Why not give traditional mashed potatoes a little update? Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes are easy to make and taste amazing!!
It seems like everyone's favorite side dish is always mashed potatoes.
Not that traditional mashed potatoes needed help in the favorites category, but then again why not give them a little update?
- The ingredient list:
- Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- How long does this recipe take to make?
- Can instant potatoes be used for this recipe?
- Can store-bought pimento cheese be used in this recipe?
- Why this recipe works:
- How this recipe came to be:
- Can pimento mashed potatoes be frozen?
- Additional potato side dishes I know you'll also enjoy:
- How to make pimento cheese mashed potatoes:
- Printable Recipe Card
The ingredient list:
- russet potatoes
- sharp cheddar cheese
- diced pimentos
- prepared horseradish
- salt and pepper
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- large stockpot
- cheese grater
- large mixing bowl
- potato masher or potato ricer
- measuring cups and spoons
- wooden spoon or spatula
How long does this recipe take to make?
You're looking at approximately 50 minutes (until pure bliss), but a lot of that time is hands-off-time while the potatoes cook.
Making your own pimento cheese will take only about 10 minutes from start to finish.
Making the mashed potatoes will take approximately 35-45 minutes, and this includes the potato peeling time.
Stirring the pimento cheese into the mashed potatoes will take only 1-2 minutes.
Can instant potatoes be used for this recipe?
I'm all for using whatever you like and in taking shortcuts, if needed.
That said, if you're using instant mashed potatoes, I suggest that you cut back on the milk (just a touch) so the potatoes don't become too thin once the pimento cheese is stirred in.
Can store-bought pimento cheese be used in this recipe?
Sure thing. Why not?
However, making homemade pimento cheese is super simple and quick to make so I urge you to try making it at some point.
Why not bookmark this recipe and come back to it at a later date when you have a little more time to make homemade pimento cheese spread? You'll be glad you did!
Why this recipe works:
I'm not usually one to follow traditions when it comes to food and food holidays like Thanksgiving. What can I say?
I get bored easily, and I like to try new things. It's not always something that my family appreciates, but if I'm the one doing the cooking, then I'm the one who gets to decide what's on the menu. *insert evil laughter here*
Having said that, nobody argues or complains when it comes to having these Zippy Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes on the table. They're traditional... with a twist and zip!
How this recipe came to be:
Since making pimento cheese was something I've always wanted to do but never have, I figured that now was the time with Jenni's encouragement.
And, since I'd be making my very own pimento cheese, why wouldn't I go a step further and add it to mashed potatoes?
Because. Mashed potatoes, people!
Can pimento mashed potatoes be frozen?
Yes. Wrap them well or store them in air-tight containers for up to 4 months.
Thaw the frozen mashed potatoes in the refrigerator until completely thawed.
To reheat after frozen, stir well after freezing. Add the potatoes to an oven-safe casserole dish, cover, and reheat for 20-30 minutes at 350-degrees, or until hot.
Additional potato side dishes I know you'll also enjoy:
*Roasted Baby Potatoes with Garlic and Herbs (shown below)
These roasted baby potatoes are creamy in the center, and golden brown and crispy on the outside. Pair all that deliciousness with a dipping sauce made of mustard, horseradish, and mayonnaise and you have the perfect side dish or even a fun and unusual party appetizer!! YUM!!
*Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes (pictured below)
Deliciously easy and flavorful, this recipe of roasted cinnamon sweet potatoes with squash and apples is sure to become a favorite side dish for any occasion!
How to make pimento cheese mashed potatoes:
- Shred 2 pounds sharp cheddar cheese.
- Add the cheese to a large bowl along with drained pimentos, mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish and black pepper.
- Mix well to combine.
- Mash russet potatoes along with softened butter, milk, pepper, and pimento cheese.
- Serve immediately, or place in a large serving dish and reheat as needed.
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes
For the pimento cheese:
- 2 pounds sharp cheddar cheese grated
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 4 ounces diced pimentos drained
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the mashed potatoes:
- 5½ quarts water
- 1½ tablespoons salt
- 5 pounds russet potatoes peeled and cut into 3" chunks
- ¾ cups warmed milk to the touch, plus additional if desired
- ½ teaspoon black peper
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 cup prepared pimento cheese
- Place all the ingredients for the pimento cheese in a large bowl and stir well to combine.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes until fork-tender. Drain.
- Add 1 cup of the prepared pimento cheese, butter, warmed milk, and black pepper to the boiled potatoes.
- Use a potato masher to mash to your desired consistency (adding more warm milk if desired).
- Serve warm or place the potatoes in a baking dish, cover, and refrigerate.
- Refrigerate remaining pimento cheese and use it as a spread for crackers, sandwiches, or vegetables.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's cheesy mashed potato recipe as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!