There is nothing like the fresh and flavorful combination of blueberries and lemon. Especially for breakfast. These easy to make Tart & Tender Blueberry Lemon Scones with Lemon Vanilla Icing are the perfect treat to start any day.
If you’ve never made scones before you’re going to be thrilled with how easy they are to make.
With basically one bowl and a wooden spoon or spatula, you’ll have your Blueberry Lemon Scones ready for the oven in no time at all.
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Tart and Tender Blueberry Lemon Scones is available near the end of this post.
The ingredient list;
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- salt, butter
- lemon zest
- egg yolk
- buttermilk or homemade buttermilk alternative
- confectioners sugar
- heavy cream
The day I made these Blueberry Lemon Scones, our eldest son had come over for a visit.
I’m going to put it right out there (with no pretense whatsoever) he doesn’t visit nearly enough…and you can tell him I said so! LOL
However, this particular day his timing was impeccable because the scones were just cool enough to ice and just cool enough to pack into containers for him to take home (after my photo session, of course).
Maybe, just maybe, if I make these scones on a weekly basis, we’d see him a whole lot more often.
At least a mom can dream, right? 😉
The easy instructions;
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg yolk, and vanilla.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Add the blueberries to the bowl and stir gently to combine.
- Add the melted butter and gently mix taking care not to break the blueberries.
- Turn the dough out onto a parchment lined baking sheet which has been lightly dusted with flour.
- Sprinkle a small amount of flour on top of the dough and gently pat the dough into an approximate 8″ disc.
- Flour a knife or bench scraper and gently cut the disc into 8 equal pieces.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for approximately 20 – 25 minutes, or until the scones are deeply golden in color and when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the scones completely on a wire rack.
- Once the scones are completely cool, whisk together confectioners sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and a touch of heavy cream to form a thick icing.
- Drizzle the icing liberally over the cooled scones.
- Break the scones into triangles, and enjoy!
For additional delicious Kudos Kitchen dishes calling for fresh blueberries and/or lemons, please click on the following titles for;
For additional scone recipes from around the web, please click on the titles for;
- Strawberry Cream Scones from Live Well Bake Often
- Orange Cream Scones from A Latte Food
- Paul Hollywood Scones (and because I’m a huge Paul Hollywood fan… look out below. LOL)
As you’ll notice Paul and my scones are slightly different in method, and shape.
Make mine, but watch him. He’s fascinating and very easy on the eyes!
**The following affiliate links are some suggested products I’ve chosen that will aid you in the making and serving of this recipe for Tart and Tangy Blueberry Scones with Lemon Icing if desired.
Plus, I’ve added some additional items that are meant to make you smile, and because it’s fun to shop! 😉
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Blueberry Lemon Scones with Lemon Icing.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour plus additional for shaping
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest approximately 2 large lemons
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1½ cups blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1½ cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Preheat oven to 400-degrees.
Add 2 cups of flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg yolk, and vanilla extract.
Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
Add the blueberries and melted butter to the dough and stir gently to combine.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and dust with additional flour.
Turn the dough out onto the parchment paper and sprinkle with additional flour.
Gently pat the dough into an (approximate) 8" disc.
Flour a knife or bench scraper and divide the dough disc into 8 equal pieces.
Bake the scones in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the scones are a deep golden brown and when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool the scones completely on a wire rack.
In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients to form a thick icing (add more confectioners sugar if needed).
Drizzle the icing liberally over the cooled scones.
Serve and enjoy!
Tools and equipment:
large bowl, wooden spoon, whisk, medium bowl, small bowl, baking sheet, parchment paper (optional) or baking spray, measuring cups, measuring spoons,
microplane (for zesting lemons), kitchen scale (optional)
These delicious homemade scones would be a perfect treat to serve mom, in bed, on Mother’s day. Or, they’d make a lovely Easter breakfast.
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed today’s recipe for Tart and Tangy Lemon Blueberry Scones as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly, or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware or fabric items, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. When I find a great product or service, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn a commission for my recommendations. As always, thank you so much for your support!