For those times when you can’t decide what to make for dinner, I suggest you whip up this Unbelievably Cheesy Pizza Mac & Cheese. It’s a cross between two of your favorite things, pizza, and mac and cheese. Your family will thank you!
I’m proud and pleased to tell you that almost all of the recipes you’ll find here at Kudos Kitchen by Renee are my very own. It’s pretty rare that I share another recipe source, but when I do, I make sure to tell you.
This recipe for Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni & Cheese is not mine. It’s one I found in the June 2017 issue of Cuisine At Home Magazine, and when I saw it I knew I had to make it right away. I hope you enjoy it. It’s one of the best family-friendly recipes you’ll find because it pleases just about everyone!
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making macaroni pizza is available near the end of this post.
The ingredient list for making macaroni and cheese pizza;
- Penne Pasta
- Green bell pepper
- Red onion
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Basil
- Provolone Cheese
- Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
- Marinara Sauce (homemade or store-bought)
Why this recipe for pizza mac and cheese works:
The thing I like most about this recipe (other than all the CHEESE), is how easy it is to make on a busy weeknight.
By cooking the pasta while the vegetables are sauteing, and the cheese sauce thickens, Pizza Mac & Cheese can be on the dinner table in less time than it takes to order from your favorite take-out place.
Since my husband and I both love green peppers and onions on our pizza, I’ve added them to this recipe. However, you can tweak the ingredients to fit your pizza preference if green peppers and onions aren’t your things.
Alternate add-in suggestions for macaroni pizza;
- Cooked Sausage
- Meatballs (precooked)
- You name it!
Can macaroni pizza be frozen?
Yes! Once cooked and cooled, store the macaroni pizza in an airtight freezer container for up to 3 months.
To recook from frozen, place in an oven-safe casserole dish, covered, and cook at 350-degrees until heated through (approximately 1 hour). Uncover and continue cooking for an additional 15-20 minutes, if needed.
See below for the easy step-by-step photos and instructions.
How to make Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni and Cheese;
- In a large skillet sauté green pepper and onion over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sliced pepperoni and cook for 2-3 additional minutes.
- Stir in all-purpose flour and combine.
- Stir the milk into the veggie and flour mixture and heat through, stirring frequently.
- Add the dried herbs.
- Once the sauce has thickened, stir in half of the shredded cheeses and the cooked pasta.
- Stir well to combine.
- Spoon marinara sauce liberally over the pasta.
- Top the pasta with more cheese and pepperoni slices.
- Bake in a preheated oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly!
- Remove the Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni & Cheese from the oven.
- Cool slightly before serving.
Creamy, cozy, comforting, and delicious. What more can you ask for when you’re cooking for your family?!!
Serve this pepperoni pizza pasta along with a colorful side salad, and you’ll gain some valuable cooking points that will carry over for the next few weeks at least, and who can’t benefit from a few extra cooking-points no matter who you’re cooking for?!!
For other delicious and easy recipes to serve alongside this pepperoni pizza macaroni and cheese, please click on the following titles for;
- Heirloom Tomato Salad with Garlic & Lemon
- BLT Layered Salad with Homemade Croutons
- Foolproof Italian Herb Parmesan Quick Bread
- Easy Cheesy Garlic Pull-Apart Bread
- Cinnamon Sugar Apple Pie Wedges
- Lemon Meringue Tartlets
Don’t forget to print this recipe for Mac and Cheese Pizza found below!
For those times when you can’t decide what to eat, I suggest you whip up this Unbelievably Cheesy Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni & Cheese. It’s a cross between two of your favorite things.
- 1 box of penne pasta cooked according to package directions, drained, and kept warm.
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 package (6 ounces) pepperoni slices reserve 12 for the topping
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3½ cups milk warmed slightly
- 1½ teaspoons dried basil
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 9 ounces provolone cheese about 3 cups, shredded and divided
- 6 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese about 2 cups, shredded and divided
- 1½ cups marinara sauce
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large skillet over medium/high heat, sweat the green pepper and onion in the olive oil, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes.
Add the chopped pepperoni and continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
Turn the heat to medium and stir in the flour. Cook, stirring frequently for 1 minute
Slowly stir in the milk along with the basil and oregano.
Continue to stir until the liquid begins to bubble and thicken.
Stir in 1½ cups of provolone and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
Add the cooked and drained pasta to the cheese sauce and stir well to combine.
Turn the heat off under the skillet and top the pasta evenly with the marinara sauce.
Top the pasta and sauce evenly with the remaining cheese and top with the rounds of pepperoni.
Carefully place the skillet in a preheated oven and cook until the cheese is browned and bubbly, approximately 15-20 minutes.
Allow the pasta to cool slightly before serving.
Tools and equipment:
Large pasta pot, large skillet, wooden spoon or spatula, cheese grater
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s recipe for pizza mac and cheese as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you.
I’m coordinating this recipe with my fun and whimsical hand-painted ITALIAN FOOD INSPIRED WINE GLASS. This was a customer special order a while back and since I was super happy with how it turned out I decided to share it with this Italian inspired recipe.
Should you have any questions regarding today’s recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
Don’t forget to follow me on social media!
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!