Cream Cheese Biscuits with Strawberry Butter are as light as air! They're the perfect biscuits that will make any weekend breakfast just a little more special.
I originally shared this recipe in 2016. I've recently updated this post with additional information, including a recipe card complete with nutritional information, but the recipe itself has remained unchanged.
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making homemade cream cheese biscuits is available at the end of this post. OR you can hit the "jump to recipe" button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
The ingredient list:
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- cream cheese
- butter (I used salted)
- all-purpose flour
- cake flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- buttermilk (or buttermilk alternative)
- fresh strawberries
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- large mixing bowl
- medium mixing bowl
- small mixing bowl
- food processor or pastry blender
- wooden spoon
- paring knife
- cutting board
- measuring cups and spoons
- pizza wheel (optional)
- bench scrape (optional)
- rolling pin
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- hand mixer (optional)
- silicone baking mat (optional)
- kitchen timer
Why this recipe works:
Deliciously light and fluffy, these homemade cream cheese biscuits go wonderfully with a cup of tea or coffee.
Pair that with the flavorful yet subtle strawberry butter and you have yourself something to savor!
So, get out your prettiest dishes and make it an occasion to remember!!
How this recipe came to be:
I made these particular biscuits for a girlfriend's breakfast I had been invited to.
The theme was a garden-party birthday celebration, so I wanted to bring something pink and girly.
These easy homemade biscuits with strawberry butter were just the right touch to add to the beautifully decorated buffet table, and it was the thing that made them pretty in pink and party-perfect!
No buttermilk on hand?
I rarely have buttermilk on hand in the fridge anymore because I like using this handy buttermilk alternative instead.
Since I always have milk, lemons, and/or cider vinegar at the ready I'm always prepared when a recipe calls for buttermilk, and I'm always happy with the end results!!
Can these cream cheese biscuits be frozen?
Cool them well after baking and then store them in an air-tight freezer container, and freeze them for up to 2 months.
Is cake flour necessary in this recipe?
You can certainly use strictly all-purpose flour if that's all you have on hand.
However, for a lighter and fluffier homemade biscuit, the key is using the combination of cake flour and all-purpose flour.
Can different flavored butter be used instead of strawberry?
You're completely in control when it comes to making flavored (i.e., "compound") butter.
How to make compound butter:
It's so, so easy to make compound butter!!
Soften your favorite brand of butter (salted is best) to room temperature, and then blend (or stir) in your favorite herbs, fruit, and/or seasonings.
Store at room temperature until ready to serve.
The step-by-step photo instructions :
The cream cheese biscuits:
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cube cold cream cheese and cold butter.
- Place the all-purpose flour, cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a food processor or large bowl. Stir or pulse to combine.
- Add the cubed cream cheese and butter and pulse (or use a pastry blender) to form a mixture that resembles large pea-sized pieces, along with smaller bits. *Special note - you want texture and not a uniform consistency.
- If using a food processor, transfer the flour mixture to a large bowl and add the buttermilk.
- Stir to combine, but do not overmix.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and pat (or roll) the dough into an 8" x 6" rectangle.
- Use a pizza cutter, or bench scrape to portion the dough into 12 pieces.
- Place the cut biscuits onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven for 15-17 minutes, or until golden brown.
The strawberry butter:
- Meanwhile, blend the chopped fresh strawberries into the softened butter and serve at room temperature with the biscuits are out of the oven.
- Best served warm or at room temperature.
Additional biscuit and roll recipes:
*Raspberry Spiced Monkey Bread (shown below and in the featured video)
Don’t have time to bake from scratch? No problem! This Shortcut Raspberry Spice Monkey Bread comes together in a matter of minutes using tube biscuits and raspberry jam.
*Beer Bread Biscuits with Herbs (not shown)
These homemade Beer Bread Biscuits with Herbs come together quickly with no shaping and no cutters. All you’ll need is a bowl, spoon, and muffin tin to make these incredibly delicious and golden biscuits.
*Honey Orange Crescent Rolls (shown below)
Homemade Honey Orange crescent rolls are perfectly delicious! This buttery sweet enriched yeast dough is what dreams are made of. They’re swoon-worthy!
*Chocolate Cinnamon Breakfast Croissants (not shown)
These Super Simple Chocolate Cinnamon Croissants are a speedy weekend breakfast treat that the entire family is sure to love.
*Cream Cheese Biscuits with Strawberry Butter (shown below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today's homemade cream cheese biscuits recipe.
⭐If you've made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave it a star rating on the recipe card, along with a comment of why you rated as you did.
Google loves ratings and will show my recipes to more people if they have them. Thank you. 🙂
Printable Recipe Card
Cream Cheese Biscuits with Strawberry Butter
For the biscuits:
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter cut into cubes
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour plus additional for patting out the dough
- 1½ cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
For the strawberry butter:
- 1 stick butter softened to room temperature
- 7-8 large strawberries hulled and diced
Tools and equipment
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the cubed cream cheese and butter in the freezer for 15 minutes while the oven preheats.
- Add the all-purpose flour, cake flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Add the frozen cream cheese and butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Transfer the flour mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the buttermilk to the bowl and stir just until the mixture forms a loose dough.
- *Note - do not over mix or the biscuits will become tough in texture.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently pat (or roll) the into an 8" x 6" rectangle.
- Use a dough wheel or pizza wheel to cut the dough into 12 even pieces.
- Place the biscuits onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper (optional).
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, use a hand mixer to blend the softened butter and diced strawberries until smooth and creamy.
- Serve the biscuits warm along with the softened strawberry butter.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's biscuit recipe with strawberry compound butter as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
These looked so good I had to try them...so good!!
Oh, wow. These biscuits look fantastic. I love added cream cheese and that strawberry butter. Yum! I must make this for my family this weekend.
Angie | Big Bear's Wife says
I would literally want to eat all of these biscuits and all of that strawberry butter.
Me too, Angie. Fortunately I didn't do that! LOL
Brenda@ SugarFree Mom says
Love me some flavored fruity cream cheese spread like this!
Thanks, but it's strawberry butter. The cream cheese is in the biscuits 😉
Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet says
Gorgeous! Those cream cheese biscuits look perfect and I LOVE that strawberry butter!
Thank you so much, Kimberly!
Lauren Kelly Nutrition says
Everything about this is amazing! I want to bring these to MY next party 🙂
The Food Hunter says
I am drooling just thinking about the strawberry butter.
Kelly @ Nosh and Nourish says
I want to put that strawberry butter on alllllllllllll the things!!!
I can't believe I haven't made strawberry butter before - it could well go on everything!
Knowing how to make a biscuit is key to so many meals!
Meg @ With Salt and Wit says
These look so delicious! I could eat them for breakfast have then with dinner!
So lovely! They look tender and perfectly comforting!
Amanda | The Chunky Chef says
These biscuits look so amazing... and that strawberry butter... oh man, I love it!!
Jocelyn (Grandbaby cakes) says
You definitely know how to make a biscuit. And that strawberry butter is everything.
Erin @ Texanerin Baking says
Haha. I'm the same way. I've actually stopped telling people what I plan on bringing because I always change my mind about 4 times. But it looks like you made the right decision for this party! They're absolutely perfect looking.