Chicken Chile Corn Cakes with Buttery Maple Gravy is my deliciously fun, think-outside-the-box, take on chicken and waffles.
It’s a hearty meal that has a little sweet, a little heat, and a whole lot of deliciousness!
What I love about this dinner (almost as much as I love the flavor), is how easy it goes together using store-bought rotisserie chicken, and boxed cornbread mix.
When time is tight, reach for this super flavorful corn cakes with chicken and gravy recipe, and then don’t tell them how easy it was! That can be our little secret.
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Chicken Chile Corn Cakes is available at the end of this post. OR you can hit the “jump to recipe” button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
This recipe was originally shared in 2017. This post has been updated with additional information, including a recipe card complete with nutritional information, but the recipe itself has remained unchanged.
The ingredient list:
**Note – The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- rotisserie chicken
- cornbread mix
- fire-roasted chiles
- chicken stock
- maple syrup
- all-purpose flour
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- saucepan or skillet
- large bowl
- indoor or outdoor griddle
- measuring cups and spoons
- wooden spoon or spatula
How this recipe came to be:
This Chicken and Chile Corn Cakes with Buttery Maple Gravy is a relatively easy dinner recipe I concocted one night when I’d had a taste for chicken and waffles but wanted to mix things up a little.
Since I already had a rotisserie chicken in the fridge, I shopped around my pantry for items I thought would make a tasty, yet creatively unusual, dinner idea.
Once you try this quick and easy chicken and gravy with corncakes recipe, I’m sure you’ll agree!
Why this recipe works:
If you’re a fan of chicken and waffles, but want to take it to the next level, and in under 30 minutes, then this recipe is for you!
This is a sweet and savory meal that’s a little sweet, with a little heat.
If you want to serve something unusually delicious, yet something that will leave them craving more, than this chicken chile corncakes recipe is one you need in your repertoire.
How long does this recipe take from start to finish?
Approximately 30 minutes, give or take a few.
Making chicken & chile corn cakes is basically as easy as making pancakes in the morning, but with only a few other simple steps needed to make the buttery maple gravy…
And let me tell you, the butter maple gravy is EVERYTHING!
Can leftover chicken be used for this recipe?
As long as you have approximately 4 cups of shredded chicken, you’re good to go.
Can leftover turkey be used in place of the chicken?
Yes, that will work wonderfully well!
And, should you have any leftover turkey gravy (say…from Thanksgiving), why not add a touch of maple syrup to that and use it for the maple syrup gravy?
Winner! Winner! Chicken (or turkey) Chile Corn Cakes for dinner! 🙂
How to make chicken chile corn cakes with buttery maple gravy:
- Add 2 packages of cornbread mix into a large bowl.
- Add milk, butter, eggs, fire-roasted chiles, and maple syrup, and whisk until just combined.
- Set aside while you make the gravy.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter and stir in flour.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, and add chicken stock.
- Cook to thicken, over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Season the gravy with salt and pepper.
- Stir in a bit of maple syrup.
- Remove the chicken from the bones of the rotisserie chicken, discarding the skin.
- Cook the corn cakes on a large, buttered griddle until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve the rotisserie chicken over the chile corncakes, and pour the buttery maple gravy over top.
- Garnish with fresh parsley (if desired) and serve hot!
Can the fire-roasted chiles be omitted from this recipe?
Sure, but I strongly urge you to keep them in the recipe.
If you’re not a fan of heat, let me assure you that the fire-roasted chiles only add a sight touch of heat. Nothing crazy.
That said, if you’re concerned, maybe only use half the can just to test the waters.
Additional easy dinner recipes using rotisserie chicken:
*Chicken Pot Potatoes (pictured below)
What do you get when you combine a baked potato with all the comfort and goodness of a chicken pot pie, but without all the work? Chicken Pot Pie Potatoes, that’s what!
*Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Portobellos (pictured below)
This original recipe for Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Portobellos is my fast and speedy riff on a traditional chicken Parmesan…with a twist!
*French Spaghetti (pictured below)
Fast Friendly French Spaghetti has a rich, slow-cooked flavor but only takes minutes to prepare thanks to store-bought rotisserie chicken.
*Chicken Chile Corn Cakes with Buttery Maple Gravy (pictured below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
Since the recipe for Chicken and Chile Corn Cakes is my riff on a traditional chicken and waffle recipe, I think you might also enjoy my take on Waffle Batter Fried Chicken Tenders (pictured below).
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today’s fast and easy dinner recipe for Corn Cakes with Chicken and Gravy using rotisserie chicken.
If you’ve made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I’d appreciate it if you’d take a moment to leave it a star rating in the recipe card, along with a comment if you’re so inclined. I thank you most sincerely! 🙂
Chicken Chile Corn Cakes with Buttery Maple Gravy
- 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken meat removed from the bones and skin discarded. Set the meat aside.
- To make the gravy:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- To make the corn cakes:
- 2 boxes 8.5 ounces corn muffin mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter melted – plus additional for the skillet
- 2 eggs
- 1 can 4 ounces fire roasted chiles
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- chopped parsley as garnish if desired
To make the gravy:
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter and add the flour over medium heat. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock and continue stirring until thickened.
- Add the maple syrup and the salt and pepper.
- Keep warm.
To make the corn cakes:
- In a large bowl, mix together the corn muffin mix, milk, 4 tablespoons butter, eggs, chiles and maple syrup.
- Heat a large skillet to medium/high heat.
- Brush the skillet with melted butter and add corn cakes approximately 3″ – 4″ in diameter.
- Cook until golden on each side.
- Remove the cooked corn cakes to a plate to keep warm and continue the process with the remaining batter.
- To serve: top the corn cakes with the chicken and the maple gravy.
- Top with parsley if desired.
Thank you so much for visiting me here today in my Kudos Kitchen!
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s recipe for Chicken Chile Corn Cakes with Buttery Maple Gravy as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For more Kudos Kitchen recipe information, please follow me on my social medial channels (listed below), and don’t forget to TAG me @kudoskitchen with photos so I can view all your delicious recipe creations! It’s exciting for me when you share them, so don’t be shy!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – BRINGING YOU EASY, ECONOMICAL, AND DELICIOUS DISHES TO FEED YOUR LOVED ONES!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!