Tater Tot Poutine is my quick and easy take on the French-Canadian classic, but mine is made with everyone's favorite freezer staple...tater tots.
Serve this delicious smothered tater tot recipe as an appetizer, side dish, or even a main course. The choice is yours!
Tater tot poutine is one of those simple dishes you just can't stop eating. Sorry. Not sorry. LOL
The following recipe for Oven Roasted Potatoes with Garlic Fresh Herbs is another potato recipe I know you'll enjoy.
- The ingredient list
- Kitchen tools and equipment needed
- Why this recipe for tater tot poutine works
- Additional add-in suggestions:
- What is the best method for cooking frozen tater tots for poutine?
- What tater tots work best for this recipe?
- Will this recipe work with frozen French fries?
- Additional tater tot recipes
- Want other delicious potato recipes?
- The easy instructions for making tater tot poutine:
- Printable Recipe Card
The ingredient list
- frozen tater tots
- prepared gravy; beef, chicken, turkey, (either store-bought or homemade)
- ham (leftovers work great for this recipe)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- shredded swiss cheese
- chopped scallions
- olive oil
- olive oil spray
- salt and pepper
Kitchen tools and equipment needed
- cast iron skillet
- cheese grater
- chef's knife
- cutting board
- measuring cups and spoons
- baking sheet (optional)
- parchment paper (optional)
Why this recipe for tater tot poutine works
It's fast, easy, and totally customizable!
Plus, who doesn't love crispy tater tots and melted cheese?!!
Additional add-in suggestions:
- Bacon (cooked)
- Bell Peppers
- Ground Beef (cooked)
- Ground Turkey (cooked)
- Pulled Pork
- Diced Avocados
- Diced Tomatoes
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- Corn Kernels
- Chopped Broccoli
- Shredded Chicken (cooked)
- Sour Cream
- You get the idea!
What is the best method for cooking frozen tater tots for poutine?
When making tater tot poutine, I recommend using a cast-iron skillet if you have one. Nothing else will give the potatoes their deep, dark, color and crunch as a cast-iron skillet can.
However, this recipe can also be made on a baking sheet or in a casserole dish and you will still have fabulous results.
What tater tots work best for this recipe?
It's totally your call.
If you have a favorite brand, shape or flavor...go for it!!
Will this recipe work with frozen French fries?
If that's what you have in your freezer, don't let me stop you!
Additional tater tot recipes
This Ham and Cheese Tater Tot Breakfast Bake will become your weekend go-to breakfast or brunch staple because everyone loves it. Plus, it's quick to put on the table without much effort.
This quick to prepare 5-ingredient Smoked Sausage Tater Tot Casserole is a sure thing when it comes to pleasing every member of the family.
Mashup your potato soup recipe by adding everybody's favorite...tater tots! Tater Tot Chowder is hearty, delicious, and will soon become a family favorite!
Want other delicious potato recipes?
Chicken Pot Potatoes (pictured below)
What do you get when you combine a baked potato with all the comfort and goodness of a chicken pot pie, but without all the work? Chicken Pot Pie Potatoes, that’s what!
Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (pictured below)
When you want to spice up your dinner options, but still want something healthy and quick, this recipe may be just the thing you’re looking for!
Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes (pictured below)
"It seems like everyone’s favorite side dish is always mashed potatoes. Not that traditional mashed potatoes needed help in the favorites category, but then again why not give them a little update? These Zippy Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes are EVERYTHING!"
Tater Tot Poutine (pictured below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
The easy instructions for making tater tot poutine:
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- Heat an empty 8" - 10" cast-iron skillet for 10 minutes.
- Brush the hot skillet with olive oil.
- Immediately add the frozen tater tots in an even layer to the skillet (a casserole dish or sheet pan will also work).
- Season the tater tots with salt and pepper.
- Return the skillet to the 425-degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the tater tots from the oven and top them with the ham, gravy, and shredded cheese.
- Return the tater tot poutine to the oven until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and top immediately with chopped scallions.
- Serve hot with sour cream (not pictured).
⭐If you've made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave it a star rating on the recipe card, along with a comment if you're so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
Printable Recipe Card
Tater Tot Poutine
- 1 package frozen tater tots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup gravy homemade or store-bought
- 3 ounces chopped ham
- ½ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- If using a cast-iron skillet, heat skillet in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Brush the inside of the hot skillet (or the base of a baking sheet or casserole dish) with oil.
- Add the frozen tater tots in an even layer to the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and top with the ham, gravy, and shredded cheeses.
- Return to the oven until the cheeses have thoroughly melted.
- Remove the poutine from the oven and top with the scallions.
- Serve hot.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for Tater Tot Poutine as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!