When you want to spice up your dinner options, but still want something healthy and quick, this recipe for Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Ground Beef & Beans may be just the thing you’re looking for!
When I originally made this recipe for stuffed Tex-Mex Sweet Potatoes I used ground beef.
However, if you’re looking to lighten things up and make it even healthier, ground turkey is always a great option. The recipe instructions will remain exactly the same.
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making this easy dinner of Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes is available at the end of this post. OR you can hit the “jump to recipe” button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
The ingredient list:
- Sweet potatoes (I like the large ones)
- ground beef
- chopped celery
- chopped onion
- canned black beans
- canned fire-roasted chiles
- canned Rotel tomatoes (I used the lime-cilantro style)
- frozen corn
- salt and pepper
- smoked cumin
- smoked paprika
- ground coriander
- ground cinnamon
- cocoa powder
- lime juice
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- chopped scallions (optional)
What in the world?
You may say to yourself after reading the ingredient list “Hey!” “What in the world is ground cinnamon and cocoa powder doing in a savory recipe like this?” “And what about the butter and lime juice?” “She has really gone off the deep end with this recipe!” “Has Renee lost her mind?!!”
And my answer would be…Well. Maybe. But not about this recipe!
The ground cinnamon and cocoa powder deepens the savory flavor of the Tex-Mex “stuffing” and gives it a light molé touch, which works wonderfully well with the sweetness of the sweet potato.
And the lime juice cuts through the richness of the filling and balances out all the herbs and spices perfectly, while that little touch of butter helps to keep the flavors lingering on your tongue, bite after delicious bite.
Trust me on this!
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes:
- Sweet Potatoes are high in vitamin B6 and they’re also a good source of vitamin C.
- Sweet Potatoes are also high in vitamin D which helps build healthy bones.
- Sweet Potatoes contain iron which helps support a healthy immune system.
- Sweet Potatoes are also a great source of magnesium which is an anti-stress mineral
You can’t argue with all that, can you?
How to make Tex-Mex stuffed sweet potatoes:
- While the sweet potatoes are baking in the oven or microwave, in a large skillet brown the ground beef (or ground turkey) along with the onion and celery.
- Once the meat is no longer pink, add the corn, beans, fired roasted chiles, and Rotel tomatoes into the skillet and stir to combine.
- Next stir in the salt, pepper, smoked cumin, smoked paprika, ground coriander, ground cinnamon, and cocoa powder to the skillet.
- Mix well. Simmer for 5 minutes and stir in the fresh lime juice and butter.
- Split the sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, and fill with a generous helping of the Spicy Tex-Mex filling.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped scallions (if desired), and serve hot!
Want more delicious sweet potato recipes?
- One Pan Ponzu Pork Chop Dinner with Sweet Potatoes
- Savory Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Brussels Sprouts and Apples
- Soft and Chewy Amish Sweet Potato Cookies
- Twice Baked Sweet Potato Boats with a Tropical Touch
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today’s easy and delicious dinner of Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.
Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 can 15 ounces black beans, drained
- 1 can 4 ounces fire roasted chiles
- 1 can 15 ounces Rotel (Mexican Style) tomatoes with lime and cilantro
- 1½ cups corn kernels frozen
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Shredded cheddar cheese optional
- chopped scallions optional
- Cook the sweet potatoes in an oven or microwave until soft.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium/high heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and celery.
- When the meat is no longer pink, stir in the black beans, chiles, tomatoes, and corn.
- Reduce the heat to medium/low and stir in the salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, coriander, cinnamon, and cocoa powder.
- Simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh lime juice and butter until melted.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, split them lengthwise and fill them generously with the Tex-Mex filling.
- Serve hot with shredded cheddar cheese and chopped scallions if desired.
Thank you so much for visiting me here today in my Kudos Kitchen!
I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s easy dinner recipe for Spicy Smoky Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you.
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For more Kudos Kitchen recipe information, please follow me on my social medial channels (listed below), and don’t forget to TAG me @kudoskitchen with photos so I can view all your delicious recipe creations! It’s exciting for me when you share them, so don’t be shy!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – BRINGING YOU EASY, ECONOMICAL, AND DELICIOUS DISHES TO FEED YOUR LOVED ONES!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!