Parmesan Onion Squares are an easy to make appetizer with a light oniony flavor, a crisp yet creamy texture, and a tiny and unexpected touch of sweetness that everyone loves!
It seems whenever I’m planning an occasion when appetizers are to be served, these Parmesan Onion Squares always make an appearance. And rightly so.
This easy cheesy appetizer recipe is one I’ve been making for what feels like forever because whenever I serve them, they’re always a hit!
This easy appetizer post was originally published in 2013. The post itself has been updated several times, but the recipe itself has never changed.
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Parmesan Onion Appetizer Squares is available near the end of this post. OR you can click on the “jump to recipe” button (found above) to be taken directly to the printable recipe.
The ingredient list:
**Note – The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment (highlighted in blue) contain affiliate links for your consideration and shopping convenience.
- Parmesan Cheese (preferably Parmigiano Reggiano)
- Grated Onion
- Dried Basil
- Dried Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- Cocktail Party Bread
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- Box Grater or Food Processor
- Mixing Bowls
- baking sheet
- parchment paper
- Measuring Cups and spoons
- Wooden Spoons or Spatulas
- Offset Spatula or Butter Knife
- Serving Platter
Always popular and ready to party!
Even Santa is happy when these Parmesan Onion Squares appetizers make their appearance at a party or gathering! 🙂 The photo below is from 2013.
Can Parmesan Onion Appetizers be made in advance?
- Yes! I even recommend it! However, it’s not the end of the world if it doesn’t happen.
- Mix up the spread in advance and refrigerate until you’re ready to spread it on the bread and bake.
- This can be done up to 48 hours in advance of spreading and baking.
Can I substitute anything for the cocktail bread?
- Substitute a thinly sliced baguette or even crackers will work in a pinch.
Where to find cocktail bread in the store?
- I always find mine in the deli section of the grocery store. If you don’t see them readily, ask someone. I’ve seen them in rye and sourdough flavors. I’ve used both for this recipe.
- I’ve also left an affiliate link for the cocktail bread (aka party square bread) if you’re unable to find them in your area.
Is the onion overpowering in this recipe?
Nope! Not at all!!
The reason I’ve added that little touch of sugar into the mix (which may seem surprising) is to take away a lot of that pungent onion bite, leaving only a mild and mellow onion flavor that combines so nicely with the Parmesan cheese.
Can a different sweetener be used in place of the sugar?
Yes, by all means use what you like.
Just remember to taste-as-you-go, and when you’re happy with the sweetness level, call it a day.
These cheesy appetizers aren’t meant to be sweet, just sweet enough to take away a little of the bite from the onion.
That said, the sugar (or sweetener) can be left out entirely if you enjoy a strong onion flavor. Totally your call.
Potential sugar substitutes:
- coconut sugar
- monk fruit powder
At what temperature should these appetizers be served?
These wonderful little appetizers can be served hot, warm, or at room temperature making them perfect for any sort of party!
The easy instructions:
- Mix everything in a medium bowl, except the cocktail bread.
- Spread approximately 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan mixture evenly onto the cocktail bread squares.
- Place them on a baking sheet and pop them into a preheated 400-degree oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until they’re all puffed and golden.
How to make Parmesan Appetizer Squares:
Additional appetizer recipe you’ll enjoy:
- Cream Cheese and Salami Spread with Dill Pickles (pictured below)
Crave-Worthy Cream Cheese Salami Pickle Dip is a quick and easy update of the salami and pickle pinwheel appetizers of the past, but this updated version is faster, easier, and has a bigger kick of flavor.
- Creamy Egg Salad Canapes
- Spinach and Artichoke Squares
- Honey and Sesame Seed Crackers
- Corn and Black Bean Dip
- Patty Melt Dip (pictured below)
Everything you love about a patty melt sandwich is in this easy to make Patty Melt Dip. It’s sure to be a real crowd-pleaser at your next party or celebration!
- Cranberry Orange Meatballs from Sugar and Soul
- Ham And Cheese Croissant Bites from Coffee with Us 3
- Cheesy Polenta Fries from Jenni Field’s Pastry Chef Online
- Cuban Sausage Pinwheels from Sweet and Savory Meals
- Parmesan Onion Squares Appetizers (pictured below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the nutritional information and exact measurements for making today’s easy appetizer of Parmesan Onion Squares.
Parmesan Onion Appetizer Squares
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- 1½ cup Parmesan cheese grated or shredded
- 3 tablespoons grated onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 30 party cocktail bread
- Preheat the oven to 400-degrees.
- Mix the first 8 ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Spread approximately 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan mixture evenly onto the cocktail bread and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until the Parmesan Onion Appetizer Squares are golden in color.
- Remove and serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
box grater, measuring spoons, measuring cups, medium bowl
Thank you so much for visiting me here today in my Kudos Kitchen!
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed this super easy and tasty appetizer recipe for Parmesan Onion Squares as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For more Kudos Kitchen recipe information, please follow me on my social medial channels (listed below), and don’t forget to TAG me @kudoskitchen with photos so I can view all your delicious recipe creations! It’s exciting for me when you share them, so don’t be shy!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – BRINGING YOU EASY, ECONOMICAL, AND DELICIOUS DISHES TO FEED YOUR LOVED ONES!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!