With a little preparation the night before, you can serve mom breakfast in bed on Mother’s Day in only a matter of minutes with these easy Creamy Egg Salad Canapes.
And what makes these mini open-faced treats even more aPEELing is that the creamy egg salad can be made the night before and quickly scooped or spread on cocktail bread, toast, or baguette slices way before mom even has a chance to pop out of bed.
My mom was the inspiration for this recipe. Not because I’m going to make her breakfast in bed this year for Mother’s day (we’re going out to brunch), but because she makes the best-deviled eggs!
This egg salad recipe is my riff on my mom’s deviled eggs.
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Egg Salad Canapes is available near the end of this post.
The ingredient list;
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Minced Shallot
- Dijon mustard
- Yellow mustard
- Salt and Pepper
- Cocktail Bread or Baguette Slices
- Chopped Chives (for garnish)
Do you struggle with peeling hard-boiled eggs?
I’ve always struggled with cleanly peeling hard-boiled eggs. Maybe you have too. If this is also your story, today is a game changer!
I’m excited to share a few little tips and tricks I’ve learned along the way that will make your life SO much easier. Especially when you’re making these cute little deviled egg salad appetizers.
So say goodbye to the difficult to peel hard-boiled egg, and say hello to no more stressing when it comes to making egg salad appetizers.
How to cook hard boiled eggs for easy peeling;
- Make sure that the eggs you choose for boiling are not freshly purchased from the market.
- The best eggs for hard boiling are the slightly older ones. Eggs you’ve had in your fridge for a few weeks.
- It may seem counterintuitive, but those are the ones that work the best.
- Use the smallest pan possible to fit the number of eggs you’ve chosen to boil. This way as the water boils, the eggs don’t have room to bounce around into each other, which will lessen the chance that they’ll crack and break in the water.
- Fill the pan with cold water to just above the eggs.
- Turn on the heat and bring the eggs to a boil.
- As soon as the eggs start to boil, turn the heat off and cover the pan. Allow the eggs to sit in the water for only 13 minutes (longer will result in that unsightly gray ring that surrounds the yolk).
- Run the cooked eggs under cold water and easily peel them when you’re ready to use.
Check out this easy peel hard boiled egg video from America’s Test Kitchen;
Now that you know how to make easy-peel hard boiled eggs, make the Creamy Egg Salad the night before you plan on serving the canapes.
In the morning when you’re ready to serve, assemble the canapes. This will take only minutes, which makes them the perfect breakfast to surprise mom on her special day!
How far in advance can egg salad be kept it the fridge?
- This egg salad can be made in advance and kept safely in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Keep it well sealed in an airtight container.
Can egg salad be frozen?
- I wouldn’t recommend it.
- Due to the high-fat content in the eggs, and the mayonnaise, once the egg salad thaws the consistency will change from thick and creamy to watery and rubbery. Not pretty, an not very appetizing.
What are some other ways to serve deviled egg salad?
Here’s the fun part. Serve it on top of, or with;
- Celery Sticks
- Carrot Sticks
- Tortilla Chips
- Red Pepper Strips
- Hash Brown Potatoes
- Potato Chips
- Baked Potatoes
You are only limited by your imagination.
Where do I find the little cocktail bread that is pictured in these photos?
I’ve been able to purchase it in the delicatessen department of my local grocery store.
It is also known as party bread.
There are several different flavors, made by a couple of different companies, Pepperidge Farm being one of them.
I’ll be leaving an affiliate link down below for the party bread, so don’t forget to look for it.
What occasions are best to serve these egg salad appetizers;
These Easy Creamy Egg Salad Canapes can also be served as tasty appetizers for any sort of party or gathering.
Think Easter, Memorial Day, birthdays, graduation parties, summer BBQ’s, picnics, Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays…You get the gist!
Just remember, if you’re serving them outside during the hot summer months, make sure not to let them sit out too long in the heat and keep them properly chilled while serving.
The easy instructions for making deviled egg salad;
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs and roughly chop them into bits.
- Add them to a large bowl along with the minced celery, shallots, mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Stir well to combine.
- Cover well and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Scoop or spoon the deviled egg salad onto cocktail bread or toast points, serve and enjoy!
**The following affiliate links are some suggested products I’ve chosen that will aid you in the making and serving of this recipe for Easy Egg Salad Canapes if desired.
Plus, I’ve added some additional items that are meant to make you smile, and because it’s fun to shop! 😉
For additional tasty breakfast and/or dessert treats that mom will also enjoy, please click on the following titles for;
- Blueberry Lemon Scones with Vanilla Icing
- Sweet Cherry Rolls with Almond Cream Cheese Glaze
- Raspberry Spice Monkey Bread
- Mother’s Day Dessert Recipe Roundup
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Deviled Egg Salad Canapes.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
Easy Creamy Egg Salad Canapés are the perfect appetizer. If you love deviled eggs, you'll adore these easy appetizers. And the fact that you can make the creamy egg salad in advance makes them even more aPEELing!
- 1 dozen hard-boiled eggs peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 ribs celery finely diced
- 1 large shallot finely diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 cocktail bread cut into slices or baguette slices
- 1 tablespoon chives minced, optional
In a large bowl, stir together the first 8 ingredients. Cover and chill for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
To serve spoon a heaping tablespoon of egg salad onto each cocktail bread slice and garnish with minced chives.
tools and equipment:
large bowl, wooden spoon, egg slicer or chef's knife, cutting board, measuring spoons, measuring cups, medium saucepan
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s recipe for Make-Ahead Creamy Egg Salad Canapes as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware or fabric items, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. When I find a great product or service, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn a commission for my recommendations. As always, thank you so much for your support!