Roasted Garlic Cheese Bread with Rosemary and Smoked Mozzarella works equally well as a delicious appetizer, a side dish for a BBQ or family meal, or even a meatless entrée. It's utterly delicious no matter how to plan to serve it!
Today's quick and easy garlic bread takes advantage of store-bought and toasted Vienna bread which is then topped with oven-roasted garlic, smoked mozzarella cheese, and chopped fresh rosemary. Be still my heart!!
Oven-roasted garlic is so easy and delicious to make that you just might want to make extra to spread on your morning toast...but maybe that's just me! 😉
- The ingredient list:
- Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- How to make roasted garlic?
- Can roasted garlic be made in advance?
- What herbs can be used in place of the rosemary for this garlic bread?
- Can roasted garlic bread be frozen?
- Will the garlic cheese bread work for making a sandwich?
- How to make roasted garlic bread:
- Can meat be added to this roasted garlic bread recipe?
- Here are more delicious BBQ side dishes I know you'll also enjoy:
- Printable Recipe Card
- Roasted Garlic Cheese Bread with Rosemary
The ingredient list:
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- Vienna Bread or French Bread
- Smoked Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- Whole Garlic Cloves, roasted
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Fresh Rosemary, minced
- Parmesan Cheese, grated
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- baking sheets
- aluminum foil
- serrated knife
- offset spatula
- cheese grater
- chef's knife
- cutting board
- measuring cups and spoons (optional)
The flavor of roasted garlic!
If you've never tasted roasted garlic, you don't know what you're missing. I strongly urge you to try it.
The flavor of the garlic turns mellow, and a little bit sweet.
The roasted and softened garlic cloves are not nearly as pungent and overpowering as raw garlic, and you can actually squeeze the roasted garlic "paste" right out of its paper-like container.
It is quite a lovely thing!
How to make roasted garlic?
- Slice the top off 2 heads of garlic. (see photos below)
- Wrap the bottom part of the garlic in a bit of aluminum foil.
- Discard the top.
- Drizzle the cut garlic with a little bit of olive oil and a light sprinkling of salt.
- Close the aluminum "package" and place the garlic in a preheated (425 degree) oven to roast for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Unwrap and squeeze the roasted garlic out of its paper shell and use it for any recipe where you want a mild, nutty garlic flavor.
Can roasted garlic be made in advance?
To make this Roasted Garlic Rosemary Cheese Bread a little faster to prepare, plan ahead and roast your garlic in advance of making this recipe.
Once roasted you can store your well-wrapped garlic in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
What herbs can be used in place of the rosemary for this garlic bread?
My suggestions are as follows, but feel free to experiment with some of your favorites;
Can roasted garlic bread be frozen?
After it's been baked an fully cooled, wrap it well in foil or plastic wrap and keep in the freezer for up to two months.
Will the garlic cheese bread work for making a sandwich?
Do you even need to ask? LOL
I suggest the following items for sandwiching between two hunks of this amazing cheesy garlic bread;
- Italian beef
- Italian sausage
- turkey slices
- shredded rotisserie chicken
- pulled pork
- pork tenderloin slices
- thinly sliced cardboard 😉
- you get the gist!
How to make roasted garlic bread:
- Use a serrated knife to cut a long loaf of bread evenly down the center, horizontally.
- Bake the bread, cut side down in a preheated 425-degree oven until golden and toasted.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic onto the toasted bread and use an offset spatula or butter knife to spread it evenly from one end of the bread to the other.
- Grate the smoked mozzarella cheese and mince the rosemary.
- Spread the grated mozzarella, Parmesan cheese, and herbs evenly onto the garlic bread and bake in a 425-degree oven for approximately 10 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and melted.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Can meat be added to this roasted garlic bread recipe?
Just make sure the meat is precooked and you're good to go.
Might I suggest the following;
- cooked Italian sausage
- cooked chicken
- cooked smoked sausage
- cooked pork sausage
- cooked bratwurst
- cooked ground beef
- cooked ground pork
- cooked ground turkey
Here are more delicious BBQ side dishes I know you'll also enjoy:
- Best BBQ Side Dishes (pictured below) from all your favorite food bloggers from around the web.
With the help of this BBQ Side Dishes recipe roundup, your BBQ menu will keep your family and friends very full, and extremely happy!
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
Roasted Garlic Cheese Bread with Rosemary
For the roasted garlic:
- 2 heads garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the cheese bread:
- 1 loaf Vienna or Italian Bread sliced in half lengthwise
- 8 ounces smoked mozzarella cheese , shredded
- 2 tablespoons minced rosemary , fresh
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese , grated
- black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees Fahrenheit.
To roast the garlic:
- Cut the heads off the garlic (approximately 1" down from the top).
- Drizzle the cut garlic with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil and roast in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
To make the bread:
- Place the bread cut side down on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven for approximately 10-12 minutes. Remove the bread from the oven when golden.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic onto the toasted bread and spread the garlic evenly over the bread.
- Top the garlic bread evenly with the shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and sprinkle with minced rosemary and black pepper.
- Return the garlic cheese bread to the oven and continue baking until the cheese is golden and bubbly (approximately 15 minutes).
- Slice and serve hot or at room temperature
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for garlic cheese bread with rosemary as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!