When you want to frugally feed a crowd for game day, or a hungry family at dinner, it doesn’t get much tastier than French Onion Sloppy Joes!
Easy to make homemade ground beef sloppy joes are smothered with plenty of melted Swiss cheese and then are topped with a mound of deeply caramelized, thyme infused, pan sauteed fried onions. It honestly doesn’t get much easier or more delicious than this!
And, when you factor in that these French Onion Sloppy Joes cost only pennies per serving, you’ll want to add these to the family dinner roster on a regular rotation! SCORE!
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions and complete ingredient measurements for making Game Day French Onion Sloppy Joes is available near the end of this post.
This is a recipe idea that came to me in the middle of the night and made me grab my pen and paper. When something like that happens it usually takes me a while to fall back asleep, but this time I drifted back easily, and you can bet that I was dreaming about these French Onion Sloppy Joes!
The ingredient list for making Game Day French Onion Sloppy Joes is short and sweet. You’ll need;
- sweet onions, sliced
- fresh thyme sprigs
- ground beef
- chopped celery
- tomato paste
- brown sugar
- apple cider vinegar
- Swiss cheese slices
- grapeseed oil, or other light oil
- salt and pepper
If you want to get fancier and add more ingredients to your ground beef mixture, have at it. I, however, wanted to keep things simple so that the flavor of the thyme infused caramelized onions would shine in this sandwich.
Making the thyme-infused caramelized onions can be done in advance (if needed). The instructions are simple;
- Melt butter and oil in a large, heavy skillet.
- Slice 3 – 4 sweet onions and add them to the skillet, tossing to coat with the butter.
- Make a thyme bundle and add them to the skillet along with the onions.
- Cook the onions over medium heat (stirring occasionally) until they’ve turned a deep golden brown and have cooked down considerably. *Note – this will take approximately 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Remove the thyme bundle from the skillet and use the onions immediately, or store covered in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Here are the fast and simple instructions for making homemade sloppy Joes;
- Brown ground beef and diced celery in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in tomato paste and brown sugar.
- Add a splash of apple cider vinegar and cook, stirring frequently until the beef is no longer pink and the sloppy joes are heated through.
- Serve on buns with a slice of Swiss cheese and mounds of thyme-infused caramelized onions.
Looking for other fun and delicious game-day foods you can bring for tailgating or for serving a crowd or gathering? Great!
By clicking on the titles below you’ll be taken directly to the following recipes for;
- Parmesan Onion Appetizer Squares
- Spicy Thai Pulled Pork Sandwiches for the Slow Cooker
- Cinnamon Praline Pretzels
- Hot Patty Melt Dip
- Sloppy Sausage Bean Dip
- Sloppy José Hot Dogs with Black Beans and Chiles
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup with Ham
- Apple Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s French Onion Sloppy Joes.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
- 4 sweet onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10 sprigs thyme
- butchers twine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 10 slices Swiss Cheese
- 10 hamburger buns
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
Melt the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion slices. Stir well.
Make a thyme bundle by wrapping the thyme sprigs with butcher's twine or wrap them in cheesecloth.
Add the thyme bundle to the onions. Cook, over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the onions are deeply caramelized and reduced. Remove the thyme and discard. Season with salt and pepper. Stir.
Keep the onions warm until serving or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days if making them in advance.
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and chopped celery.
Stir in the tomato paste and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the brown sugar and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 3-4 minutes until the flavors have married and the sloppy joes are heated through.
Serve the sloppy joes on buns and top with slices of Swiss cheese and a helping of thyme-infused caramelized onions.
Tools and equipment;
large skillet, wooden spoon, measuring cups, measuring spoons, butchers twine or cheesecloth, chef's knife, cutting board.
The thyme-infused caramelized onions may be made in advance and refrigerated for up to 4 days (covered). Reheat before serving.
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s recipe for French Onion Sloppy Joes as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe, or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!