This Creamed Spinach Casserole is a super easy low-carb side dish that is a perfect accompaniment to any main course entree. Or, it can be the main course itself if you're living a vegetarian lifestyle.
I'm trying to do more and more low-carb cooking since it's the eating plan my family and I have decided to implement in our busy lifestyle.
Because of that, I've developed this recipe for Keto Creamed Spinach Casserole which has an incredibly cheesy flavor, and it's deliciously satisfying and satiating.
The ingredient list:
- cream cheese
- cup cottage cheese (full fat)
- heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- shallot (or garlic)
- fresh baby spinach leaves
- roasted red pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
The step by step photo instructions for making Creamed Spinach Casserole:
- In a large saute pan saute minced shallots in melted butter.
- Add the baby spinach leaves and stir well.
- Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the diced roasted red peppers to the pan and cover and cook for an additional 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, salt, pepper, and grated nutmeg.
- Add the egg and cheese mixture into the skillet with the spinach and roasted red pepper and remove from the heat.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 3-quart casserole dish and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 60 minutes, or until the center is set and the casserole is a golden brown in color.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
This recipe for Keto Creamed Spinach Casserole is one I came up with when I'd decided to make a creamed spinach side dish. You know, like the ones you get in great steakhouses.
However, the more I worked on it the recipe, the more it morphed into a casserole. And I, for one, am quite pleased with the results.
For additional side dish recipes that aren't necessarily low-carb or keto, but will still go great with a meaty steak, please click on the following titles:
- Carrot and Leek Gratin
- One Bowl Beer Bread Biscuits with Herbs
- Chilled Orzo Pasta Salad with Corn and Blueberries
- Roasted Red Potatoes with Lemongrass and Cilantro
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today's low-carb spinach casserole recipe.
⭐If you've made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave it a star rating on the recipe card, along with a comment if you're so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
Creamed Spinach Casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 pound fresh baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- ½ cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1 8 ounce block cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup cottage cheese, full fat
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- pinch grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced shallots and saute for approximately 1 minute.
- Add the spinach to the skillet. Stir well. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped red peppers to the skillet. Stir well. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream cheese, cottage cheese, heavy cream, Parmesan, mozzarella, salt, pepper, nutmeg and garlic powder.
- Turn off the heat. Carefully pour the egg mixture into the spinach mixture and stir well to combine.
- Pour the spinach and egg mixture into a prepared 3-quart casserole dish that has been liberally sprayed with cooking spray.
- Place the casserole dish on a baking sheet and place into a preheated 350-degree oven until the center is set, and the casserole is golden brown, approximately 60 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven to cool slightly before serving.
I hope you've enjoyed this Creamed Spinach Casserole recipe as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you.