Crowd-Pleasing Dijon Potato Salad will be the first thing to disappear from the picnic table this summer. It's cool, creamy, and refreshing with just the right amount of tang from the Dijon, and the perfect amount of crunch to balance all that creaminess.
I always gravitate to the potato salad when it comes to a picnic or BBQ.
There is something about a perfectly cooked potato mixed with a creamy sauce that gets me every time. I mean EVERY time...and this creamy Dijon Potato Salad is no exception!
- The ingredient list:
- Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- Why this potato salad recipe works!
- This chilled BBQ side dish goes great with:
- Can Dijon Potato Salad be made in advance?
- How long will this potato salad keep in the refrigerator?
- Can this potato salad be frozen?
- The step-by-step directions:
- Need burger recipes to serve along with your potato salad?
- Additional side dishes you'll enjoy:
- Printable Recipe Card
- Dijon Potato Salad
The ingredient list:
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- 1½ pounds of golden potatoes
- mayonnaise (your favorite brand)
- Dijon mustard
- chopped celery
- chopped hard-boiled eggs
- chopped red onion
- chopped bread and butter pickles
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- chopped celery leaves for garnish (and taste)
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- large stockpot
- measuring cups and spoons
- chef's knife
- cutting board
- large and medium mixing bowl
- wooden spoon or spatula
- large serving bowl
Why this potato salad recipe works!
Golden Dijon Potato Salad is everything I want in a chilled BBQ side dish, and I trust it will be everything you're looking for as well.
In addition to the delicious taste and tang, it is also super easy to make.
Who knows? Maybe it will even become your signature bbq side dish recipe!
And, if it does, I expect (and encourage) you to take full credit when the compliments come flying in...and they will!
This chilled BBQ side dish goes great with:
- pulled pork
- bbq chicken
- bbq ribs
- bbq brisket
- smoked meats
- you name it!!
Can Dijon Potato Salad be made in advance?
YES!! I recommend it!
Making this dijon potato salad in advance and keeping it in the fridge for at least 4 hours (longer is even better) before serving, will give the flavors a chance to marry and intensify.
How long will this potato salad keep in the refrigerator?
As long as it is kept in a covered air-tight container in the refrigerator, this potato salad will keep for up to 6 days.
Can this potato salad be frozen?
I don't recommend it as it could change the consistency of the potatoes (once thawed) and they may become mushy.
You may also run the risk that the mayonnaise could break (once thawed), and become an oily mess.
It's just not worth the risk.
The step-by-step directions:
- Chop the washed golden potatoes into approximate ½" pieces.
- Bring them to a boil in salted water until fork-tender. (approximately 15 minutes).
- While the potatoes are cooking, dice the onion, celery, bread and butter pickles, hard-boiled eggs, and celery leaves.
- Add the cooked potatoes to a large bowl along with the chopped onion, celery, and pickles.
- Stir gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and Dijon mustard.
- Add the mustard mixture to the bowl with the potatoes and stir gently to combine.
- Top the salad with the chopped eggs and celery leaves and chill at least 4 hours before serving.
Need burger recipes to serve along with your potato salad?
- Greek Lamb Burgers - (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
Juicy Greek Lamb Burgers with Feta Cheese &Tzatziki Sauce mimics the big, bold Greek flavors of an authentic gyro sandwich! OPA!
- Loaded Taco Burger from Cooking on the Front Burner
- Chesapeake Crab Burger from Homemade Interest
- Aloha Turkey Burger (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
If you’re of the mindset that turkey burgers are bland, dull and dry…get over it!
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Burger from Evolving Table
- Steakhouse Burgers from Lady Behind the Curtain
- Italian Sausage Pizza Burgers (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
How about whipping up these Italian Sausage Pizza Burgers for out on the grill? They’re the best of both worlds (pizza and burgers), and they take less time to get on the table than traditional delivery from your local pizza joint.
Additional side dishes you'll enjoy:
You won't find a better macaroni salad than this chilled Macaroni and Pea Salad. It may sound like a bold statement, but it's the truth. This pasta salad has a perfectly balanced flavor that's light and refreshing.
Crunchy, healthy, and completely addictive. This Sunflower Crunch Kale and Cabbage Salad has it ALL going on!! Dig in! You're going to love this colorful salad!
French Onion Mac and Cheese recipe has got your name written ALL over it, and I'm happily handing it to you! You're welcome! 🙂
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
Dijon Potato Salad
- 1½ pounds golden potatoes cut into ½" pieces
- 4 quarts water
- 3 teaspoons coarse salt divided
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup finely chopped bread & butter pickles
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, rough chopped
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery leaves parsley may be substituted
- In a large pot, bring the potatoes to a boil along with 2 teaspoons of the salt. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are fork tender. Approximately 10-12 minutes. Drain the potatoes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, dice the celery, onion, pickles, eggs, and celery leaves.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and Dijon mustard. Set aside.
- Add the potatoes to a large bowl and gently stir in the diced celery, diced onion, diced pickles, garlic powder, and the remaining salt and pepper.
- Gently stir the mayonnaise and Dijon into the potatoes, making sure not to break up too many the potato pieces.
- Top the potato salad with the chopped eggs, and the chopped celery leaves.
- Chill at least 4 hours before serving, or overnight is best.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed this delicious side dish recipe for Dijon potato salad as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!