A basic egg sandwich gets an egg-stra special upgrade when it’s turned into this family favorite Egg Sandwich Breakfast Casserole. Serve it for breakfast, brunch, or even dinner. Winner, winner, egg sandwich breakfast casserole for dinner!
Within my family, I’m the self-proclaimed ‘queen of the egg sandwich.’ I think my husband and sons would concur, but you’d have to ask them to be sure.
That said, many months ago I had this idea to take my famous egg sandwiches over the top to fabulous, and I came up with an idea for this egg sandwich casserole. And, if I do say so myself, it’s pretty darned incredible!!
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Egg Sandwich Casserole is available at the end of this post.
The ingredient list;
- American Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese Slices
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Dijon Mustard
- Salt and Pepper
Feeling extra cheesy?
With two kinds of cheese (American cheese slices and shredded cheddar) this egg sandwich breakfast casserole is extra cheesy and extra delicious.
But don’t be afraid to play around with the kinds of cheese you use.
I’m sure this would be just as delicious with Swiss, Jack, Colby, and maybe even cottage cheese stirred in with the egg mixture.
Don’t be afraid to get creative!
Can this egg sandwich casserole be made in advance?
Make it up until the point where you’re ready to pop it into the oven.
Cover it well and refrigerate overnight.
Bake it off in the morning at 350-degrees for 60 minutes.
Can this egg sandwich breakfast casserole be frozen?
After baking, cool completely.
Wrap well and freeze up to 2 months.
To bake, uncover and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 90 minutes.
Cover, and continue baking until heated through (approximately 30 additional minutes).
**The following affiliate links are some suggested products I’ve chosen that will aid you in the making and serving of this savory make-ahead breakfast bake if desired.
The easy instructions for making egg sandwich breakfast casserole;
- Toast 8 slices of bread and lay four of them in the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Top each slice of toast with two slices of American cheese.
- Fry four eggs to over hard consistency and season them with salt and pepper.
- Place the fried eggs on top of the toast and American cheese slices and top the eggs with more two more slices of American cheese each along with some cooked and crumbled bacon.
- Top each sandwich with a remaining slice of toast.
- In a large bowl, whisk 8 eggs and 1½ cups milk along with 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard, and a little additional salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the egg sandwiches in the casserole dish.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and top evenly with 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
- Return the casserole to the oven just long enough for the cheese to melt.
- Remove, and top with some chopped green onions.
- Cool for 15 minutes, slice and serve.
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s savory egg sandwich breakfast casserole.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
- 8 slices White bread toasted
- 12 eggs four for frying, and 8 for whisking
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- 16 slices American cheese
- 4-6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 9 x 13 baking dish
- large skillet for frying eggs
- spatula for flipping eggs
- large bowl for whisking egg mixture
- cutting board and chefs knife for chopping green onions
- box grater if using block cheese
- olive oil cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray the bottom and sides of the casserole dish with the cooking spray.
Lay four slices of the toasted bread in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.
Top each slice of bread with two slices of American cheese.
Fry four eggs in the large skillet with the butter to over hard consistency.
Season each egg with salt and pepper to taste.
Place one egg on top of each toast and cheese slice in the casserole dish.
Top each egg sandwich with an additional two slices of American cheese, each sandwich.
Top each sandwich with a portion of the crumbled bacon.
Top each sandwich with the remaining toast slices.
In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining eggs, milk, salt, pepper and Dijon mustard until well combined.
Carefully pour the egg mixture evenly over the egg sandwiches in the casserole dish.
Bake in a preheated oven for 60 minutes or until the center of the casserole is set and no longer runny.
Remove the casserole from the oven and top evenly with the shredded cheddar cheese.
Return the casserole to the oven just long enough for the cheese to melt.
Remove the casserole from the oven and top with the chopped scallions.
Allow the casserole to sit for 15 minutes.
Slice, serve and enjoy!
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s family favorite savory breakfast recipe as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you.
Should you have any comments or questions regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!