Layered Turkey Meatloaf is a budget-friendly meal that’s baked in a springform pan, making it a real showstopper when it’s time to serve.
I originally shared this recipe in 2016. I’ve recently updated this post with additional information, including a recipe card complete with nutritional information, but the recipe itself (as well as the photos) have remained unchanged.
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making layered Turkey Meatloaf in a springform pan is available at the end of this post. OR you can hit the “jump to recipe” button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
The ingredient list:
**Note – The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- ground turkey
- canned diced tomatoes
- red onion
- olive oil
- bread crumbs
- Parmesan cheese
- rubbed sage
- frozen chopped kale (or spinach)
- grated nutmeg
- mashed potatoes
- sharp cheddar cheese
- chopped chives
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- 9″ springform cake pan
- mixing bowls
- measuring cups and spoons
- chef’s knife or santoku
- cutting board
- baking sheet
- parchment paper (optional)
- cheese grater (optional)
- nutmeg grater (optional)
How this recipe came to be:
I’d been seeing a lot of savory dishes made in springform pans, but most of them were Italian-inspired pasta dishes.
I wanted to hop on that same trend and make something that was familiar to most people but add in the springform-pan-twist.
Since I had leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge already and some ground turkey and chopped kale in the freezer, the rest just fell into place.
Why this recipe works:
This delicious layered meatloaf is budget-friendly, fast, and delicious. It’s a great way to use leftovers and to turn them into something really special.
Layered turkey meatloaf makes a very pretty presentation that will impress family and friends, so nobody even needs to know they’re eating leftovers!
It’s an entire meal in one dish; protein, carbs, and veggies. What more could you want?
Can instant mashed potatoes be used in this recipe?
If that’s what you have, I’m all for it.
Can spinach be substituted for the kale in this layered meatloaf?
If you’re not a fan of kale, or you happen to have frozen spinach already in the freezer, use it.
Just make sure to thaw it and squeeze out all the water before adding it to the springform pan.
What about making a Thanksgiving layered turkey meatloaf?
I’m all for it!
Just think of all the delicious possibilities for layers; stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans…you get the idea!
Can this turkey meatloaf be frozen after cooking:
Store the entire thing, or individual slices, in air-tight freezer containers and freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw completely before reheating.
To reheat, preheat oven to 350-degrees Fahrenheit and heat, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until hot.
The step-by-step photo instructions for making a layered turkey meatloaf:
- In a large bowl, combine turkey meatloaf ingredients.
- Press the meatloaf mixture into the bottom of a prepared springform pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Place the springform pan onto a baking sheet, and bake in a preheated oven for 50-55 minutes.
- Remove the meatloaf from the oven and top it evenly with kale and mashed potatoes.
- Increase the oven temperature continue baking for an additional 30-35 minutes.
- Top the mashed potatoes with the cheese and return it to the oven until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven and allow the meatloaf to sit for at least 20 minutes.
- Release the springform sides from the meatloaf and carefully place the loaf on a serving platter.
- Garnish with chopped chives.
- Slice the meatloaf into wedges and serve.
Recipes for mashed potatoes:
*Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes (shown below)
Why not give traditional mashed potatoes a little update? Pimento Cheese Mashed Potatoes are easy to make and taste amazing!!
*Make-Ahead Horseradish Mashed Potatoes (not shown)
Take some of the stress out of serving a big holiday meal to a large group of people (or any meal for that matter) by preparing this horseradish mashed potato casserole in advance.
*Celery Root Mashed Potatoes (not shown)
The ultimate comfort food is kicked up a notch or two with these Celery Root Mashed Potatoes. The flavor of potato and celery root complement each other amazingly well.
*Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes (not shown)
By simply adding canned pumpkin puree to Yukon gold mashed potatoes you’ll be amazed by the beautiful fall color, and delicious taste, of these Pumpkin Mashed Potatoes!
*Low-Carb Cauliflower Sweet Potato Mashers (not shown)
When you’re looking for something to satisfy your craving for mashed potatoes but don’t want all those pesky carbs and calories, make these Cauliflower Sweet Potato Mashers. They’re fantastic!
Additional recipes using ground turkey:
*Turkey Taco Stuffed Avocados (shown below and featured in the video)
Making these Healthy Turkey Taco Stuffed Avocados (avo-tacos, if you will), couldn’t be easier. With only a few simple ingredients and spices (most of them you probably already have in your cabinet) this delicious, low-carb meal will on the table in a matter of minutes.
*Homemade Turkey Breakfast Sausage (not shown)
Cutting calories, but not flavor? Then this turkey breakfast sausage recipe is just what you need. Make it in an air fryer or oven. Your call.
*Turkey Parmesan Stuffed Peppers (not shown)
Turkey Parmesan Stuffed Peppers is a delicious low-carb, low-calorie, and keto-friendly dish that is fast, delicious, and easy to make.
*Layered Turkey Meatloaf (shown below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today’s budget-friendly Layered Turkey Meatloaf using leftovers.
If you’ve made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I’d appreciate it if you’d take a moment to leave it a star rating in the recipe card, along with a comment if you’re so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
LAYERED TURKEY MEATLOAF
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes drained
- 1 small red onion grated (about ½ cup)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen chopped kale thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- -Preheat oven to 350-degrees Fahrenheit
- -In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Mix well.
- -Press the meatloaf mixture into the bottom of a prepared springform pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- -Place the springform pan onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake the meatloaf in the preheated oven for 50-55 minutes.
- -Remove the meatloaf from the oven and top it evenly with the kale and the mashed potatoes.
- -Increase the oven temperature to 425-degrees Fahrenheit and continue baking for an additional 30-35 minutes.
- -Top the mashed potatoes with the shredded cheese and return it to the oven until the cheese melts.
- -Remove from the oven and allow the meatloaf to sit for at least 20 minutes.
- -Release the springform sides from the meatloaf and carefully place the loaf on a serving platter.
- -Garnish with chopped chives.
- -Slice the meatloaf into wedges and serve.
Thank you so much for visiting me here today in my Kudos Kitchen!
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s company-worthy ground turkey main course as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you.
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For more Kudos Kitchen recipe information, please follow me on my social medial channels (listed below), and don’t forget to TAG me @kudoskitchen with photos so I can view all your delicious recipe creations! It’s exciting for me when you share them, so don’t be shy!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – BRINGING YOU EASY, ECONOMICAL, AND DELICIOUS DISHES TO FEED YOUR LOVED ONES!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!