If you're looking for a deliciously unique sandwich that will knock your socks off, look no further than this Grilled Cheese Breakfast Sandwich!
This unique breakfast sandwich contains a fried egg, fresh asparagus, provolone cheese, and a cornflake coating you probably didn't see coming.
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making this grilled cheese breakfast sandwich is available at the end of this post. OR you can hit the "jump to recipe" button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
The ingredient list (per sandwich);
- 1 egg (cooked to your desired doneness)
- 2 slices of bread (your favorite)
- cornflake crumbs
- avocado oil (or your favorite oil)
- provolone cheese slices
- fresh asparagus spears
- Dijon mustard
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- medium skillet
- slotted spatula
- offset spatula or butter knife
- pie plate or shallow dish
- measuring cups and spoons
- zip-top bag (optional, for making cornflake crumbs)
- rolling pin (optional, for making cornflake crumbs)
Why this recipe works:
There is just something about a sandwich with a runny yolk (if that's not your thing, you can cook your egg to your desired doneness), tons of melted cheese, and a healthy dose of fresh springtime asparagus that gets my taste buds watering.
Now I'm totally craving this grilled cheese breakfast sandwich again, and I think I might have to make it for dinner tonight!
The perfect sandwich for any time of day:
You're going to LOVE this mouthwatering grilled cheese with egg sandwich for breakfast, lunch, OR dinner.
Seriously, if I had my way, I'd be happy to eat this baby for all three meals on the very same day!
Then, maybe I'd turn around and do it all again the next day, too. What can I say? It's that good!!
How this recipe came to be:
When I originally had the idea to make this sandwich my plan was to use panko breadcrumbs as the bread coating for some added crunch.
However, upon assembling my ingredients, I realized that I didn't have the panko in the cabinet as I normally do.
It was a sad moment for me because I thought the recipe idea would have to be put on hold.
Luckily, that wasn't the case, and that's when improvisation and creativity kicked in.
Since I happened to have a box of cornflake crumbs in the cabinet that I use for making my Ham and Cheese Breakfast Strata, the light bulb in my head immediately went off, and the results were better than I could have expected!
Take THAT panko! 😉
How to cut some of the calories from this breakfast sandwich?
I used 4 slices of provolone cheese for each sandwich. This may be a little overkill, but I like a very cheesy grilled cheese.
However, you can cut considerable calories if you only use two slices of provolone per sandwich, and you'll still enjoy a deliciously cheesy sandwich.
Can the asparagus be omitted from this recipe?
Sure. It's your sandwich, so it's your call.
You can also feel free to add some sautéed spinach. That would be delicious and still be a very healthy option.
Can other cheeses be substituted for the provolone?
Feel free to use your favorite sliced cheese...as much or as little as you like.
Additional savory breakfast recipes:
*Egg Sandwich Breakfast Casserole (shown below)
A basic egg sandwich gets an egg-stra special upgrade when it’s turned into this family favorite Egg Sandwich Breakfast Casserole. Serve it for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner. Winner, winner, egg sandwich breakfast casserole for dinner!
*Scrambled Egg Breakfast Sliders (now shown)
Scrambled egg breakfast sliders make for a tasty morning treat. They’re fun to eat, filling, and will please the entire family!
*Avocado Toast with Bacon and Egg (shown below)
Avocado toast gets an upgrade with the addition of bacon, egg, and hot sauce for an extra kick of flavor. Avocado Toast with Bacon and Egg is the perfect sandwich for any time of day!
*Hard-Boiled Egg Stuffed Biscuits (not shown)
These easy-to-make Egg Stuffed Biscuits with Ham & Cheese can be made in a matter of minutes with the help of a few supermarket convenience foods. They’re the perfect grab-and-go breakfast that will please the entire family!
*Grilled Cheese Breakfast Sandwich (shown below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today's delicious grilled cheese with egg sandwich.
⭐If you've made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave it a star rating on the recipe card, along with a comment if you're so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
Grilled Cheese Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- pinch black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons cornflake crumbs
- 5 spears asparagus lightly steamed
- ½ tablespoon avocado oil or your favorite
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices provolone cheese I used smoked
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, Dijon, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place the bread, mayonnaise mixture side down, in the cornflake crumbs. Press lightly. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil and butter. Saute the asparagus until crisp-tender and season with salt and pepper. Remove the asparagus to a plate, and keep warm.
- In the same skillet fry an egg (seasoned with salt and pepper) until your desired doneness. Remove the egg to a plate, and keep warm.
- Place one slice of bread in the skillet (cornflake side down), add two slices of provolone cheese, the egg, the sauteed asparagus, two more slices of the cheese, and the last slice of bread, mayonnaise side out.
- Cook until browned, flip, and cook again until the cheese is fully melted.
I hope you've enjoyed today's grilled cheese breakfast sandwich recipe as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.