This Crowd-Pleasing Creamy Golden Dijon Potato Salad will be the first thing to disappear from the picnic table this summer. It’s cool, creamy and refreshing with just the right amount of tang from the Dijon, and the right amount of crunch to balance all that creaminess.
I always gravitate to the potato salad when it comes to a picnic or BBQ. There is something about a perfectly cooked potato mixed with a creamy sauce that gets me every time. I mean EVERY time…and this creamy Dijon Potato Salad is no exception!
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Dijon Potato Salad is available at the end of this post.
The ingredient list for making creamy Dijon Potato Salad;
- 1½ pounds of golden nugget potatoes
- mayonnaise (your favorite brand)
- Dijon mustard
- chopped celery
- chopped hard-boiled eggs
- chopped red onion
- chopped bread and butter pickles
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- chopped celery leaves for garnish (and taste)
This Creamy Golden Dijon Potato Salad is everything I want in a chilled potato salad, and I trust it will be everything you’re looking for as well.
In addition to the delicious taste and tang, Creamy Golden Dijon Potato Salad is also SUPER EASY to make. Who knows? Maybe it will even become YOUR signature potato salad recipe! And if it does, I expect (and encourage) YOU to take FULL CREDIT when the compliments come flying in!
Can Dijon Potato Salad be made in advance?
YES!! I recommend it!
Making this potato salad in advance and keeping it in the fridge for at least 4 hours (longer is even better) before serving, will give the flavors a chance to marry and intensify.
How long will this potato salad keep in the refrigerator?
As long as it is kept in a covered container in the refrigerator, this potato salad will keep for up to 6 days.
Can this potato salad be frozen?
I don’t recommend it as it would change the consistency of the potatoes once thawed and the mayonnaise base will break and separate.
The step-by-step directions for making Dijon Potato Salad;
- Dice the golden nugget potatoes into approximate ½” pieces.
- Bring them to a boil in salted water until fork-tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, dice the onion, celery, bread and butter pickles, hard-boiled eggs, and celery leaves.
- Add the potatoes to a large bowl along with the chopped onion, celery, and pickles.
- Stir gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and Dijon mustard.
- Add the mustard mixture to the large bowl with the potatoes and stir gently to combine.
- Top the salad with the chopped eggs and celery leaves and chill at least 4 hours before serving.
Wondering what to serve alongside this Creamy Golden Dijon Potato Salad? Please click on the following recipe titles for some great suggestions;
- Dill Pickle Pork Chops
- Greek Lamb Burgers
- Fresh Healthy Broccoli Salad
- Gluten-Free Bacon Oatmeal Cookies
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Creamy Golden Dijon Potato Salad.
If you enjoy this recipe and are anxious to give it a try, I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give this recipe some feedback by way of stars. Thank you so very much! 🙂
- 1½ pounds golden potatoes, cut into ½” pieces
- 4 quarts water
- 3 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped bread & butter pickles
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, rough chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery leaves, parsley may be substituted
In a large pot, bring the potatoes to a boil along with 2 teaspoons of the salt. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork tender. Approximately 10-12 minutes. Drain the potatoes.
While the potatoes are cooking, dice the celery, onion, pickles, eggs, and celery leaves.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and Dijon mustard. Set aside.
Add the potatoes to a large bowl and gently stir in the diced celery, diced onion, diced pickles, garlic powder, and the remaining salt and pepper.
Gently stir the mayonnaise and Dijon into the potatoes, making sure not to break up too many the potato pieces.
Top the potato salad with the chopped eggs, and the chopped celery leaves.
Chill at least 4 hours before serving, or overnight is best.
Tools and equipment:
large saucepan, chef’s knife, cutting board, wooden spoon, whisk, medium bowl, measuring cups, measuring spoons, large bowl, colander.
Note: This potato salad is best chilled for at least 4 hours before serving, but overnight is best.
Never leave a mayonnaise-based potato salad sitting out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. If the temperature outside is HOT, never leave a mayonnaise-based potato salad sitting out for longer than 1 hour.
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe for Creamy Golden Dijon Potato Salad as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!