This Classic Swiss Cheese Fondue is rich, creamy and super cheesy with just the right amount of Pinot Grigio along with a splash of nutty Amaretto to keep things extra flavorful. Perfect for use with all kind of dippers. It’s as warm as a comforting hug on a cold winter’s night.
Giving comfort to those in need is a wonderful thing and should not be holiday exclusive. It should be something we all think about and do on a regular basis. However, as we all know, life gets busy, and we tend sometimes to forget that there are others in this world who need help from time to time. Whether it’s a warm meal, a comforting hug or a hand up to those who are down on their luck.
This month, with the help of Gallo Family Vineyards, the #SundaySupper team has come up with a few special ways we can all give a little comfort where comfort is needed and is also some much-needed nourishment for the soul.
Yield: 3 cups Prep Time: 30 minutes
For the fondue:
1 cup Gallo Family Pinot Grigio
1 large shallot, minced
1 tablespoon butter
8 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
8 ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
4 ounces Colby cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/8 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1½ tablespoon amarettoSuggested Dippers:
broccoli florets, microwaved slightly to soften
sourdough bread cubes, cut into bite-sized chunks
red potatoes, cubed and microwaved to cook through but not mushy
ham steak, cut into cubes and lightly sauteed to brown
Gala apples, cored and cut into slices-In a medium saucepan over medium heat, saute the shallot in the butter until softened.
-Add the Gallo Family Pinot Grigio and bring to a simmer.
-Stir in shredded cheeses and stir until melted and creamy.
-Stir in the apple cider vinegar, black pepper, nutmeg, and amaretto.
-Transfer the fondue to a fondue pot and serve with your choice of dippers.
To me, comfort is also cooking and baking along with the other #SundaySupper team members. There is something so special about the food and wine community and our shared love of all things delicious that gives me a wonderful sense of belonging and friendship. Please click on the links below to visit their unique and personal “Giving Comfort” recipes, and stories:
Comforting Appetizers and Beverages:
- Acorn Squash Cheese Spread with Spinach and Artichokes by Ruffles & Truffles
- Pomegranate Mulled Wine by The Messy Baker
Comforting Entrees, Soups, and Stews:
- Beef and Mushroom Pot Pie by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Beef Goulash by Magnolia Days
- Beef Stew with Puff Pastry by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Cheesy French Onion Soup by Life Tastes Good
- Chicken and Corn Chowder by The Girl In the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Parmesan Panini by Casa de Crews
- Classic Swiss Fondue by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Meatloaf by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Johnny Marzetti by NeighborFood
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Flatbread by Family Foodie
- White Wine Cream Sauce Poached Shrimp by A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
Comforting Side Dishes:
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Parmesan and Dates by Shockingly Delicious
- Stuffed Acorn Squash by Jelly Toast
Comforting Brunch, Desserts, and Sweets:
- Baked Pumpkin French Toast by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesecake Bites with Red Wine Chocolate Sauce by Momma’s Meals
- Dark Chocolate Red Wine Cake with Red Wine Raspberry Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gooey Autumn Spice Brownie Cups by Desserts Required
- Pear Streusel Coffee Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Until we eat again,