This rolled Traditional Irish Shortbread is rich and buttery. It's simply the best-tasting cookie that requires only four simple ingredients. This must be your lucky day!
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Traditional Irish Shortbread is available near the end of this post.
Hi everybody! As we near St. Patrick's day, I wanted to share with you this recipe for Traditional Irish Shortbread.
You can either cut it with cookie cutters or break it into rustic pieces as I did. Whichever way you cut it, this will be a recipe you'll make time and again, and not just for the Irish holiday!
The super-short ingredient list:
- All-purpose flour
What I love the most about this recipe for Irish Shortbread (other than how delicious it is), is the ease with which this dough comes together and how simple it is to roll out.
I received this nifty Kudos Kitchen rolling pin for Christmas so I thought this would be the perfect recipe to show off this extremely fun (and functional) gift.
Thank you, Adam. I love this rolling pin very much and I'm proud to showcase it in my kitchen and with my baking. 🙂
What I did with this Irish Shortbread dough is rolled it out into two separate blocks, and left them whole. However, cookie cutters can certainly be used to cut the unbaked dough into any shapes you like.
I decided I wanted to keep the cookies on the "rustic" side, so after the dough was baked, I broke them into random pieces. I really like the way it turned out. It's approachable and completely unpretentious.
Rolling out Traditional Irish Shortbread:
- Place the dough on a sheet of parchment.
- Roll the dough out to an even ¼" thickness.
- Use a decorative roller (optional) to press the design into the dough.
- OR cut the dough with cookie cutters if desired.
- Trim the dough using a paring knife or pizza wheel to even the edges (optional).
- Bake the dough in a preheated 350-degree oven for 15-17 minutes, or until your desired level of brownness.
- *Note - Traditional Irish Shortbread should only be lightly browned.
- Once baked, cool on a rack.
- Once cooled, break the cookies into rustic pieces (if desired).
The following Irish blessing is compliments of Irish Expressions:
For additional Irish recipes:
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Traditional Irish Shortbread.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
Traditional Irish Shortbread
- 1 cup butter softened (I always use salted)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer (or using a stand mixer and the paddle attachment), beat the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Turn the mixer to low and blend in the flour and salt until fully incorporated and the dough forms a ball.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface (or if baking in blocks, a piece of parchment paper) and roll to approximately ¼" thickness. OR cut the dough with cookie cutters (if using) and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. If baking in blocks, use a pizza cutter to even the edges of the dough, and transfer the cut block of cookie (parchment paper and all) to a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15-17 minutes or until you achieve your desired color or doneness.
- -Cool completely, and break the blocks into pieces (if desired).
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for Traditional Irish Shortbread as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you.
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
To see more, like and follow me across my social media platforms (buttons shown below), and don't forget to tag me (@kudoskitchen) with photos and comments on the recipes you've made. I'll see you there!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – Where I joyously bring you easy, economical, and delicious comfort food dishes to feed the people you love!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!