This kale salad with berries is a deliciously healthy side dish that takes only minutes to prepare. It's chock full of Mother Nature's healthiest ingredients and then topped with a homemade vinaigrette which has just the right amount of tang to complement the hearty kale.
Kale recipes are something I find myself drawn to lately as I strive to eat a little bit healthier, and a little bit fresher. This salad is one of my favorites. Not only is it a wonderful treat to look at, but it's also simply scrumptious to eat.
Healthy doesn't have to be boring. Healthy can also be vibrant, colorful, and exciting. This amazing kale salad is a prime example of just that!
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making this super easy antioxidant-rich Rubbed Kale Salad with Berries is available at the end of this post.
The ingredient list for the kale salad with berries;
- Fresh Kale
- Fresh Blueberries
- Fresh Raspberries
- Fresh Blackberries
- Fresh Broccoli
- Salt and Pepper
The ingredient list for the homemade raspberry vinaigrette;
Additional oil and vinegar options for making homemade vinaigrette;
What does kale taste like?
Kale belongs to the same family as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts.
It is hearty and earthy tasting with a slightly bitter tang which makes it perfect for pairing with slightly sweeter ingredients such as carrots and berries, as in this kale berry salad.
Can this kale salad recipe be made in advance, and how long will it keep in the refrigerator?
As long as you don't dress the salad with the vinaigrette (or other salad dressing) prior to serving, this salad can be made in advance and kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days if cover well.
Once the salad is dressed, it should be eaten as soon as possible. If the salad is dressed in advance, the kale will wilt and become soggy. Although the kale salad will still be perfectly fine to eat, the crisp and hearty texture of the kale will be affected if dressed too far in advance of serving.
Why do I need to massage (or rub) the chopped kale?
Rubbing the chopped kale leaves between your fingers will ensure a more tender, less bitter, salad.
It's not imperative that massaging the kale leaves be done, but it does make the kale more palatable for most people.
Since it only takes a matter of moments to give your kale the extra love it deserves, I encourage you to take the time and not skip this step.
Can this kale salad with berries be frozen?
I would not recommend freezing this salad after it's made because the texture will change upon thawing.
However, fresh kale can be frozen (after it's been blanched) for use in things like smoothies and fresh juicing.
For additional information regarding freezing kale, check out this informative article from Organize Yourself Skinny.
Why is kale considered a superfood?
- Kale is an excellent source of vitamin C. A single cup of kale contains more vitamin C than an orange.
- It can help reduce cholesterol which can lower the risk of heart disease.
- Kale is very high in beta-carotene which is an antioxidant that the body can turn into vitamin A.
- It is very high in Lutein and Zeaxanthin which are nutrients that protect eye health.
- A single cup of raw kale provides the body with vitamins K, A, C, B6, Manganese, Calcium, Copper, Potassium, and Magnesium.
- Kale also contains vitamins B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), iron, and phosphorus.
- It's delicious when paired with berries, carrots, broccoli, and shallots. 😉
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s easy Antioxidant-Rich Rubbed Kale Salad with Berries.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
Antioxidant-Rich Rubbed Kale Salad with Berries
For the salad:
- 5 cups fresh kale ribs removed, chopped, and massaged
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1½ cups shredded carrots
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the vinaigrette;
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup raspberry balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
To make the salad;
- Add the chopped kale to a very large bowl and rub (massage) well for 1-2 minutes.
- Layer the remaining salad ingredients in the bowl and top with salt and pepper.
- Chill the salad until ready to serve.
To make the vinaigrette;
- In a jar with a lid, add all of the vinaigrette ingredients together and shake well to combine. Chill until ready to serve the salad.
- To serve, drizzle the kale salad with as much or as little of the homemade vinaigrette as you like, and toss well.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for Rubbed Kale Salad with Berries and Homemade Raspberry Vinaigrette as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you've seen on my site, please don't hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!