This Ham and Cheese Tater Tot Breakfast Bake will become your weekend go-to breakfast or brunch staple because everyone loves it. Plus, it's quick to put on the table without much effort.
I don't know about you, but I LOVE tater tots, and I always seem to have them in the freezer. Mostly, I bake them up and serve them as a basic side dish.
But there are other times I like to get creative with them and do something different. This tater tot frittata recipe is a prime example of turning them into something more than a simple side dish.
- The ingredients:
- Why this recipe works
- The easy instructions:
- When to serve this ham and cheese tater tot frittata
- Can this tater tot egg casserole be frozen after baking
- How to thaw and reheat after freezing
- Additional add-in suggestions
- How long will this easy breakfast bake keep in the refrigerator
- How many people does this serve
- Do the tater tots need to be thawed first
- Can the tater tots be left whole
- Can other potatoes be used besides tater tots
- Additional fun recipes using tater tots
- Ham and Cheese Tater Tot Breakfast Bake
*Please note that the exact measurements along with a new "shop the recipe" feature from Instacart is available in the printable recipe card.
Why this recipe works
It's a perfectly balanced breakfast casserole. It's not overly eggy and doesn't have an overload of potatoes.
The scallions add a nice, light oniony bite and the ham and cheese make it a substantial breakfast bake without it being too heavy or filling.
The easy instructions:
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium/high heat.
Add 3 cups of tater tots (frozen or thawed) to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until they turn golden.
Add 1 cup of diced ham (leftovers work great) to the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
Break up the tater tots with a spatula and stir well to combine.
Meanwhile break 10 eggs into a large bowl.
Whisk well to combine and add ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper to the eggs.
Add ½ cup of milk to the eggs.
Along with 1½ teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Set aside.
Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese to the skillet along with ½ cup chopped scallions (white and green parts)
Stir well to combine all the ingredients in the skillet.
Pour the egg mixture evenly over the potato and ham mixture in the skillet.
Bake in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven until the center is set (approximately 35 minutes).
Allow the cheesy tater tot breakfast casserole to sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
When to serve this ham and cheese tater tot frittata
There are no rules at all. This tastes delicious for breakfast, brunch, lunch, and even dinner.
Can this tater tot egg casserole be frozen after baking
Yes! Cut and freeze the bake in serving size wedges and store the servings in an airtight freezer bag marked with the date, for up to 2 months.
How to thaw and reheat after freezing
Thaw the frozen slices in the refrigerator over night and reheat (covered) in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until hot. Add additional cheese before baking, if desired.
Additional add-in suggestions
- cooked breakfast sausage
- cooked bacon
- lightly cooked broccoli
- red pepper
- green pepper
- minced shallots
- Swiss cheese
- grape tomatoes (halved)
- you get the idea...
How long will this easy breakfast bake keep in the refrigerator
You can store this in the refrigerator (wrapped well or in airtight containers) for up to 4 days.
How many people does this serve
I recipe is written to serve 6 people, but feel free to serve larger slices for those with heartier appetites.
Do the tater tots need to be thawed first
Nope. You can cook them from frozen. They'll just take a little longer in the skillet to brown and break up into smaller bits. However, if you cover the pan that process will only take a few extra minutes.
Can the tater tots be left whole
Sure. You can do whatever you like. Whole or broken, it will all be delicious.
Can other potatoes be used besides tater tots
Yes. Frozen hash brown, O'Brian potatoes, or even leftover baked potatoes (broken into bite sized pieces) will work in this recipe. Use your imagination or what you have at your disposal. Get creative.
Additional fun recipes using tater tots
Tater Tot Poutine is my quick and easy take on the French-Canadian classic, but mine is made with everyone's favorite freezer staple...tater tots.
Mashup your potato soup recipe by adding everybody's favorite...tater tots! Tater Tot Chowder is hearty, delicious, and will soon become a family favorite!
This quick to prepare 5-ingredient Smoked Sausage Tater Tot Casserole is a sure thing when it comes to pleasing every member of the family.
⭐If you've made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave it a star rating on the recipe card, along with a comment if you're so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
Ham and Cheese Tater Tot Breakfast Bake
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups tater tots
- 10 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup chopped scallions green and white parts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt the butter in the skillet over medium/high heat. Add the tater tots in an even layer and allow them to cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, brown, and easy to break into bits.
- Meanwhile, add the eggs to a large bowl and whisk well to combine. Add the milk, mustard, salt and pepper to the eggs. Whisk again to combine. Set aside.
- Reduce the heat under the skillet to low and stir in the ham, shredded cheese, and scallions. Stir well to combine.
- Pour the prepared eggs over the potatoes and ham in the skillet. Place the skillet into the preheated oven (center rack) and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the center is set and no longer jiggly.
- Allow the frittata to cool for 10 minutes and then slice into wedges and serve.
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.