For those times when you can't decide what to make for dinner, I suggest you whip up this Pizza Mac & Cheese. It's a cross between two of your favorite things...pizza, and mac and cheese. Your family will thank you!
Easy. Cheesy. And undeniably delicious. Pepperoni pizza mac and cheese is a perfect family dinner for any night of the week.
This recipe for Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni & Cheese is not mine. It's one I found in the June 2017 issue of Cuisine At Home Magazine, and when I saw it I knew I had to make it right away. I hope you enjoy it. It's one of the best family-friendly recipes you'll find because it pleases just about everyone!
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making macaroni pizza is available near the end of this post. OR find the "jump to recipe" text (shown below) to be taken directly to the recipe.Jump to Recipe
The ingredient list:
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- Penne Pasta
- Green bell pepper
- Red onion
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Basil
- Provolone Cheese
- Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
- Marinara Sauce (homemade or store-bought)
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
Why this recipe for pizza mac and cheese works:
The thing I like most about this recipe (other than all the CHEESE), is how easy it is to make on a busy weeknight.
By cooking the pasta while the vegetables are sauteing, and the cheese sauce thickens, Pizza Mac & Cheese can be on the dinner table in less time than it takes to order from your favorite take-out place.
Since my husband and I both love green peppers and onions on our pizza, I've added them to this recipe. However, you can tweak the ingredients to fit your pizza preference if green peppers and onions aren't your things.
Alternate add-in suggestions for macaroni pizza;
- Cooked Sausage
- Meatballs (precooked)
- You name it!
Can pizza macaroni and cheese be frozen?
Yes! Once cooked and cooled, store the macaroni pizza in an airtight freezer container for up to 3 months.
To recook from frozen, place in an oven-safe casserole dish, covered, and cook at 350-degrees until heated through (approximately 1 hour). Uncover and continue cooking for an additional 15-20 minutes, if needed.
How to make Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni and Cheese:
- In a large skillet sauté green pepper and onion over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sliced pepperoni and cook for 2-3 additional minutes.
- Stir in all-purpose flour and combine.
- Stir the milk into the veggie and flour mixture and heat through, stirring frequently.
- Add the dried herbs.
- Once the sauce has thickened, stir in half of the shredded cheeses and the cooked pasta.
- Stir well to combine.
- Spoon marinara sauce liberally over the pasta.
- Top the pasta with more cheese and pepperoni slices.
- Bake in a preheated oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly!
- Remove the Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni & Cheese from the oven.
- Cool slightly before serving.
Creamy, cozy, comforting, and delicious. What more can you ask for when you're cooking for your family?!!
Serve this pepperoni pizza pasta along with a colorful side salad, and you'll gain some valuable cooking points that will carry over for the next few weeks at least, and who can't benefit from a few extra cooking-points no matter who you're cooking for?!!
Delicious recipes to serve alongside pepperoni pizza macaroni and cheese:
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today's easy dinner recipe of pepperoni pizza mac and cheese.
Macaroni and Cheese Pizza
- 1 box of penne pasta cooked according to package directions, drained, and kept warm.
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 package (6 ounces) pepperoni slices reserve 12 for the topping
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3½ cups milk warmed slightly
- 1½ teaspoons dried basil
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 9 ounces provolone cheese about 3 cups, shredded and divided
- 6 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese about 2 cups, shredded and divided
- 1½ cups marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium/high heat, sweat the green pepper and onion in the olive oil, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the chopped pepperoni and continue to cook for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium and stir in the flour. Cook, stirring frequently for 1 minute
- Slowly stir in the milk along with the basil and oregano.
- Continue to stir until the liquid begins to bubble and thicken.
- Stir in 1½ cups of provolone and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
- Add the cooked and drained pasta to the cheese sauce and stir well to combine.
- Turn the heat off under the skillet and top the pasta evenly with the marinara sauce.
- Top the pasta and sauce evenly with the remaining cheese and top with the rounds of pepperoni.
- Carefully place the skillet in a preheated oven and cook until the cheese is browned and bubbly, approximately 15-20 minutes.
- Allow the pasta to cool slightly before serving.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for pizza mac and cheese as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you.