This easy and delicious skillet Sloppy Joe recipe comes together quickly and with some pretty basic ingredients. If you love sloppy Joes, then you're going to go crazy for Salsa Sloppy Joe's.
When time is tight and you don't want to fuss with dinner, this tasty loose meat sandwich is just the ticket. With only a handful of basic ingredients, you'll be sitting down to a hearty meal in no time.
- The easy ingredient list:
- Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- How this recipe came to be:
- How long does this recipe take to make?
- How many sloppy joe sandwiches will this recipe make?
- Can ground turkey be used in this recipe?
- Can salsa sloppy joes be made in advance and reheated?
- Can salsa sloppy joes be frozen?
- What are some additional topping suggestions for these sloppy joes?
- How to make salsa sloppy joes:
- Side dish suggestions to serve with your salsa sloppy joes:
- Additional recipes featuring salsa:
- Printable Recipe Card
- Salsa Sloppy Joes
The easy ingredient list:
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- ground beef
- onions, chopped
- jarred salsa
- tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- fresh lime juice
- avocado slices, optional
- cheese, optional
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- large skillet, or outdoor flat top grill
- measuring cups and spoons
- chef's knife
- cutting board
- citrus juicer (optional)
- jar opener (optional)
How this recipe came to be:
My mom and my sister were coming over for lunch.
We had just gotten our new outdoor flat top grill and I wanted to make something easy and quick that I could prepare on the flat top to show them how fun the flat top grill is to use.
On my way to the grocery store, I had a light bulb moment and came up with this idea for salsa sloppy joes.
The taste of these loose meat sandwiches were such a hit that day, I decided to make them again (this time in a skillet, inside) and bring the recipe to you!
How long does this recipe take to make?
Using two pounds of ground beef, this recipe will take approximately 20 minutes to make from start to finish.
Naturally using more ground meat (to make more sandwiches) will take longer, and using less ground meat (to make fewer sandwiches) will take even less time.
How many sloppy joe sandwiches will this recipe make?
As written, this recipe will make approximately 8 - 10 sandwiches depending on how much salsa sloppy joe mixture you add to your buns.
Should you want or need to cut the recipe in half (or possibly even increase the quantity), it's super easy to do so with this recipe by adjusting the ingredient amounts.
If you'd like to increase the quantity for feeding a large crowd, I suggest making the recipe in batches and then combine the batches into a large stockpot or slow cooker.
Can ground turkey be used in this recipe?
If you're looking to use leaner ground meat, ground turkey is a great option for this sandwich.
Can salsa sloppy joes be made in advance and reheated?
After making the sloppy joes, cool the mixture completely and refrigerate for up to 5 days in a covered air-tight container.
To reheat, place the sloppy joes in a skillet, large stock pot, or even a slow cooker (depending on the quantity you're reheating) and simmer or cook on low, until heated through.
Can salsa sloppy joes be frozen?
Yes! But do not freeze them as already made up sandwiches.
Store the prepared sloppy joe mixture in an air-tight freezer container and freeze for up to 4 months.
Thaw, reheat, and prepare the sandwiches as desired.
What are some additional topping suggestions for these sloppy joes?
- Any cheese that happens to be your favorite.
- sour cream
- pickled onions
- raw red onions
- yellow mustard
- potato chips
- corn chips
- what would you add? I'd love to know.
How to make salsa sloppy joes:
- Chop 1 medium red onion.
- In a large skillet over medium/high heat saute the chopped onions in olive oil.
- Add the ground beef, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until browned.
- Add tomato paste and stir well.
- Stir in salsa, and lime juice.
- Spoon the salsa sloppy joe mixture onto buns.
- Add cheese and top with avocado slices.
Side dish suggestions to serve with your salsa sloppy joes:
*Mexican Street Corn Risotto (pictured below)
"If you love Mexican street corn (and who doesn’t), it’s time to think outside the husk with this Mexican Street Corn Risotto."
*Best-Ever Side Dish Recipe Roundup
*Sunflower Crunch Kale and Cabbage Salad (pictured below)
"Crunchy, healthy, and completely addictive. This Sunflower Crunch Kale and Cabbage Salad has it ALL going on!! Dig in! You’re going to love this colorful salad!"
*Roasted Baby Potatoes with Garlic and Herbs (pictured below)
"These roasted baby potatoes are creamy in the center, and golden brown and crispy on the outside. Pair all that deliciousness with a dipping sauce made of mustard, horseradish, and mayonnaise and you have the perfect side dish or even a fun and unusual party appetizer!!"
Additional recipes featuring salsa:
When you want a hot, hearty, and healthy meal that takes less than 20 minutes to prepare and will satisfy the entire family, put on a pot of Salsa Soup with Chicken and Rice, and set the table. It will be dinnertime soon!
Shredded Salsa Chicken made in an Instant Pot is a low-carb, fast, no-fuss dinner option that takes only moments to assemble and minutes to cook. Dinner will be on the table almost as fast as you can say "Winner, winner, shredded salsa chicken for dinner!
Serve this Black-Eyed Pea Salsa on New Year's day and your year ahead will be filled with good luck, good health, and great taste!
⭐If you've made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave it a star rating on the recipe card, along with a comment if you're so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
Printable Recipe Card
Salsa Sloppy Joes
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¾ cup prepared salsa
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice plus additional for the avocado slices.
- 8 buns
- 16 slices cheddar cheese or your favorite cheese
- avocado slices optional
- In a large skillet over medium/high heat, saute the onions in olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink.
- Add the tomato paste and stir well to combine.
- Add the salsa and lime juice.
- Stir well to heat through.
- Spoon the salsa sloppy joes onto buns with 2 slices of cheese each, top with avocado slices, a squeeze of lime (to keep the avocados from discoloring), and a pinch of salt and pepper.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's fast and easy ground beef recipe as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
I want to make them for 4th, any suggestions for preparing in advance like one day before? thanks for sharing
They'll be great for the 4th of July, Cindy.
Make them in advance and store the pre-made ground beef mixture in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
You can reheat them in a skillet, or even in the microwave.
Assemble the sandwiches right before serving.
Enjoy. I know you're going to love them.
Take good care,