How about whipping up some Italian Sausage Pizza Burgers for out on the grill?
They're the best of both worlds (pizza and burgers), and they take less time to get on the table than a traditional pizza delivery and they taste better than a standard burger.
The best thing about these pizza burgers (besides the taste), is that you can top them with all your favorite ingredients, just as you would your favorite pizza.
For ours, I topped them with some grilled green peppers and onions, but think about adding pepperoni, bacon, mushrooms, and anchovies! Well, maybe we'd better stop at mushrooms! LOL
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions and complete ingredient measurements for making Italian Sausage Pizza Burgers is available near the end of this post. OR Click on the "Jump to Recipe" text (found below) to be taken directly to the recipe card.
The ingredient list:
- bulk Italian Sausage
- dried basil
- dried oregano
- green bell peppers (optional)
- sweet onions (optional)
- mozzarella cheese
- garlic powder
- olive oil
- hamburger buns
- marinara sauce
- salt and pepper
Why this recipe is extra special?
It's the Garlic buns, people!! Before serving, slather the buns liberally with softened butter and add a hefty sprinkling of garlic powder.
Then, toast or grill the buns until slightly crunchy! The taste of the garlic buns really elevates a boring pizza burger to THE BEST Italian Sausage Pizza Burger you've ever eaten!
Other Italian pizza burger topping suggestions:
- bbq sauce
- Parmesan cheese
- you name it!
Want more pizza, and pizza-inspired recipes?
- Garlic Lovers Deep Dish Pizza (pictured below)
If you’re a huge garlic lover then you simply MUST try this Garlic Lover’s Pizza! The crust is super simple to make and is the perfect thickness to hold at the garlicy, cheesy goodness this pizza possesses!
- Pepperoni Pizza Mac 'N Cheese (pictured below and showcased in the featured video)
For those times when you can’t decide what to make for dinner, I suggest you whip up this Pizza Mac & Cheese. It’s a cross between two of your favorite things; pizza, and mac and cheese. Your family will thank you!
- Pepperoni Pizza Nachos for the air fryer or oven (pictured below)
Yep! You heard me correctly. Pizza Nachos. Make them in an air fryer, or traditional oven. Please. Thank you. You’re welcome!
Below is the printable recipe card including the nutritional information for today’s Pizza Burgers.
If you've made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave it a star rating on the recipe card, along with a comment if you're so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
Best Italian Sausage Pizza Burgers
- 2 pounds bulk Italian Sausage
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder, plus more for the buns
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 8 hamburger buns
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup prepared marinara sauce, warmed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat grill (or grill pan) to medium/high.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sausage, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and basil.
- Divide the meat mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into burger patties.
- Grill the patties on a preheated grill (or grill pan) for approximately 7-8 minutes per side (cover for half of the cooking time).
- Meanwhile, in a grill basket (or a large stovetop skillet), season and cook the green peppers and onions with the salt and olive oil until they are slightly wilted and no longer crunchy. Stirring occasionally.
- Place the cheese on the burgers and cook just until the cheese has melted. Remove from the grill and keep warm.
- Spread the softened butter on both sides of the buns and season with garlic powder to taste.
- Place the buns (butter side down) on the grill, or skillet, and cook until they're browned and lightly crispy.
- Place a burger on a bun, top with prepared warmed marinara sauce, and the sauteed green pepper and onions.
- Serve hot.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for the Best Italian Sausage Pizza Burgers as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
To see more, like and follow me across my social media platforms (buttons shown below), and don't forget to tag me (@kudoskitchen) with photos and comments on the recipes you've made. I'll see you there!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – Where I joyously bring you easy, economical, and delicious comfort food dishes to feed the people you love!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!