Parmesan Onion Appetizer Squares is a recipe I’ve been making since I was a new bride, way back when. Whenever I serve them, they’re always a hit with their light oniony flavor, crispy yet creamy texture, and a tiny and unexpected touch of sweetness that everyone loves!
This year (2018) I’ve decided to re-do this recipe and serve these Parmesan Onion Appetizer Squares (yet again) at our game day celebration.
It seems whenever I’m planning an occasion when appetizers are served, these Parmesan Onion Appetizer Squares always make an appearance. And rightly so.
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Parmesan Onion Appetizer Squares is available near the end of this post.
The ingredient list;
- Parmesan cheese
- grated onion
- dried basil
- dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- cocktail party bread
**The following affiliate links are some suggested products I’ve chosen that will aid you in the making and serving of this recipe for Parmesan Onion Appetizer Squares if needed. By clicking on the item photo, you’ll be taken directly to Amazon.com if you’re interested in purchasing any of these products. You are in no way required to do so, and you will not be charged in any way unless you decide to purchase one of these products through Amazon.com. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A sad look back at history;
Since I originally shared this recipe for Parmesan Onion Appetizer Squares in December of 2012, it would have been remiss of me to avoid addressing a horrible mass shooting that consumed our country only weeks before Christmas. Sadly, little did we know it, this type of senseless act of gun violence and killing would soon become relatively commonplace in our world.
This is what I wrote at that time –
As we all gather this holiday season to give thanks and reflect on the year gone by, we do so with heavy hearts at the recent horrific tragedy in Newtown, Connecticut, at Sandy Hook Elementary School.
My deepest love and prayers go out the families who have lost their loved ones (so many of them little children) in such a senseless act of violence that there can never be a sufficient understanding of.
To be writing a blog post about some silly appetizers hardly seems like the thing to be doing right now, and yet, it is the return to normal activities that are so important at this time.
Life surprisingly goes on, and whatever fear you feel must be squashed before it has a chance to consume your life. I return to my kitchen to find the solace I need and the comfort that keeps me safe and in control of my little corner of the world.
The appetizer recipe I’m sharing today for Parmesan Onion Appetizer Squares is one I’ve been making for years. It’s a quick and easy recipe to throw together, and is always a hit with party guests as it’s full of flavor and tastes good hot out of the oven, or served at room temperature on a buffet table.
Here is the original photo I shared back in 2012:
Can Parmesan Onion Appetizers be made in advance?
- Yes! I even recommend it! However, it’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t happen.
- Mix up the spread in advance and refrigerate until you’re ready to spread it on the bread and bake. This can be done up to 48 hours in advance of spreading and baking.
Can I substitute anything for the cocktail bread?
- Yes! Substitute a baguette, thinly sliced, or even crackers will work in a pinch.
Where can I find the cocktail bread?
- I always find mine in the deli section of the grocery store. If you don’t see them readily, ask someone. I’ve seen them in rye and sourdough flavors. I’ve used both for this recipe.
- I’ve also left an Amazon affiliate link for the cocktail bread (above) if you’re unable to find them in your area.
The easy instructions;
- Mix everything in a medium bowl, except the cocktail bread.
- Spread approximately 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan mixture evenly onto the cocktail bread squares.
- Place them on a baking sheet and pop them into a preheated 400-degree oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- Parmesan Onion Appetizer Squares come out golden, creamy, crispy and can be served hot, warm, or at room temperature so they’re perfect for any sort of party!
I love this recipe for Parmesan Onion Square Appetizers so much I’ve even shot my first “cooking-show” style video. I hope you enjoy the video and will subscribe to my Kudos Kitchen channel on Youtube.
For additional easy appetizer ideas that will serve you well for any party or gathering, please click on the following recipe titles for;
- Cream Cheese and Salami Spread with Dill Pickles
- Creamy Egg Salad Canapes
- Spinach and Artichoke Squares
- Honey and Sesame Seed Crackers
- Corn and Black Bean Dip
- Patty Melt Dip
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Parmesan Onion Appetizer Squares.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- 1½ cup Parmesan cheese grated or shredded
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 30 party cocktail bread
- Preheat the oven to 400-degrees.
- Mix the first 8 ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Spread approximately 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan mixture evenly onto the cocktail bread and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the Parmesan Onion Appetizer Squares are golden in color.
- Remove and serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
Tools and equipment:
knife or offset spatula, baking sheet, parchment paper (optional), wooden spoon,
box grater, measuring spoons, measuring cups, medium bowl
I hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe for Parmesan Onion Appetizer Squares as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions regarding this recipe or anything you see on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly, or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware or fabric items, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art, and fun collide each and every day!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
*Note – The post above includes affiliate links. When I find a great product or service, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn a commission for my recommendations. As always, I thank you for your support!