When you're in the snacking mood but still want something healthy and delicious, reach for a handful of these homemade honey sesame seed crackers. They're totally addicting, AND good for you too!
After I made these, I actually had to put a *save* note on these so my family didn't gobble them all up before I could take the photos.
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Homemade Honey Sesame Seed Crackers is available at the end of this post.Jump to Recipe
The ingredient list :
- Whole Wheat Flour
- Spelt Flour (or additional Whole Wheat Flour)
- Baking Soda
- Coconut Palm Sugar (or Brown Sugar)
- Sesame Oil
- Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Ice Water
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- Food Processor or Pastry Blender
- Pastry Wheel or Paring Knife
- Rolling Pin
- Baking Sheets
- Parchment Paper
- Pastry Brush
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Wooden Spoon
- Plastic Wrap
Why this recipe works:
If you're anything like me, when faced with a crunchy snack mix assortment, I'm the one who picks out all the sesame seed crackers before anyone else can get to them.
(Yes, I'm also the girl who picks out all the cashews in an assorted nut mix too, but shhh, don't tell anybody!)
These honey sesame seed crackers are easy to make, sweet and crunchy, and you know exactly what ingredients are in them. They're not filled with grocery store shelf-stable ingredients you can't pronounce.
You can also make them whatever shapes you like. Why not make them extra fun by using mini cookie cutters to personalize them for the kid's lunch boxes this school year?!!
The easy instructions:
- Pulse the flours, baking soda, salt, butter, and honey together in a food processor (or use a pastry blender), until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl and stir in the sesame seeds.
- Form the dough into a flat disc and refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Once chilled, roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to approximately ⅛" thickness.
- Use a pastry wheel, paring knife, or cookie cutter to cut the crackers into your desired shapes.
- Transfer the crackers onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Stir together the honey and water and brush over unbaked crackers.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the crackers from the oven and brush them again with the honey-water.
- Return the crackers to the oven for bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until firm and golden.
- Remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
These are totally addicting, so don't say I didn't warn you!
Additional sesame seed recipes:
Sesame Seed Dinner Rolls are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. The flavor of these rolls is truly magical and delicious!
These two-bite Spicy Baked Crab Rangoon pack a flavorful punch in a small package. Sesame seeds and sriracha add the perfect final touch to these tasty little appetizers.
Savory and Sweet. These Crispy Duck Patties have a touch of crunch that surrounds their meaty interior. The tangy Asian Cabbage is the perfect complement to the rich duck meat, and the orange dipping sauce adds just the right amount of sweetness.
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Homemade Honey Sesame Seed Crackers.
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
Homemade Honey Sesame Seed Crackers
- 1 cup whole wheat flour I used whole grain sprouted wheat flour, plus more for rolling.
- ½ cup spelt flour or if you'd rather you can use 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar I used coconut palm sugar
- 1 stick of cold butter cut into 8 tablespoons
- 4 tablespoons honey divided
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 ½ cups toasted sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons ice water divided
- In a food processor, or by hand a in a large
bowl using a pastry blender, pulse/blend the flours, baking soda, salt, brown
sugar until it forms a sand-like consistency.
- Add in the butter, 2 tablespoons honey, sesame
oil and 3 tablespoons ice water. Pulse/blend until the dough comes together into a slightly sticky ball, but one that holds together nicely.
- Add the sesame seeds to the dough and using a
wooden spoon and fold them thoroughly into the dough.
- Form the dough into a disc and wrap it in
plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Roll the chilled dough out onto a lightly
floured surface to ⅛" thickness.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Using a pizza cutter or pastry wheel, cut the
dough into whatever size shapes you like. I cut mine into approximately 1"
- Transfer the crackers onto a parchment-lined
- Mix together 2 tablespoons honey and 1
tablespoon water. *Note - It's easier to mix if you place it in a microwave for just a few seconds.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the
crackers with half of the honey mixture.
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes and then
remove the crackers and brush them again with the remaining honey mixture.
- Return the crackers to the oven for another
10-15 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.
I hope you've enjoyed this recipe for honey sesame seed crackers as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!