Here’s wishing you a wonderful new year that is filled with love, laughter, good luck, and plenty of healthy eating, along with fun, physical activity.
Sorry about that last part (LOL), but it’s my new year’s resolution and I’m pumped and ready to reach my goals!
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Black-Eyed Pea Salsa is available near the end of this post. OR click on the “jump to recipe” button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
The easy ingredient list:
- canned black eyed peas
- prepared salsa
- minced red onion
- fresh cilantro
- fresh lime juice
- smoked cumin
- salt and pepper (optional)
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- can opener
- chef’s knife
- cutting board
- measuring cups and spoons
- citrus juicer (optional)
How long will this recipe take to make?
In only 5 minutes you can have this delicious and nutritious dip on the table for family and friends which makes it a no-brainer to serve any time of the year, but especially for ringing in the new year!
After all, I don’t know anybody who would turn down a little extra good luck at the beginning of a new year (or any time for that matter), do you?!!
Why are black eyed peas considered good luck?
- In the South, black eyed peas are said to represent coins and money which is the reason they’re believed to bring good luck.
Why this recipe works:
This recipe starts any new year off on the right foot.
It’s super delicious, low in calories, high in fiber, and is high in complex carbohydrates.
It’s also gluten-free, high in protein, and no-cook! See? I told you this was a good luck recipe! 🙂
To make this recipe quick and easy, I decided to use canned black eyed peas as well as prepared salsa.
If you prefer the taste and texture of dried and reconstituted black-eyed peas, and homemade salsa, please be my guest.
However, if you’re in a pinch for time, using a few grocery store conveniences is never a bad thing!
Other fun new year’s traditions to bring good luck and prosperity:
I so look forward to New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day. In our home, we have a few traditions we follow without exception.
- The first one is one we follow on New Year’s Eve is that we put money outside (in an envelope taped to a safe place). On New Year’s Day, we bring it inside. This symbolizes money coming into the house all year long. (see below)
- The second one is to place colorful candles (large or small) into a vessel filled with granulated sugar (sugar is also known to be a symbol of good luck and prosperity). Then as we light each candle we proclaim what our wishes and dreams for the coming new year will be. After all the candles are lit, we blow the candles out and trust that our wishes for the future will come true!
A classic celebratory cocktail for ringing in the new year:
- Celebration Mimosas (shown below)
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today’s fast and easy Black-Eyed Pea Salsa.
If you’ve made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I’d appreciate it if you’d take a moment to leave it a star rating in the recipe card, along with a comment if you’re so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup prepared salsa
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon roasted ground cumin
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- tortilla chips, pita chips, or crackers for serving
- Place all the ingredients into a medium sized bowl and stir to combine.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled along with tortilla chips or pita chips for dipping.
Serving Size1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 37Unsaturated Fat 0gSodium 689mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 4gProtein 1g
Thank you so much for visiting me here today in my Kudos Kitchen!
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s recipe for Black-Eyed Pea Salsa as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
At this time, I’d also like to take a moment to thank you for following along and reading my blog. It truly means a lot to me, and I appreciate it more than you know.
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For more Kudos Kitchen recipe information, please follow me on my social medial channels (listed below), and don’t forget to TAG me @kudoskitchen with photos so I can view all your delicious recipe creations! It’s exciting for me when you share them, so don’t be shy!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – BRINGING YOU EASY, ECONOMICAL, AND DELICIOUS DISHES TO FEED YOUR LOVED ONES!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!