This copycat Oktoberfest Knockwurst Sandwich is my version of a terrific sandwich I’d had while on vacation in Northern Wisconsin.
I loved the knockwurst sandwich I had SO much; I had it twice during the six days we were on vacation. And after that first bite, I knew I wanted to replicate it as soon as possible when we got home…so I did!
My Kudos Kitchen copycat version of their Knockwurst Sandwich is just as delicious as I remember the original sandwich tasting, and now I can eat one whenever I want, without having to travel 6 hours to get one!!
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions and complete ingredient measurements for making Oktoberfest Knockwurst Sandwich with Sauerkraut & Munster Cheese is available near the end of this post.
Just for fun, below is the photo I took at the Northern Wisconsin Pub (Otto’s Beer and Brat Garden) of the Knockwurst sandwich I had. I don’t always take photos of my restaurant food unless I’m on vacation, or unless it’s something I want to try and recreate. This time, this sandwich ticked both of those boxes!
In the above photo from Otto’s, you’ll notice they served their sandwich with super crispy kettle chips, and a side of thousand islands dressing. I wanted to mimic the entire gastronomic experience, so I did the same. Sadly, I forgot the pickle spear. LOL
The ingredients you’ll need to make your own Knockwurst Sandwich, Kudos Kitchen Style are as follows;
- pretzel buns
- garlic powder
- Munster cheese slices
- sweet relish
- smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
What if I don’t have, or don’t like knockwurst? Can I substitute another type of sausage?
- By all means, substitute any type of sausage you like. Bratwurst, smoked sausage, Polish sausage, and even hot dogs would be a great substitution.
- I suggest, however, if using bratwurst to cook it first, slice it lengthwise and then pan fry it to get the maximum flavor, just like with the knockwurst.
My local grocery store doesn’t carry knockwurst. Where can I purchase it?
- I purchased mine at our local butcher shop but sadly, they don’t ship.
- You can, however, purchase knockwurst sausage through Amazon.com, and I’ll make sure to leave an affiliate link down below so you can purchase some if you’d like.
What if I don’t like sauerkraut? What then?
- Well, since this sandwich is all about Oktoberfest, I would suggest you only add a tiny bit, and then get over it. LOL
- OR, what about coleslaw as a substitution? It will be a completely different sandwich as far as taste, but still tasty none the less!
**The following affiliate links are some suggested products I’ve chosen that will aid you in the making and serving of this recipe for Oktoberfest Knockwurst Sandwich with Sauerkraut & Munster Cheese if needed. By clicking on the item photo, you’ll be taken directly to Amazon.com if you’re interested in purchasing any of these products. You are in no way required to do so, and you will not be charged in any way unless you decide to purchase one of these products through Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I hope you’ve worked up an appetite! Let me walk you through the making of an Oktoberfest Knockwurst Sandwich, starting with the homemade 1000 islands dressing;
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, ketchup, sweet relish, prepared horseradish, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Butter both sides of pretzel rolls and sprinkle with garlic powder.
- Bake the rolls in a preheated 350-degree oven until crisp. Approximately 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Slice the knockwurst sausage in half lengthwise and fry them in a skillet with until browned on both sides.
- Remove the skin from the sausage after cooking.
- Place sliced Munster cheese on the bottom buttered bun.
- Top with 2 browned sausage halves, and a liberal helping of sauerkraut.
- Top with additional Munster cheese and bake in a preheated oven until the cheese has melted.
- Top the sandwich with the pretzel roll top, and serve with the 1000 islands dressing, and chips if desired.
For additional Oktoberfest inspired recipes I’ve shared in the past, please click on the following titles for;
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Oktoberfest Knockwurst Sandwich with Sauerkraut & Munster Cheese. If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
- 4 knockwurst cut in half lengthwise
- 4 pretzel rolls
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 8 slices Munster cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch black pepper
In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle relish, horseradish, smoked paprika, and black pepper. Chill until ready to serve.
Spread the softened butter both sides of the pretzel rolls and sprinkle with garlic powder. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven until golden and crispy (approximately 7 - 10 minutes). Remove.
In a large skillet, brown the cut sausages on both sides. Remove the outer casing, and keep warm.
Place one slice of cheese on the bottom bun, top with 2 cooked sausage halves, sauerkraut, and another slice of cheese.
Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven until the cheese is melted.
Add the top bun and serve hot along with the prepared 1000 sauce for spreading, or dipping.
Tools and equipment;
small bowl, spoon, measuring spoons, measuring cups, large skillet, chef's knife, butter knife, baking sheet, baking rack (optional).
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s recipe for the Oktoberfest Knockwurst Sandwich as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions regarding this recipe, or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware or fabric items, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
*Note – The post above includes affiliate links. When I find a great product or service, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn a commission for my recommendations. As always, I thank you for your support!