If you’re looking for a deliciously unique sandwich that will knock your socks off, look no further than this Grilled Cheese Breakfast Sandwich made with a fried egg, fresh asparagus, provolone cheese, and a bread coating that you didn’t see coming.
You’re going to LOVE this Mouthwatering Grilled Cheese Breakfast Sandwich with Provolone & Asparagus for breakfast, lunch, OR dinner. Seriously, if I had my way, I’d be happy to eat it this baby for all three meals in the very same day! Then, maybe I’d turn around and do it all again the next day, too. What can I say? It’s that good!!
I hope you enjoyed the video! I had fun making it for you and even more fun eating the sandwich when the filming stopped! There is just something about a sandwich with a runny yolk (you can cook your egg to your desired doneness), tons of melted cheese, and a healthy dose of fresh springtime asparagus that sets my taste buds to watering. Even now, watching the video back, I’m totally craving this grilled cheese breakfast sandwich and might have to make it for dinner tonight!
When I originally had the idea to make this sandwich my plan was to use panko breadcrumbs as the bread coating for some added crunch. However, upon assembling my ingredients, I realized that I didn’t have the panko in the cabinet as I thought. It was a sad moment for me. Luckily, that was when improvisation and creativity kicked in.
Since I happened to have a box of cornflake crumbs in the cabinet that I use for making my Ham and Cheese Breakfast Strata, the light bulb in my head immediately went off, and the results were better than I could have expected! Take THAT panko! 😉
- 2 slices bread
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ tablespoon Dijon
- pinch black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup cornflake crumbs
- 5 spears asparagus
- 1 tablespoon oil your favorite
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices provolone cheese I used smoked
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, Dijon, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Spread the mayonnaise mixture on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place the bread, mayonnaise mixture side down, in the cornflake crumbs. Press lightly. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, heat the oil and saute the asparagus until crisp tender. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the asparagus to a plate, and keep warm.
- In the same skillet fry an egg (seasoned with salt and pepper) until your desired doneness. Remove the egg to a plate, and keep warm.
- Place one slice of bread in the skillet (cornflake side down), add two slices of provolone cheese, the egg, the sauteed asparagus, two more slices of the cheese, and the last slice of bread, mayonnaise side out.
- Cook until browned, flip, and cook again until the cheese is fully melted.
- Slice, serve and ENJOY!!
Tools and Equipment:
2 small bowls
One of the things I like to do with my blog, in regard to sharing recipes, is to bring you a wide array of selection. From soup to nuts if you will. Breakfast recipes (particularly the savory ones) are my favorites. Listed below are a few of my tastiest picks that I’d love to bring to your attention.
Now I’m hungry and want some eggs. LOL! Actually eggs are a fantastic choice! They’re a great source of protein, and they’re incredibly versatile. Just don’t forget to season them with salt and pepper. A little goes a long way when it comes to seasoning an egg, but it’s a step you don’t want to leave out.
What goes better in the morning with eggs than a bloody Mary? Spiked or not, it’s a wonderful choice, and one I’m quite fond of. This is a hand painted pitcher and glass set that I did a few years ago. I can paint one for you too, if you’re interested. Please contact me for a price, or you can VISIT MY SHOP for additional information.
All of my hand painted glassware items are painted to order and unique. Each item is painted with the utmost attention to detail and with loving care. Custom orders are always welcome and I will work with your ideas to paint you a one-of-a-kind item you won’t find anywhere else.
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art, and fun collide each and every day!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!