For those times when you can’t decide what to eat, I suggest you whip up this Unbelievably Cheesy Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni & Cheese. It’s a cross between two of your favorite things, pizza and pasta. Your family will thank you!
I’m proud and pleased to tell you that almost all of the recipes you’ll find here at Kudos Kitchen by Renee are my very own. It’s pretty rare that I share another recipe source, but when I do, I make sure to tell you. This recipe for Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni & Cheese is not mine. It’s one I found in the June 2017 issue of Cuisine At Home Magazine, and when I saw it I knew I had to make it right away. I hope you enjoy it. It’s one of the best family friendly recipes you’ll find because it pleases just about everyone!
The thing I like most about this recipe (other than all the CHEESE), is how easy it is to make on a busy weeknight. By cooking the pasta while the vegetables are sauteing and the cheese sauce thickens, this Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni & Cheese can be on the dinner table in less time than it takes to order from your favorite take-out place.
Since my husband and I both love green peppers and onions on our pizza, I’ve added them to this recipe. However, you can tweak the ingredients to fit your pizza preference if green peppers and onions aren’t your things. Mushrooms, olives, spinach, garlic…you name it! If you like it on your pizza, you should add it to your pizza pasta. And, if you’re not a fan of pepperoni you can always leave it out, or substitute Italian sausage (or meatballs), as long as they’re fully cooked first. If you have any questions, please contact me or leave a comment in the comment section. I’m happy to help in anyway I can.
The grocery list to make the Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni & Cheese isn’t long, and as I mentioned above can be switched up if desired. Here are the items I’ve used: penne pasta, pepperoni, green bell pepper, red onion, dried oregano, dried basil, milk, flour, provolone cheese, sharp white cheddar cheese, and jarred marinara sauce. The actual ingredient quantities are listed in the printable recipe.
Are you ready for a quick walk-through of this Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni & Cheese recipe? Good. Let’s get started!
In a large skillet sauté green pepper and onion over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the sliced pepperoni and cook for 2-3 additional minutes. Stir in all-purpose flour and combine.
Stir the milk into the veggie and flour mixture and heat through, stirring frequently. Add the dried herbs…
Once the sauce has thickened, stir in half of the shredded cheeses and the cooked pasta. Stir well to combine.
Spoon marinara sauce liberally over the pasta. Top the pasta with more cheese and pepperoni slices. Bake in a preheated oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly!
Remove the Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni & Cheese from the oven. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!!
Creamy, cozy, comforting, and delicious. What more can you ask for when you’re cooking for your family?!! Serve this with a colorful side salad, and you’ll gain mom cooking points that will carry over for the next few months at least!!
- 1 box of penne pasta cooked according to package directions, drained, and kept warm.
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 package 6 ounces sliced pepperoni, chopped (reserve 10-12 rounds for the topping)
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3½ cups milk warmed slightly
- 1½ teaspoons dried basil
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 9 ounces provolone cheese about 3 cups, shredded and divided
- 6 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese about 2 cups, shredded and divided
- 1½ cups marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium/high heat, sweat the green pepper and onion in the olive oil, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped pepperoni and continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium and stir in the flour. Cook, stirring frequently for 1 minute
- Slowly stir in the milk along with the basil and oregano.
- Continue to stir until the liquid begins to bubble and thicken.
- Stir in 1½ cups of provolone and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta to the cheese sauce and stir well to combine.
- Turn the heat off under the skillet and top the pasta evenly with the marinara sauce.
- Top the pasta and sauce evenly with the remaining cheese and top with the rounds of pepperoni.
- Carefully place the skillet in a preheated oven and cook until the cheese is browned and bubbly, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Allow the pasta to cool slightly before serving.
Tools and equipment:
Large pasta pot
Wooden spoon or spatula
If you’re looking for some delicious sides or desserts to serve along with the Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni & Cheese, might I suggest the following:
I hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you. I know it will soon become a family favorite and one you’ll make time and again.
I’m coordinating this recipe with my fun and whimsical hand painted ITALIAN FOOD INSPIRED WINE GLASS. This was a customer special order a while back and since I was super happy with how it turned out I decided to add it to MY SHOP in case anyone else wanted to order one.
All of my hand painted glassware items are painted to order and unique. Personalization is always free (if requested), and each piece comes in its own gift box. Custom orders are always welcome. If there is something I can paint for you (from glassware to fabrics), please don’t hesitate to contact me for a price quote, or visit my shop.
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art, and fun collide each and every day!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!