Substituting cauliflower rice for white or brown rice is what makes this a low-carb Cabbage Roll Casserole. I promise you’ll never even miss the rice. The flavor is spot-on and completely delicious low-carb dinner!
I’d been hearing a lot about cauliflower rice, but it took me a long time to jump on the bandwagon.
Then, one night decided I’d give it a go as I played around with my idea for this keto deconstructed cabbage roll casserole and the results were fantastic!
You’ll never miss the rice. You have my word on that!
Bacon-Wrapped Broccoli Stalks (featured in the video below) is another low-carb/keto recipe I know you’ll also enjoy!
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making this Keto Cabbage Roll Casserole is available near the end of this post.Jump to Recipe
The ingredient list;
**Note – The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- Green Cabbage
- Cauliflower, riced
- Ground beef
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Cheddar cheese (optional)
Kitchen tools and equipment needed;
- Food Processor
- Large High-Sided Skillet
- 3-Quart Casserole Dish
- Chef’s Knife
- Cutting Board
- Wooden Spoon
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
What makes this recipe keto?
Cauliflower has got to be the most versatile of ingredients when cooking and eating keto.
It can be used as a substitution for so many things when you’re watching your carb intake, such as potatoes (check out my recipe for Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Mashers), wheat products (as in pizza crust, from this recipe I found on Pop Sugar), and, of course for rice, as in the recipe I’m sharing with you today.
Can this keto main course recipe be frozen?
Yes! I suggest making and baking the entire casserole and allowing it to cool completely before freezing.
Wrap well in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
To cook from frozen, please the casserole in a preheated 350-degree oven, covered, for 60 minutes. Uncover and cook for an additional 15 minutes, if needed, to heat through.
Recipe notes and tips for making homemade cauliflower rice;
- Making cauliflower rice is super easy as long as you follow a few simple suggestions. All you’ll need is a nice, healthy head of cauliflower cut into small florets (approximately 2″), and a food processor.
- I found that the smaller I cut the florets, the easier it was for my processor to turn the cauliflower into fine crumbs.
- The other thing I found made it easier was to not pack the processor too full.
- Working in smaller batches and not overstuffing was the key to my successful “ricing.”
What about using store-bought cauliflower rice?
You can now purchase cauliflower which has already been “riced” in the frozen vegetable section of the market. Look for it if you don’t own a food processor, or if you’re short on time.
Below are the easy step-by-step photo instructions for making keto cabbage roll casserole;
- If making homemade cauliflower rice, cut the cauliflower into 2″ pieces and pulse in a food processor to form a rice-like consistency.
- Saute the cauliflower rice in a large skillet along with the butter and olive oil.
- Add the sliced cabbage to the skillet along with the chopped onion.
- Saute over medium/high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Continue sautéing until the cabbage wilts down in the pan, and all the flavors have combined (approximately 10 minutes).
- Remove the cabbage mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the same large skillet, brown the ground beef over high heat until no pink remains.
- Stir in the precooked bacon and the remaining salt and pepper.
- Add the browned beef to the bowl with the cabbage mixture and stir to combine.
- Spray a 1½ quart casserole dish with the olive oil spray and spoon the cabbage/beef mixture evenly into the dish.
- Cover the casserole dish with a lid (or use foil) and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add cheese if desired (not shown), and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
For other low-carb and/or keto recipes, please click on the following titles for;
- Bacon-Wrapped Broccoli Stalk Appetizers (pictured below and in the featured video) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
“The idea for these Bacon Wrapped Broccoli Stalk Appetizers came to me one night as I was preparing broccoli for dinner. I’m not normally a broccoli stalk eater, but disposing of them is awfully wasteful. That’s when my lightbulb moment hit, and the results are utterly delicious!”
- Keto Farmer’s Bread from Low-Carb No-Carb
- Low-Carb Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower Casserole (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
“Mashed cauliflower is mixed with cream cheese, butter, cream, garlic and horseradish sauce for an extra zip of flavor! Even if you’re not a huge cauliflower fan, I hope you’ll give this recipe for cheesy Mashed Cauliflower Casserole a try because I believe it will make you (or someone you love) a cauliflower convert.”
- Low-Carb German Black Forest Cake from My PCOS Kitchen
- Keto Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Portobellos (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
“This original Kudos Kitchen recipe for Speedy Keto Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms is my fast and speedy riff on a traditional chicken Parmesan…with a keto twist!”
- Keto Peanut Butter Cookies from Salads for Lunch
- Un-Stuffed Low-Carb Cabbage Roll Casserole (pictured below) this is the place!
Whether you’re working on a blue screen device or in the kitchen, the following affiliate products are ones I can highly recommend to save your eyesight and your sanity.
Below is a photo of my blue blocker computer glasses in action! I swear by them! I work at the computer for what feels like all-day, every-day, and these glasses have relieved a great deal of eye-stress and migraine problems for me.
A neurologist was the one who recommended I get myself some, and it was the best thing he could have told me to do, so now I pass that information on to you!
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Keto Cabbage Roll Casserole.
- 1 head cauliflower cut into 2″ florets and riced (in batches) in a food processor
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ head green cabbage cored, and cut into shreds
- 1 medium onion rough chopped (your favorite variety)
- 3 teaspoon salt divided
- 1½ teaspoon pepper divided
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 5-6 slices bacon precooked and crumbled
- 2 pounds ground beef browned
- olive oil spray
- shredded cheddar cheese optional
In a large saute pan with high sides, melt the butter and olive oil over medium/ high heat. Add the riced cauliflower and saute for 4-5 minutes.
Add the onion, shredded cabbage, precooked bacon, garlic, teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
Continue sauteing until the cabbage wilts down in the pan, and all the flavors have combined (approximately 10 minutes).
Remove the cabbage mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In the same large skillet, brown the ground beef over high heat until no pink remains. Stir in the remaining salt and pepper.
Add the browned beef to the bowl with the cabbage mixture and stir to combine.
Spray the casserole dish with the olive oil spray and spoon the cabbage/beef mixture evenly into the dish.
Cover the casserole dish with a lid (or use foil) and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the lid, add cheese if desired (not shown), and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes.
As a time saver, this casserole can be made ahead and refrigerated before baking and serving.
If refrigerating, make sure you bring the casserole to room temperature before baking or increase the baking time by half.
tools and equipment:
large casserole dish, large skillet, chef’s knife, cutting board, food processor, large bowl, wooden spoon or spatula, measuring spoons, measuring cups
Thank you so much for visiting me here in my Kudos Kitchen!!
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s low-carb and delicious Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For more information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, please follow me on my social media:
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!