Tater Tot Poutine is my quick and easy take on the French-Canadian classic, but mine is made with everyone’s favorite freezer staple…tater tots.
Serve this delicious tater tot recipe as an appetizer, side dish, or even a main course. The choice is yours!
Tater tot poutine is one of those simple dishes you just can’t stop eating. Sorry. Not sorry. LOL
Click here to like and subscribe to my Kudos Kitchen cooking channel on YouTube! Thanks!! 🙂
The following video for Oven Roasted Potatoes with Garlic Fresh Herbs is another quick and easy potato recipe I know you’ll also enjoy.
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Tater Tot Poutine is available at the end of this post.
The ingredient list;
- Frozen Tater Tots
- Gravy (either store-bought or homemade)
- Ham (leftovers work great for this recipe)
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Shredded Swiss Cheese
- Chopped Scallions
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
Why this recipe for tater tot poutine works.
It’s fast, easy, and totally customizable!
Plus, who doesn’t love crispy tater tots and melted cheese?!!
Additional add-in suggestions;
- Bacon (cooked)
- Bell Peppers
- Ground Beef (cooked)
- Ground Turkey (cooked)
- Pulled Pork
- Diced Avocados
- Diced Tomatoes
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts
- Corn Kernels
- Chopped Broccoli
- Shredded Chicken (cooked)
- Sour Cream
- You get the idea!
What is the best method for cooking frozen tater tots for poutine?
When making tater tot poutine, I recommend using a cast-iron skillet if you have one. Nothing else will give the potatoes their deep, dark, color and crunch as a cast-iron skillet can.
However, this recipe can also be made on a baking sheet or in a casserole dish and you will still have fabulous results.
Want other delicious potato recipes? Great! Click on the following titles to be taken to the recipes for…
- Chicken Pot Potatoes – “What do you get when you combine a baked potato with all the comfort and goodness of a chicken pot pie, but without all the work? Chicken Pot Pie Potatoes, that’s what! “
- Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes – “When you want to spice up your dinner options, but still want something healthy and quick, this recipe may be just the thing you’re looking for!”
- Roasted Red Potatoes with Lemongrass and Cilantro – “Caramelized Roasted Red Potatoes with Lemongrass, Garlic & Cilantro are crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. They’re an easy yet impressive side dish to serve family or guests.“
- Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes – “By simply adding canned pumpkin puree to Yukon gold mashed potatoes you’ll be amazed by the beautiful fall color, and delicious taste, of these Fall FestivalPumpkin Mashed Potatoes!”
- Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes – “It seems like everyone’s favorite side dish is always mashed potatoes. Not that traditional mashed potatoes needed help in the favorites category, but then again why not give them a little update? These Zippy Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes are EVERYTHING!“
The easy instructions for making tater tot poutine;
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees.
- Heat an empty 8″ – 10″ cast-iron skillet for 10 minutes.
- Brush the hot skillet with olive oil.
- Immediately add the frozen tater tots in an even layer to the skillet (a casserole dish or sheet pan will also work).
- Season the tater tots with salt and pepper.
- Return the skillet to the 425-degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the tater tots from the oven and top them with the ham, gravy, and shredded cheese.
- Return the tater tot poutine to the oven until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and top immediately with chopped scallions.
- Serve hot with sour cream (not pictured).
**The following affiliate links are some suggested products I’ve chosen that will aid you in the making and serving of this recipe for Tater Tot Poutine if desired.
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Tater Tot Poutine.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
- 1 package frozen tater tots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup gravy (homemade or store-bought)
- 3 ounces chopped ham
- ½ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- If using a cast-iron skillet, heat skillet in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Brush the inside of the hot skillet (or the base of a baking sheet or casserole dish) with oil.
- Add the frozen tater tots in an even layer to the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and top with the ham, gravy, and shredded cheeses.
- Return to the oven until the cheeses have thoroughly melted.
- Remove the poutine from the oven and top with the scallions.
- Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving Calories 139 Total Fat 10g Saturated Fat 4g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 28mg Sodium 435mg Carbohydrates 4g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 0g Sugar 0g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 7g
Thank you so much for visiting me here in my Kudos Kitchen!!
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s recipe for Tater Tot Poutine as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For more information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, please follow me on my social media:
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!