Surprise Chilled Orzo Pasta Salad with Sweet Corn and Blueberries may be a little unexpected, but after your first bite, you'll keep coming back for more!
What goes better with a backyard BBQ or party in the warm weather than a chilled pasta salad? Not much in my book.
This recipe for chilled Surprise Orzo Pasta Salad with Sweet Corn and Blueberries is the perfect accompaniment for any kind of protein. Or, it can be a vegetarian lover's delight, and stand completely on its own.
Once you make and taste this salad, you might be surprised that it will become one of your favorites.
And, who knows? It could even become your "signature dish" you become famous for, after bringing it to all the pot-luck parties in the neighborhood. Now that wouldn't surprise me at all! *wink*
Surprise Orzo Pasta Salad with Sweet Corn and Blueberries takes about 15 minutes to assemble.
This salad is best served chilled after it's had a chance to remain in the fridge overnight. This way all the ingredient flavors in the dressing can marry and unite into a tasteful union.
I played around with the ingredients for this salad for quite some time until I was completely satisfied with how it all came together.
The addition of the honey to the dressing helps to round out the flavor of the dressing, and it plays well against the tart and tangy bite of the lime juice and Dijon mustard.
The shallots are a nice touch without being overpowering, as onion or garlic sometimes are, and the final addition of fresh cilantro at the end is just light enough to lend a slight citrus flavor to an already unforgettable salad.
Assemble the ingredients for making Chilled Orzo Pasta Salad with Sweet Corn & Blueberries. Mince the shallots. Cook and drain the orzo pasta according to the package directions.
The step-by-step photo instructions:
- Add the cooked pasta to a large serving bowl.
- In a small bowl mix together the dressing ingredients; shallots, lime juice, Dijon mustard, olive oil, honey, and black pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta and mix well.
- Add the corn, chopped cilantro, chopped scallions, blueberries, salt, and additional black pepper (if needed) to the pasta and stir well to combine.
- Cover, and chill the salad for at least 4 hours, but overnight is better.
- Stir before serving and garnish with additional cilantro if desired.
- Best served chilled, but this salad is also delicious at room temperature.
This is one of the best cold pasta salads I've ever had, and the best part (other than the flavor, of course) is that there is no mayonnaise involved. So even on the hottest of days, this salad can sit out for hours without any worries that the salad has spoiled.
Orzo Pasta Salad with Sweet Corn and Blueberries
- 1 box orzo pasta cooked to package directions and drained.
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice approximately 3-4 limes
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1½ cups corn kernels frozen will work
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish if desired
- Add the cooked pasta to a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, shallots, mustard, and honey. Pour the dressing over the pasta and stir to combine.
- Add the corn, blueberries, scallions and ¼ cup of the chopped cilantro. Stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
chef's knife and cutting board
Looking for other ways to incorporate fresh herbs into your snacks and meals? I've got a few suggestions I think you'll enjoy...
Thyme for Beer Bread - (quick bread recipe)
Cooking with fresh herbs is the single most flavorful way to wake up the flavor of all your foods. Whether you're cooking sweet or savory, it's the addition of fresh herbs that will set your dish apart from all the others!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.