Creamy No Churn Banana Walnut Ice Cream is a favorite for people who love bananas, and the crunch of toasted walnuts.
I’m giving total credit for the inspiration of this no churn banana walnut ice cream for #SummerDessertWeek to my dear friend, Barb. It was Barb who told me a few years ago that her favorite flavor of ice cream growing up as a child was banana walnut. I held onto that ice cream flavor in my head knowing that one day I’d enjoy putting my own spin on a banana walnut ice cream and that I’d like to surprise Barb at her door with a big container of my interpretation of her childhood favorite.
I know Barb will be pleased with the flavor of this No Churn Banana Walnut Ice Cream, and I trust you will be too. Please feel free to reach out to me either through email or the comment section and let me know your thoughts on this flavor ice cream, and if you have any questions regarding this recipe, I’ll be more than happy to answer them for you.
The ingredients I’ve chosen to use in my No Churn Banana Walnut Ice Cream are, naturally, bananas and walnuts. However what you may not expect, and probably didn’t see coming, is the addition of vanilla wafer cookies (because I wanted to mimic an old fashioned banana pudding), and a splash of Rum Chata just for fun!
Of course, the alcohol is an optional ingredient and can be left out entirely (if you’re feeding this to the kiddos), and I promise you’ll still enjoy it every bit as much!
*Please Note – This recipe contains alcohol and should not be consumed by anyone under the age of 21. However, the alcohol can be left out of this recipe if you’re making it for those who should not consume alcohol.
The other ingredients I’ve used to make this No Churn Banana Walnut Ice Cream are basic refrigerator and pantry items. They are; heavy cream, sweetened condensed milk, pure vanilla extract (sent to me by Adam’s Best Extract & Spice who is one of the sponsors of #SummerDessertWeek and who has generously supplied items for our giveaway event), good old store-bought caramel syrup, and a tiny pinch of salt to enhance all the flavors. That’s it.
Disclaimer – This post and recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
Are you finally hungry for some No Churn Banana Walnut Ice Cream? Great. Let’s make some together!
Toast the walnuts in a dry skillet and assemble all the ingredients. In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to whip the heavy cream on high speed until soft peaks form.
In a medium bowl, mash the overripe bananas with the vanilla extract. Add a pinch of salt, and the Rum Chata to the mashed bananas. Stir well.
Add the caramel syrup and the sweetened condensed milk to the mashed banana mixture and stir well to combine.
Gently fold the banana mixture into the whipped cream mixture until thoroughly mixed. Pour half of the mixture into a loaf pan.
Top the ice cream mixture with half of the toasted walnuts, caramel syrup (as much as you like), and vanilla wafer cookies.
Pour the remaining ice cream mixture on top of the vanilla wafer cookies (you may need to poke the cookies back under the ice cream if they float up to the top), and sprinkle the remaining toasted walnuts over the top of the ice cream. Freeze at least four hours before serving.
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the vanilla wafer cookies kept nice and crispy in the ice cream. I wasn’t quite sure if they would get soft or stay crunchy (I felt they’d be a nice addition no matter what happened), but I’m quite pleased with the crisp texture they provide this flavorful ice cream!
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 overripe bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- ½ cup caramel syrup divided
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup Rum Chata
- 16-18 vanilla wafer cookies
- 1 cup chopped walnuts toasted, divided
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer, blend the heavy cream on high until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas with the vanilla extract and salt.
- Stir the Rum Chata, sweetened condensed milk and ¼ cup of the caramel syrup into the mashed bananas. Mix well.
- Gently fold the masked banana mixture into the whipped cream mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Fill half of a loaf pan with the ice cream mixture, top with half the walnuts and the remaining caramel syrup.
- Lay the vanilla wafers evenly over the caramel and gently top with the remaining ice cream mixture. *Note - you may need to push the cookies back down under the ice cream if they float to the top.
- Sprinkle the remaining walnuts over the ice cream and freeze for at least 4 hours before serving.
- To serve, drizzle additional caramel sauce over the ice cream if desired and top with toasted walnut pieces.
Tools and equipment:
1 large bowl
1 medium bowl
spatula or wooden spoon
small skillet (for toasting walnuts)
potato masher (for mashing bananas)
I hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe for No Churn Banana Walnut Ice Cream for #SummerDessertWeek as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you. I’ll be participating in #SummerDessertWeek three days this week.
My next recipe comes up on Wednesday, July 26th. It’s for a Lovely Lemon Cheesecake with Lemon Curd Topping. You seriously don’t want to miss this showstopper! And, I have another ice cream recipe coming up on Thursday, July 27th which is for my Triple Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream with Kahlua, and it features some of the best cherries which the Rainier Fruit Company (another one of our fine sponsors) has to offer.
For other no churn ice cream recipes I’ve shared in the past, I hope I can tempt you with the following:
Until that time, I do hope you take some time to check out all of the other recipes (listed below) which were submitted by the talented group of food bloggers to kick off #SummerDessertWeek 2017. Trust me when I tell you that you won’t want to miss any of them. Also, scroll a little further to find out about the terrific giveaway items we’re offering that were supplied by our sponsors, and while you’re there, don’t forget to enter for your chance to win!!
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Ice Cream Recipes:
- No Churn Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream from Big Bear’s Wife
- No Churn Cherry Crisp Ice Cream from Miss in the Kitchen
- No-Churn Peanut Butter Lovers Ice Cream from Home Sweet Homestead
- No Churn Banana Walnut Ice Cream from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Grilled Pineapple Ring Rum Sundae from Daily Dish Recipes
- Creamy No Churn Peach Ice Cream from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Pies of Summer:
- Lattice Topped Blueberry Peach Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Coconut Key Lime Pie from The Domestic Kitchen
- Berry Cherry Pie from A Blender Mom
Sweet Summertime Cakes:
- Cherry Almond Cake from Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Homemade Angel Food Cake with Sugared Berries from Me and My Pink Mixer
- Cherry Vanilla Poke Cake from The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Gooey Nutella Microwave Mug Cake from For the Love of Food
No Bake Treats:
- Churro Bites with Mexican Chocolate Dipping Sauce from Love Bakes Good Cakes
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes from The JavaCupcake Blog
- Blueberry Limencello Cobbler from Sweet ReciPeas
- Blueberry Biscuits from Fake Ginger
- Blueberry Crumb Bars from Southern Plate
- Cherry Struesel Muffins from My Baking Heart
- Rustic Cherry Galette from Jen Around the World
- Roasted Cherry Meringue Fool from Cooking In Stilettos
- Cherry Rosemary Cobbler from The Spiffy Cookie
- Cherry Almond Cobbler from Southern From Scratch
Welcome to the first #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. We’re so glad that you’ve joined us for this week long event of desserts and giveaways. You’re going to love what we have in store for you.
There are 25 amazing bloggers participating in this year’s event! Throughout the week we’ll be share tons of fantastic summer dessert recipes with you. With over 70 recipes being shared this week we just know that you’re going to find a new summer favorite! Plus, don’t forget that we have 6 (six) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving one winner a $100 Willimas Sonoma Gift Card OR a $100 Sur la Table! Winner of prize #1 gets to pick which gift card they would like!
Prize #2 — Rainier Fruit is giving one winner a Pie dish, Cherry Pitter, Serving Spatula, Pinch Bowls, Pie Carrier! Everything you need to make the perfect cherry or blueberry pie!
Prize #3– OXO is giving one winner an 8 Piece Glass Bake, Serve & Store Set.
OXO Glass Bakeware is made of thermal shock resistant borosilicate glass, which means it can go from freezer to oven without the need to thaw. The OXO 8 Piece Glass Bake, Serve & Store Set is the perfect partner for all of your baking adventures. The Set includes a Glass 3 Qt Baking Dish, Glass 2 Qt Baking Dish, Glass Loaf Pan, Glass Pie Plate, 1 Cup Round SNAP Container, and 2 Cup Round SNAP Container.
Prize #4 — Adam’s Extract is giving one winner a Pyrex with baking utensils and 4oz Adams Best, 1.5 oz Pure Lemon, Almond, Peppermint and Vanilla.
Prize #5 — General Mills Cereal is giving one winner 4 boxes of cereal, 2 Big G Cereal character bowls, 2 Big G Cereal character , 2 “Good Morning” spoons, 2 Cheerios tumblers with straws 1 long-sleeve Cereal Character hooded t-shirt, 1 short-sleeve Cereal Character t-shirt.
Prize #6 — Land O’Lakes is giving one winner a branded insulated tote with a stainless steel water bottle, two mugs with cocoa mix, a dish towel and coasters.
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older.. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 24th until July 30th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterwards and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 6 (six) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 6 (six) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Rainier Fruit, OXO, Adam’s Extract, Land O’Lakes and General Mills Cereal! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
GOOD LUCK, EVERYONE!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!