Making these healthy low-carb Turkey Taco Stuffed Avocados (avo-tacos, if you will), couldn't be easier. With only a few simple ingredients and spices (most of them you probably already have in your cabinet), this delicious, low carb meal will on the table in a matter of minutes.
When you're craving Tex-Mex food but without all those nasty carbs, then these stuffed avocados are just what you're looking for.
They're filling, are loaded with healthy brain feeding fat from the avocados, and they're packed with all the delicious Tex-Mex flavors you love in a hearty Mexican inspired dish.
The ingredient list:
- ground turkey
- avocado oil
- refried beans
- fresh lime juice
- smoked cumin
- smoked paprika
- ground coriander
- garlic powder
- chili powder
- onion powder
- salt and pepper
- cheddar cheese (optional)
- sour cream or Greek yogurt (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
Why this recipe works:
If you love stuffing avocados in your tacos, why not switch things up a bit by stuffing your avocados with taco ingredients? I can guarantee you'll be hooked after your very first bite!
These turkey taco stuffed avocados can be served for lunch or as a light dinner along with a crisp green salad.
With only a light squeeze of lime or lemon juice to keep the flavors bright and the avocado from turning brown, this is a wonderfully low-calorie dish the whole family can enjoy!
Additional serving suggestions:
If, by chance, you don't think these turkey taco stuffed avocados are your style because you'd be missing the crunch from a traditional taco shell, then why not crunch a few chips over the top to garnish?
This way you still have the crunch you desire, but you'll also be cutting back on a few of the carbs as well.
Also, why not add some beans for extra fiber and protein? Kidney beans, black beans, or even garbanzo beans would be a great choice!
What are the health benefits of avocados?
- Avocados contain more potassium than bananas.
- One whole avocado is packed full of monounsaturated healthy fats. Healthy fats are good for your heart health.
- Avocados are loaded with fiber! Fiber is an important key to weight loss and metabolic health.
- They're packed with powerful antioxidants that can protect eye health.
- Avocados may help relieve symptoms of arthritis.
- Avocados taste great!
For additional information regarding avocados and their health benefits, check out this article from Healthline.
Can these stuffed avocados be made in advance and frozen?
You can surely make the filling in advance, and freeze that if needed. But the avocado halves need to be fresh, not frozen.
Can I substitute ground beef for the ground turkey in this recipe?
Sure, but be aware that the calorie count and nutrition information (provided in the recipe card) will no longer remain the same.
Additional avocado recipes:
Heart-Healthy Avocado Mango Salad with Lime Poppy Seed Vinaigrette is a brightly flavored and satisfying salad. It makes a delicious dinner all by itself, or for extra protein why not add some cooked chicken breast or turkey? Your call. Your salad.
When you're eating a low carb or Keto diet, and you're craving guacamole, but not all those pesky carbs found in corn and tortilla chips, it's time to break out this addicting Keto Guacamole with Pork Rind Dippers.
Avocado toast gets an upgrade with the addition of bacon, egg, and hot sauce for an extra kick of flavor. Avocado Toast with Bacon and Egg is the perfect sandwich for any time of day!
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
Turkey Taco Stuffed Avocados
- 2 ripe avocados halved and pit removed
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese optional
- salsa for garnish optional
- sour cream for garnish optional
- chopped fresh cilantro for garnish optional
- In a large skillet, over medium/high heat, brown the ground turkey and onion until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Stir in the cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, coriander, smoked paprika, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Add the refried beans and mix well.
- Top each avocado slice with a squeeze of lime juice.
- Spoon the ground turkey mixture evenly into each halved avocado.
- Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and salsa, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's turkey taco stuffed avocado recipe as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!