Shredded Salsa Chicken made in an Instant Pot is a low-carb, fast, no-fuss dinner option that takes only moments to assemble and minutes to cook.
Dinner will be on the table almost as fast as you can say "Winner, winner, shredded salsa chicken for dinner!" 🙂
There are just some nights when you don't have the desire, or inclination to cook anything with a lot of ingredients, or that takes much preparation time.
That's where this delicious shredded chicken cooked in a pressure cooker comes in.
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making shredded salsa chicken for the pressure cooker is available at the end of this post. OR you can hit the "jump to recipe" button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
The ingredient list:
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- 3 extra-large chicken breast, boneless and skinless, (approximately 8 ounces each)
- 1 jar (15-16 ounces) salsa (your favorite variety)
- ground coriander
- chili powder
- dried oregano
- ground cumin
- minced garlic
- smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
- burger buns (optional)
- sliced onions
- pickles (not shown)
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- measuring cups and spoons
- meat claws or forks (for shredding the chicken)
- casserole dish (optional)
- cheese grater (optional)
Why this recipe works?
Talk about a versatile meal the whole family will enjoy!
This Shredded Salsa Chicken can do double duty! It works wonderfully well for those who are eating low-carb/keto lifestyle, and for those who aren't.
It can be eaten "as is" for the low-carb option, or it can be piled high on a bun for a sandwich.
In that way it's the perfect party food for entertaining!
In fact, making Low Carb Shredded Salsa Chicken is so easy even a teenager (or husband) can do it. That's another reason you can say "Winner, winner, chicken dinner!"
The easy instructions:
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, ground coriander, chili powder, dried oregano, ground cumin, garlic powder and smoked paprika.
- Dry the chicken breasts with paper towels.
- Liberally spread the dried spice mix onto each breast, front, and back.
- Place the chicken into the Instant Pot.
- Pour the jarred salsa over the chicken along with a little water.
- Set the cooker to meat/stew and the timer for 30 minutes.
- Cover, lock, and cook.
- When the cooker turns off and fully releases its pressure, carefully remove the lid, and remove the chicken to a large plate.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken breast and add as much sauce from the cooker to the meat as desired.
- Top the shredded salsa chicken with shredded cheddar cheese and place it in a 350-degree oven until the cheese is melted.
- Serve "as is" or spoon the shredded salsa chicken onto buns and serve.
Can shredded salsa chicken also be made in a slow cooker?
This recipe can definitely be made in a slow cooker if you have more time to spare, or if you want to make it in the morning and have it later that day. It will fit into your schedule perfectly.
The directions for assembling this recipe are exactly the same as for the pressure cooker except you need to set the cooking time for 4 hours on high or 6 hours on medium.
Can salsa chicken be made in advance?
Cook it, shred it, add it to a casserole dish, cover well and store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, if needed.
How to reheat salsa chicken after refrigeration?
Allow the shredded salsa chicken to sit on the counter and come to room temperature for 30 minutes before reheating.
Keep the dish covered with foil and reheat in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. Add more cheese if desired.
Can this dish be reheated in the microwave?
Allow the salsa chicken to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before reheating in a microwave-safe dish, covered with plastic wrap.
Heat on medium power until hot, stirring occasionally.
Side dishes to pair with shredded salsa chicken:
- Creamy Golden Dijon Potato Salad (pictured below)
Crowd-Pleasing Dijon Potato Salad will be the first thing to disappear from the picnic table this summer. It’s cool, creamy, and refreshing with just the right amount of tang from the Dijon, and the perfect amount of crunch to balance all that creaminess.
- French Lentil Salad (pictured below)
French lentil salad is best served chilled. It’s a flavorful, protein-packed, side dish, or it can serve as a vegetarian main course with only one minor adjustment to the recipe.
- Sunflower Crunch Kale and Cabbage Salad (pictured below, and showcased in the featured video)
Crunchy, healthy, and completely addictive. This Sunflower Crunch Kale and Cabbage Salad has it ALL going on!! Dig in! You’re going to love this colorful salad!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today's shredded salsa chicken.
Shredded Salsa Chicken for the Instant Pot
- 3 8 ounce chicken breasts , boneless and skinless
- 1 jar 16 ounce prepared salsa, your favorite variety
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- burger buns , optional
- Dry the chicken breasts with paper towels and set the chicken aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the coriander, chili powder, dried oregano, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the spice mix over each dried chicken breast, front, and back.
- Add the seasoned chicken breast to the Instant Pot.
- Pour the salsa and water into the Instant Pot over the seasoned chicken.
- Add the lid to the pot, lock and set the timer to meat/stew for 30 minutes.
- Once the cooker stops, and the steam is fully released, remove the cooked chicken from the pot and place in a bowl or casserole dish.
- Shred the chicken using two forks. Add as much of the sauce from the pot to the chicken as you desire and stir well to combine.
- Top the shredded salsa chicken with shredded cheddar cheese and place in a preheated 350-degree oven to melt the cheese.
- Serve plain, over a salad, in a taco, or on a bun as a sandwich.
I hope you've enjoyed this fast and easy chicken breast recipe for the Instant Pot as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!