and juicy nectarines comes alive in this recipe for caramelized Nectarine Upside-Down Cake.
There is something so intoxicating about fresh, summertime nectarines. Hold one up to your nose and take a big, long sniff.
There, that’s what summer is all about, and that’s exactly how this nectarine upside-down cake tastes. Like summertime. In cake form.
The ingredient list for making Nectarine Upside Down Cake;
- Nectarines (peaches also work)
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Greek Yogurt
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- Grated Nutmeg
- All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
Can this nectarine cake be made in advance, and can it be frozen?
YES! Here’s my story and I’m sticking to it…
Once I baked and cooled the nectarine upside-down cake, I packed a few slices for my eldest son to take home, and then I packaged and froze a few slices to bring to my mom for my next visit to her house.
I brought my mom her slices just the other day, and this morning she told me how much she enjoyed this cake.
When I asked her how the texture was after it had been frozen and thawed, much to my delight, she said the texture was wonderful!
In review, I’m happy to report that this cake may be made in advance and frozen if needed.
However, for the best and freshest result, I recommend eating it as soon as possible after cooling…but I doubt that will be a problem. 😉
How long does this summer fruit cake to make from start to finish?
- Approximately 2 hours from start to eat.
- 10 minutes to prepare the caramelized nectarine “topping” (which is actually the bottom of the cake when baked).
- 10 minutes to prepare the cake batter.
- 50-60 minutes to bake.
- Cool. Invert. Cool. Garnish. Enjoy!
Why this recipe for Nectarine Upside Down Cake works:
- It’s easy to make.
- It only takes a few ingredients.
- It’s delicious.
- It’s impressive looking.
- It will make you a rock star among your family and friends.
Boozy Fruit Cocktail with Gin & Mint
Cool, refreshing and a little kicked up! This Boozy Fruit Cocktail is the perfect summer dessert for the over 21 crowd!
Peach and Raspberry Sun Tea with Cilantro Simple Syrup
It’s just about summer so you know what that means, right? Time to schedule your “tea” time! In my book, there’s no better way to do that than with this Peach and Raspberry Sun Tea that is sweetened with cilantro simple syrup!
Grilled Peach Salsa
Healthy Grilled Peach Salsa takes full advantage of summertime’s bounty of fresh peaches, garden cucumbers, and ripe plum tomatoes!
Berry Fresh Blueberry Peach Crisp Recipe
With fresh blueberries and peaches coming into season, this easy to make Berry Fresh Blueberry Peach Crisp is a delicious dessert you’re going to want to make time and again.
Strawberry Sriracha BBQ Sauce
Strawberry Sriracha BBQ Sauce is fruity with a touch of heat. It’s perfect for pork, chicken, and even fish.
Strawberry Basil Salad
Sweet strawberries, tart sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh basil mingle together nicely in this savory Strawberry Basil Salad. They’re then dressed with a light and tasty balsamic vanilla vinegar and topped with almond slices.
Foolproof Strawberry Cobbler Bars
Even a newbie to the world of baking can knock these Strawberry Cobbler Bars out of the park, and I’m here to show you how.
Best Creamy Strawberry Rhubarb Bread Pudding
Fresh strawberries, blueberries, rhubarb and white chocolate mingle with Italian bread cubes and then bathed in a rich and creamy custard sauce before baking. It’s simply the Best Creamy Strawberry Rhubarb Bread Pudding you’ll ever taste.
Blueberry Slab Pie
I know you’re going to adore this Blueberry Slab Pie recipe as much as we did. If you’re at all intimidated by making your own pie crust (I know, me too), then this is the perfect pie for you because this crust is super simple to make and it only goes on the bottom of the 9×13 sheet pan. Once you’ve rolled the crust into a general rectangle shape, you can then use your fingers to press and work the dough to fit the pan, thereby forgoing any additional rolling.
Blueberry BBQ Sauce Chicken
Skillet Blueberry BBQ Sauce Chicken is beautifully browned chicken breast which simmers to a tender finish in an easy to make zippy blueberry-chile BBQ sauce.
Homemade Blueberry Banana Muffins
Skip the box mix and make them fresh! The best homemade buttermilk blueberry banana muffins are 100% worth the extra 5 minutes they’ll take to make!
Five Ingredient Blueberry Basil Bruschetta
If you have 10 minutes and only five ingredients, you can serve these Blueberry Basil Bruschetta to your friends and family and blow them all away with how delicious, and easy they are.
**The following affiliate links are some suggested products I’ve chosen that will aid you in the making and serving of this recipe for summertime fruit cake if desired.
The easy instructions for making nectarine upside-down cake;
- Add melted butter and brown sugar into the bottom of a 9″ round cake pan.
- Remove the stones from nectarines and cut the fruit into slices.
- Lay the nectarine slices in a decorative star pattern over the butter and brown sugar, making sure to fit in as many of the nectarine slices as possible.
- Sprinkle additional brown sugar and freshly grated nutmeg over the nectarine slices.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In a second bowl cream together butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add an egg, Greek yogurt, milk and vanilla to the creamed butter mixture.
- Slowly incorporate the flour mixture into the creamed butter mixture until fully blended.
- Use a spatula to gently spoon the cake batter evenly over the nectarines in the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake in a preheated 350-degree oven for approximately 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean after being inserted into the center of the cake.
- Cool the cake on a baking rack for 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes place a serving plate on top of the cake in the pan.
- Use baking mitts or pot holders to carefully invert (flip) the cake in the pan so the nectarines will now be the top of the cake.
- Once flipped, carefully remove the baking pan and allow the cake to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Summertime Nectarine Cake.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
- 3 nectarines stones removed and cut into slices (peaches may be used)
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 cup dark brown sugar divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⅔ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup sugar granulated
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup yogurt Greek
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 9″ round cake pan
- 2 large bowls
- stand mixer or hand mixer
- small microwave safe bowl for melting butter
- cutting board and chef’s knife for slicing nectarines
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- pot holders or bakers mitts
- cooling rack or trivet
- serving plate
- Whipped Cream optional as garnish
- Fresh Mint Sprigs optional as garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add the melted butter into the cake pan.
Evenly add 6 tablespoons of brown sugar to the pan.
Add the nectarine slices in a star pattern on top of the brown sugar and butter, making sure to fit as many as possible.
Sprinkle 2 additional tablespoons of brown sugar evenly over the nectarine slices, along with the freshly grated nutmeg. Set aside while preparing cake batter.
In a large bowl, combine the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In another large bowl (of a stand mixer, or with a hand mixer), cream together the softened butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.
Add the egg, yogurt, milk, and vanilla and blend until combined.
Slowly blend the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture (scraping the sides down on occasion) until a thick but creamy batter is formed.
Use a spatula to spoon the cake batter gently and evenly over top of the nectarines in the cake pan.
Bake the cake in a preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Cool the cake on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
Place a serving plate on top of the cake (in the pan) and invert the cake pan, and plate, in one smooth motion so that the nectarine slices are now on top.
Gently remove the cake pan from the cake and allow the cake to cool completely.
Slice, serve and enjoy!
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s recipe for caramelized nectarine upside down cake as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
This recipe for Bountiful Caramelized Nectarine Upside-Down cake is proudly being featured on Big Bear’s Wife – Meal Plan Monday. Check it out.
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!