Mashup your potato soup recipe by adding everybody's favorite...tater tots! Tater Tot Chowder is hearty, delicious, and will soon become a family favorite!
I originally came up with this idea for tater tot chowder when looking for a way to use leftover tater tots.
The result was this hearty, delicious and comforting gluten-free chowder that I immediately knew I had to revise, rework, and share with you ASAP!
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Tater Tot Chowder is available at the end of this post. OR you can hit the "jump to recipe" button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
- Get MORE soup, stew, and chowder recipes!!
- The ingredient list :
- Can leftover mashed potatoes and/or tater tots be used?
- Is there anything I can substitute for the bacon in this potato chowder?
- The easy instructions for making tater tot chowder:
- Additional unique and delicious chowder recipes for you:
- Can gluten-free tater tot chowder be made in advance, and can it be frozen if needed?
- Additional tater tot recipes
- Gluten-Free Tater Tot Chowder
The ingredient list :
- Frozen Tater Tots
- Idaho Potatoes
- Vegetable Broth
- Cream Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Greek Yogurt
- Cheddar Cheese
- Green Onion
Can leftover mashed potatoes and/or tater tots be used?
- Yes. You can use leftovers of either of those things.
- Two or more cups of leftover mashed potatoes are needed, and two or more cups of leftover tater tots.
Is there anything I can substitute for the bacon in this potato chowder?
- Pancetta or diced salt pork will work.
- Diced pepperoni will also work, but add it in right before serving as there is no need to cook it.
- You can also leave the bacon out if desired. If you do, saute the vegetables in 2 tablespoons olive oil, or 2 tablespoons butter.
The easy instructions for making tater tot chowder:
- Cook tater tots according to package directions. Set aside.
- Cook 4 medium baking potatoes and allow to cool.
- Scoop out the center of the baked potatoes, discard the skins, and set the potatoes aside.
- Dice carrots, celery, and onions.
- Add the bacon to a large Dutch oven and saute over medium/high heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced carrots, celery and onions to the pot.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cooked potatoes to the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cream cheese and Greek yogurt.
- Add the cooked tater tots and stir well.
- Stir in the vegetable stock.
- Use a potato masher to break up the tater tots and larger baked potato chunks.
- Simmer over low heat to thicken for 10-15 minutes.
- Garnish with whole tater tots to finish along with chopped scallions and shredded cheddar cheese.
Additional unique and delicious chowder recipes for you:
Apple Corn Chowder is minimally sweet but has maximum flavor! It's a one pot comfort food meal that will satisfy everyone at the table in under 30 minutes!
Creamy Pumpkin Corn Chowder with Shrimp is an easy and seasonal way to upgrade a family favorite. Get ready for rave reviews when you set this thirty-minute meal on the table!
Thick, hearty, and delicious! This Roasted Sweet Potato and Wild Rice Chowder will warm your soul and tickle your taste buds.
Can gluten-free tater tot chowder be made in advance, and can it be frozen if needed?
- Yes. and Yes!
- If needed, make the chowder in advance and store in the refrigerator until ready to reheat (for up to 3 days). Reheat, covered, over medium/low heat until hot, stirring frequently.
- To freeze leftovers, spoon the chowder into freezer safe containers and store for up to 3 months. Thaw before reheating.
Additional tater tot recipes
This Ham and Cheese Tater Tot Breakfast Bake will become your weekend go-to breakfast or brunch staple because everyone loves it. Plus, it's quick to put on the table without much effort.
This quick to prepare 5-ingredient Smoked Sausage Tater Tot Casserole is a sure thing when it comes to pleasing every member of the family.
Tater Tot Poutine is my quick and easy take on the French-Canadian classic, but mine is made with everyone's favorite freezer staple...tater tots.
⭐If you've made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave it a star rating on the recipe card, along with a comment if you're so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
Gluten-Free Tater Tot Chowder
- 1 bag tater tots cooked according to package directions
- 4 medium Idaho potatoes baked, cooked, cooled, and scooped (discard skins)
- ¾ pound bacon cut into 1" pieces
- 1 onion medium chopped
- 3 large carrots medium chopped
- 3 ribs celery medium chopped
- 1 8-ounce cream cheese softened
- ½ cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese garnish
- ½ cup chopped green onions garnish
- After baking, keep half of the tater tots hot in a low oven.
- Cook the bacon pieces in a large Dutch oven over medium/high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped onion, carrot, and celery to the bacon, along with the salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the softened cream cheese and Greek yogurt to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Add half of the cooked tater tots and all of the baked potato to the pot along with the vegetable stock.
- Bring the chowder to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes to thicken. *Note - if the chowder is too thick for your liking, add a touch of water to the pot and cook accordingly.
- If desired, use a potato masher to mash some of the tater tots and baked potato into smaller (but still chunky) pieces.
- Spoon the chowder into bowls and garnish the remaining whole tater tots, green onion, and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's family-friendly gluten-free tater tot chowder recipe as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.