The Irish Grasshopper Cocktail makes you want to kick up your heals and do and an Irish jig! 🙂
This Irish Grasshopper Cocktail is minty, chocolaty, delicious…and STRONG!
It is specifically for the 21 and older crowd ONLY, and should never be consumed by anyone who is planning to drive a motor vehicle!
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making these Irish Grasshopper Martinis is available at the end of this post. OR you can hit the “jump to recipe” button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
This recipe was originally shared in 2011. This post has been updated with additional information, including a recipe card complete with nutritional information, but the recipe itself has remained unchanged.
The ingredient list:
**Note – The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- vodka (your favorite brand)
- crème de menthe
- crème de cacao
- chocolate chips (optional)
- green sanding sugar (optional)
Barkeepers tools and equipment needed:
Why this recipe works?
It’s got everything you love about a good Irish cocktail. The minty flavor, the color, and the kick!
Who knows…maybe you’ll get lucky (Irish humor) after you sample one of these! Just sayin’ 🙂
Just remember to ALWAYS drink responsibly!!
How many cocktails does this recipe make:
Approximately 2 with a little leftover for the bartender.
Can flavored vodka be used in this recipe?
I think a vanilla vodka would be particularly nice in this St. Patrick’s Day cocktail.
I didn’t have any, or I probably would have used at least a little vanilla vodka in the recipe.
Other flavored vodkas would be up to your own taste buds and liking.
Remember, though, that the crème de menthe is minty, and the crème de cacao is chocolate flavor. Please plan accordingly with your flavored vodkas, if desired…
What is the difference between a shot and a jigger?
A shot is the smaller of the two and is typically between 1 and 1¼ fluid ounces.
A jigger measures just a little more at 1½ fluid ounces.
The step-by-step photos of how to make an Irish Grasshopper Cocktail:
- Place chocolate chips in a small zip-top bag and use a meat mallet, rolling pin, or hammer to crush them into tiny pieces.
- Place the smashed chocolate on a paper plate and stir in some green sanding sugar.
- On a second paper plate, add honey in a ring for coating the rim of the martini glasses.
- Turn the glasses upside down into the honey to coat the rim and and add the glass to the chocolate and sugar mixture as garnish.
- Allow to dry for 10 minutes (upside down) before continuing.
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway full with ice.
- Using a jigger (or shot glass), add 4 jiggers vodka, 2 jiggers crème de menthe, and 2 jiggers crème de cacao.
- Firmly place the lid onto the shaker and shake vigorously until completely chilled and the shaker is frosty.
- Carefully pour the Irish Grasshopper Cocktails into the prepared martini glasses and serve cold.
- Sip and enjoy!!
Additional St. Patrick’s Day recipes you’ll enjoy:
*Irish Corned Beef Boxty (shown below)
Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a classically stuffed boxty. An Irish Corned Beef Boxty is a potato pancake stuffed with tender corned beef and lots of melted Swiss cheese.
*Traditional Irish Coffee (not shown)
This traditional Irish coffee recipe will open your eyes with hot brewed coffee, deliciously smooth Irish whiskey, and a touch of creamy sweetness from the whipped cream.
*Irish Shortbread (shown below)
This rolled Traditional Irish Shortbread is rich and buttery. It’s simply the best-tasting cookie that requires only four simple ingredients.
*No-Churn Boozy Irish Coffee Ice Cream (not shown)
Save this Boozy Irish Coffee Ice Cream for after the kiddos have gone to bed, and then you can savor the flavor of being a grownup!
*Irish Grasshopper Cocktail (shown below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today’s St. Patrick’s Day Irish Grasshopper Cocktail.
If you’ve made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I’d appreciate it if you’d take a moment to leave it a star rating in the recipe card, along with a comment if you’re so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
IRISH GRASSHOPPER COCKTAIL
- 4 jiggers vodka
- 2 jiggers creme de menthe
- 2 jiggers creme de cacao
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional) crushed
- 1 tablespoon green sanding sugar (optional)
- Add the chocolate chips to a small zip-top bag and crush to fine crumbs with a rolling pin, meat mallet, or hammer. Pour the chocolate crumbs onto a paper plate.
- Add the green sanding sugar to the crushed chocolate and stir to combine.
- Spoon the honey into a circle on second paper plate.
- Dip the rims of the martini glasses into the honey, and then into the chocolate and green sugar crumbs. Allow the honey and chocolate glasses to sit upside down for 10 minutes to dry (optional).
- Meanwhile, fill a cocktail shaker halfway full with ice.
- Add the vodka, creme de menthe, and creme de cacao to the shaker.
- Place the top onto the shaker and shake the contents until completely mixed and the shaker is frosty.
- Pour the Irish Grasshopper Cocktails into the prepared martini glasses and serve cold.
Thank you so much for visiting me here today in my Kudos Kitchen!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For more Kudos Kitchen recipe information, please follow me on my social medial channels (listed below), and don’t forget to TAG me @kudoskitchen with photos so I can view all your delicious recipe creations! It’s exciting for me when you share them, so don’t be shy!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – BRINGING YOU EASY, ECONOMICAL, AND DELICIOUS DISHES TO FEED YOUR LOVED ONES!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!