If you're a garlic lover then you MUST try this Garlic Lover's Pizza! The crust is super simple to make and is the perfect thickness to hold all the garlicy, cheesy goodness this pizza possesses!
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions and complete ingredient measurements for making Garlic Lover's Pizza, Kudos Kitchen Style is available near the end of this post. OR you can "jump to recipe" (shown above) to be taken directly there.
The ingredient list:
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- beef stock
- dehydrated onion
- all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- garlic powder
- olive oil
- fresh mozzarella
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups and spoons
- 3-quart saucepan
- large cast iron skillet
- cutting board
- serrated knife
- pastry brush
- pizza wheel
- kitchen timer
How this recipe came to be:
Whenever we order pizza from our favorite local pizza joint, nine times out of ten we order their garlic lover's pizza.
Since that's the case, back in 2011, I posted my version of the garlic lover's pizza we love so much!
Today I'm updating the same post with all new photos and text, but the recipe remains unchanged except for the fact that this time I made my favorite deep dish garlic lover's pizza in a cast-iron skillet.
Why this recipe works:
I'll admit it. This deep dish garlic lover's pizza probably has the most unusual crust recipe than any other pizza you've ever seen. After all, who adds beef broth and instant minced onion to a pizza crust? ME!!! And now I hope you will, too!
The extra flavor these surprise ingredients impart in the dough are outstanding, and they completely take this garlic lover's pizza to over-the-moon flavor status!
Additional garlic lovers pizza topping suggestions:
- cooked sausage
- green pepper
- fresh basil
The toppings for your Deep Dish Garlic Lover's Pizza can be as I've shown in the recipe card, or you can load it up with all your favorites. Your call.
You can do whatever strikes your fancy, as long as you don't skimp on the garlic!!!
Can the dough to this pizza be made in advance?
Feel free to make the dough and keep it in the refrigerator (after proofing, and in an air-tight container) for up to 2 days prior to baking the pizza.
When ready to bake, allow the dough to come to room temperature and then continue with the recipe as written.
Can this pizza be frozen after baking?
Yes, but be aware that if you're using fresh, sliced tomatoes (as shown), once thawed the tomatoes may become very soft and watery.
How to reheat leftovers:
If refrigerated: Preheat the oven to 350-degrees Fahrenheit and place pizza slices on a baking sheet. Bake (uncovered) for 20 minutes, or until hot.
If frozen: Preheat the oven to 375-degrees Fahrenheit. Place the frozen pizza slices on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until hot.
What's the purpose of the cornmeal in the skillet?
It will prevent the dough from sticking to the skillet and it will also give the pizza dough a nice crunch and texture.
Can store-bought pizza dough be used in this recipe?
Sure. Why not?
Follow the package instructions on the pizza dough and then continue the recipe as written adding it to the skillet with the toppings of your choice.
Can pizza sauce be used in place of fresh tomatoes?
If you prefer a sauce to fresh tomatoes, or if fresh tomatoes aren't in season, feel free to add a light layer of your favorite pizza sauce in place of the sliced tomatoes.
The step-by-step photo instructions for making deep dish garlic lovers pizza:
To make the homemade dough:
- Bring the beef broth, water, butter, and dehydrated onion to a simmer in a stockpot.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool to a warm-to-the-touch temperature.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, pepper, yeast, oregano, and basil.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients
- Stir until just blended and then turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead by hand until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Oil the top of the dough and return it to the bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise until doubled, approximately 60 minutes.
- Punch down the risen dough to deflate.
- Oil the bottom of a 12" skillet and sprinkle the bottom with cornmeal.
- Add the deflated dough to the skillet and press the dough evenly in the bottom to cover.
- Bake the crust in a preheated 400-degree oven for 15 minutes.
To top the dough and bake the pizza:
- Remove the skillet and use a knuckle to press dimples all over the top of the pre-cooked dough.
- Brush olive oil and the minced garlic over the top of the dough.
- Arrange the seasoned tomato slices over the garlic crust and layer with the mozzarella slices.
- Sprinkle additional basil and oregano over the top of the pizza and bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden, and the cheese is bubbly, browned, and melted.
I hope you're hungry because your pizza is ready!
Additional Italian inspired recipes:
*White Bean, Fennel & Italian Sausage Soup (shown below)
This hearty White Bean, Fennel & Italian Sausage Soup is sure to please the entire family. The depth of flavor from the blend of sweet fennel and the white beans is a sumptuous treat for the taste buds.
*Italian Sausage Caprese Sandwich (shown below and featured in the video)
In the blink of an eye, and in only the time takes to cook Italian sausages you can have a deliciously easy Caprese Sausage Sandwich for dinner tonight!
*Spaghetti Stuffed Garlic Cheese Bread (shown below)
What do you get when you combine two culinary favorites into one fantastically fun family dinner? Spaghetti Stuffed Garlic Bread, that’s what! Or, as I like to call it, a spaghetti sandwich!
*Deep Dish Garlic Lover's Pizza (shown below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today's homemade garlic lover's pizza!
If you've made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave it a star rating on the recipe card, along with a comment if you're so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
Deep Dish Garlic Lover's Pizza
- ¾ cup beef stock
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup butter
- 1½ tablespoons dehydrated minced onion
- 3 - 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for kneading
- 1 package (2½ teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, plus additional for topping
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, plus additional for topping
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus additional to season the tomato slices
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, plus additional to season the tomato slices
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- In a small saucepan (over low heat) heat beef broth, water, butter, and onion until the butter is just melted. Set aside and allow to cool slightly so that you can comfortably stick your finger in and not be burned.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, yeast, garlic powder, salt, basil, and oregano.
- Add the warm beef stock mixture into the flour mixture and stir to just combine.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and hand knead until the dough is smooth and elastic (approximately 5 minutes).
- Return the dough to the bowl and rub the top with olive oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise until doubled, approximately 60 minutes.
- Brush the bottom of a 12" skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle the cornmeal evenly on the bottom of the skillet.
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees.
- Deflate the risen dough and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Add the deflated dough to the skillet and press it to evenly cover the entire bottom of the skillet.
- Partially bake the pizza dough in a preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes. Remove the dough from the oven.
- Use your knuckel to press surface holes (dimples) over the entire crust and brush the top of the partially baked dough with the minced garlic and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Top the entire surface with the tomato slices (seasoned with salt and pepper), and the sliced mozzarella.
- Sprinkle the top of the pizza with additional basil and oregano.
- Bake the pizza in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is browned and melted.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for Deep Dish Garlic Lover's Pizza as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – Where I joyously bring you easy, economical, and delicious comfort food dishes to feed the people you love!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!