Crunchy, healthy, and completely addictive. This Copycat Sunflower Crunch Kale Cabbage Salad has it ALL going on!!
Mix up a big bowl of this Sunflower Crunch Kale Cabbage Salad, and you’ll have lunch ready for the entire week. Add cooked chicken, and it can also do double duty as dinner.
Whenever you serve this salad; lunch, dinner, or even a party, be ready for people to fill their plates and then come back for more. It’s a winning combination of flavors and textures that will soon become your signature dish!
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions and complete ingredient measurements for making Copycat Sunflower Crunch Kale Cabbage Salad is available near the end of this post.
The reason I call this a “copycat” salad is that it mimics my favorite bagged salad which I purchase in the produce section of the market.
However, if I’m totally honest here (and why wouldn’t I be?), my Kudos Kitchen version is even better than that bagged version because I’ve added dried cranberries to the mix, and I’ve also added apple cider (you can use apple juice if needed) to thin the dressing, and for a little touch of extra sweetness.
The ingredient list;
- green cabbage
- purple cabbage
- kale (fresh)
- bacon bits
- salt and pepper
- apple cider or juice
- garlic, minced
- cider vinegar
- dried cranberries
- sunflower seeds
What if I wanted a vegetarian salad? Can I leave the bacon out?
- By all means…YES!!! It’s your salad, your call!
Do I need a food processor to chop the cabbages and carrots?
- NO! I didn’t use one. I used a chef’s knife and cutting board.
- Slice the cabbages thinly (removing the core), and then crosscut the thin slices into tiny pieces. Easy, peasy with no extra equipment to wash!
How long will this salad keep in the refrigerator?
- Keep it well covered and it will last in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can I substitute other nuts for the sunflower seeds?
- Yes, of course! Try making this with chopped pecans, hazelnuts, cashews, or even chopped macadamia nuts. Since I’m a nuts and seeds girl, I’m certain that any (or all) of them would be a tasty addition.
For additional delicious and healthy salad recipe I’ve shared in the past, please click on the following titles for;
- Best Ever Chef’s Salad with Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
- Berry Delicious Chicken Avocado Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Autumn Harvest Chopped Fruit and Vegetable Salad
- Heart Healthy Avocado Mango Salad with Lime Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
- Antioxidant Rich Blood Orange and Blueberry Salad
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Copycat Sunflower Crunch Kale Cabbage Salad. If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
- 1 small head green cabbage chopped into a small dice
- 1 half head purple cabbage chopped into a small dice
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped into a small dice
- 2 cups kale ribs removed and chopped into a small dice
- ½ cup bacon bits
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup apple cider or apple juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ tablespoon cider vinegar
In a large bowl, stir together the green and purple cabbage along with the prepared carrots and kale.
Add the salt, pepper, bacon bits, garlic, sunflower seeds, and dried cranberries. Stir well to combine. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider, cider vinegar, and sugar until smooth.
Pour the cider and mayonnaise dressing over the cabbage mixture and stir well to combine. Cover and refrigerate at least 60 minutes for the flavors to marry.
Serve chilled with additional dried cranberries and sunflower seeds to the top, if desired.
**NOTE – This salad tastes best after it’s had a chance to sit in the refrigerator at least 60 minutes before serving so the flavors can blend and marry, so please plan accordingly.
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s recipe for Copycat Sunflower Crunch Kale Cabbage Salad as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware or fabric items, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!