Slow Cooker Homestyle Apple Pear Sauce with Amaretto is a perfect blend of apples, pears, and a touch of amaretto for sweetness and a light almond flavor. Move over grandma; your traditional applesauce just got kicked up a notch.
You guys, it's apple season! Can you feel the slight chill in the air and the warm scent of cinnamon that is just about everywhere? Yeah, me either, but I'm hopeful that it will happen soon.
What I wrote about this recipe in 2016:
Even though it's September, today in Illinois where I live the temperatures are supposed to be in the 90's with a heat index in the 100's. UGH! Oh well. Since there's nothing I can do about the outside temperatures, I might as well make it feel like fall on the inside and cook up a batch of Slow Cooker Homestyle Apple Pear Sauce with Amaretto.
Why this recipe works:
- There are a few things that make this applesauce different than the kind grandma used to make. The first (and tastiest) difference is the addition of the amaretto.
- The second difference is that it's made in a slow cooker (grandma only wishes she had such conveniences, depending on how old your grandma is, of course. LOL).
- The third is that it's a mash-up of apples and pears.
- And the fourth and final difference is that I left the peels on the fruit so they could impart all their vitamins and nutrients to the sauce.
To peel or not to peel? That is the question!
Of course, if you're not a fan of leaving the peels on, by all means, take them off and continue with the recipe as written. Either way, you'll have an amazingly flavorful sauce that tastes just like fall in a bowl.
Uses for apple pear sauce:
Since I know you'll love the flavor of this apple pear sauce as much as we do, might I suggest you use it in all sorts of sweet and savory dishes?
What about slathering it all over a pork roast or some pork chops during the last 30 minutes of cooking?
Why not consider using it in tarts, pies or turnovers?
And, by all means, don't forget to use it in muffin and cake mixes in place of oil and butter to hold down the calorie count, and yet still impart all its lovely fall flavor?
YUM! Anywhere you'd use traditional applesauce, use this instead. You'll be happy you did!
The easy instructions:
Wash the apples and pears. Roughly chop the fruit into approximately 2" pieces and discard the cores.
Place the chopped fruit in a 5–7-quart slow cooker, along with salt, butter, honey, cinnamon, and freshly grated nutmeg.
Add a splash of Amaretto and lemon zest. Stir to combine.
Cover and cook on low for 6 hours until soft. Mash if desired to break up larger chunks of fruit. Cool, chill and serve.
Additional slow cooker recipes:
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
Slow Cooker Homestyle Apple Pear Sauce with Amaretto
- 7 medium/large apples I used Gala, skin on (if desired), core removed, and chopped into 2" chunks
- 3 large Bartlett pears skin on (if desired), core removed, and chopped into 2" chunks
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons amaretto
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- Place all the ingredients into a 5-7 quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for approximately 6 hours.
- Uncover and mash if desired.
- Cool and serve.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed this recipe for Slow Cooker Homestyle Apple Pear Sauce with Amaretto as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you.
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!