Tater Tot Poutine is my quick and easy take on the French-Canadian classic, but mine is made with everyone’s favorite freezer staple…tater tots.
Serve this delicious smothered tater tot recipe as an appetizer, side dish, or even a main course. The choice is yours!
Tater tot poutine is one of those simple dishes you just can’t stop eating. Sorry. Not sorry. LOL
The following recipe for Oven Roasted Potatoes with Garlic Fresh Herbs is another potato recipe I know you’ll enjoy.
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Tater Tot Poutine is available at the end of this post. OR click on the “jump to recipe” text (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
The ingredient list:
**Note – The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- frozen Tater Tots
- prepared gravy; beef, chicken, turkey, (either store-bought or homemade)
- ham (leftovers work great for this recipe)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- shredded swiss cheese
- chopped scallions
- olive oil
- olive oil spray
- salt and pepper
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- cast iron skillet
- cheese grater
- chef’s knife
- cutting board
- measuring cups and spoons
- baking sheet (optional)
- parchment paper (optional)
Why this recipe for tater tot poutine works:
It’s fast, easy, and totally customizable!
Plus, who doesn’t love crispy tater tots and melted cheese?!!
Additional add-in suggestions:
- Bacon (cooked)
- Bell Peppers
- Ground Beef (cooked)
- Ground Turkey (cooked)
- Pulled Pork
- Diced Avocados
- Diced Tomatoes
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- Corn Kernels
- Chopped Broccoli
- Shredded Chicken (cooked)
- Sour Cream
- You get the idea!
What is the best method for cooking frozen tater tots for poutine?
When making tater tot poutine, I recommend using a cast-iron skillet if you have one. Nothing else will give the potatoes their deep, dark, color and crunch as a cast-iron skillet can.
However, this recipe can also be made on a baking sheet or in a casserole dish and you will still have fabulous results.
What tater tots work best for this recipe?
It’s totally your call.
If you have a favorite brand, shape or flavor…go for it!!
Will this recipe work with frozen french fries?
If that’s what you have in your freezer, don’t let me stop you!
Want other delicious potato recipes?
Chicken Pot Potatoes (pictured below)
What do you get when you combine a baked potato with all the comfort and goodness of a chicken pot pie, but without all the work? Chicken Pot Pie Potatoes, that’s what!
Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (pictured below)
When you want to spice up your dinner options, but still want something healthy and quick, this recipe may be just the thing you’re looking for!
Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes (pictured below)
“It seems like everyone’s favorite side dish is always mashed potatoes. Not that traditional mashed potatoes needed help in the favorites category, but then again why not give them a little update? These Zippy Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes are EVERYTHING!“
Tater Tot Poutine (pictured below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
The easy instructions for making tater tot poutine:
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- Heat an empty 8″ – 10″ cast-iron skillet for 10 minutes.
- Brush the hot skillet with olive oil.
- Immediately add the frozen tater tots in an even layer to the skillet (a casserole dish or sheet pan will also work).
- Season the tater tots with salt and pepper.
- Return the skillet to the 425-degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the tater tots from the oven and top them with the ham, gravy, and shredded cheese.
- Return the tater tot poutine to the oven until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and top immediately with chopped scallions.
- Serve hot with sour cream (not pictured).
Below is the printable recipe card along with the nutritional information for today’s smothered Tater Tot recipe.
- 1 package frozen tater tots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup gravy (homemade or store-bought)
- 3 ounces chopped ham
- ½ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- If using a cast-iron skillet, heat skillet in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Brush the inside of the hot skillet (or the base of a baking sheet or casserole dish) with oil.
- Add the frozen tater tots in an even layer to the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and top with the ham, gravy, and shredded cheeses.
- Return to the oven until the cheeses have thoroughly melted.
- Remove the poutine from the oven and top with the scallions.
- Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving Calories 139Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 28mgSodium 435mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 7g
Thank you so much for visiting me here today in my Kudos Kitchen!
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s recipe for Tater Tot Poutine as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For more Kudos Kitchen recipe information, please follow me on my social medial channels (listed below), and don’t forget to TAG me @kudoskitchen with photos so I can view all your delicious recipe creations! It’s exciting for me when you share them, so don’t be shy!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – BRINGING YOU EASY, ECONOMICAL, AND DELICIOUS DISHES TO FEED YOUR LOVED ONES!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!