There is nothing like the fresh and flavorful combination of blueberries and lemon. Especially for breakfast. These easy to make Tart & Tender Blueberry Lemon Scones with Lemon Vanilla Icing are the perfect treat to start any day.
If you’ve never made scones before you’re going to be thrilled with how easy they are to make. With basically one bowl and a wooden spoon or spatula, you’ll have your Blueberry Lemon Scones ready for the oven in no time at all.
The ingredient list for making Tart & Tender Blueberry Lemon Scones with Lemon Vanilla Glaze is simple. You’ll need all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, butter, lemon zest, egg yolk, buttermilk, vanilla, blueberries, confectioners sugar, and heavy cream.
The day I made these Blueberry Lemon Scones, our eldest son had come over for a visit. I’m going to put it right out there (with no pretense whatsoever) he doesn’t visit nearly enough…and you can tell him I said so! LOL
However, this particular day his timing was impeccable because the scones were just cool enough to ice and just cool enough to pack into containers for him to take home (after my photo session, of course). Lucky kid! Maybe, just maybe, if I make these scones on a weekly basis, we’d see him a whole lot more often. At least a mom can dream, right? 😉
Let’s make some Blueberry Lemon Scones.
In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg yolk, and vanilla.
Pour the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
Add the blueberries to the bowl and stir gently to combine. Add the melted butter and gently mix taking care not to break the blueberries.
Turn the dough out onto a parchment lined baking floured baking sheet which has been lightly dusted with flour. Sprinkle a small amount of flour on top of the dough and gently pat the dough into an approximate 8″ disc.
Flour a knife or bench scraper and gently cut the disc into 8 equal pieces. Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for approximately 20 – 25 minutes, or until the scones are deeply golden in color and when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the scones completely on a wire rack. Once the scones are completely cool, whisk together confectioners sugar, lemon juice, vanilla and a touch of heavy cream to form a thick icing. Drizzle the icing liberally over the cooled scones. Break the scones into triangles, and enjoy!
- For the scones:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for shaping
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (approximately 2 large lemons)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1½ cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- For the lemon icing:
- 1½ cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- To make the scones:
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees.
- Add 2 cups of flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg yolk, and vanilla extract.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Add the blueberries and melted butter to the dough and stir gently to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and dust with additional flour.
- Turn the dough out onto the parchment paper and sprinkle with additional flour.
- Gently pat the dough into an (approximate) 8" disc.
- Flour a knife or bench scraper and divide the dough disc into 8 equal pieces.
- Bake the scones in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the scones are a deep golden brown and when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the scones completely on a wire rack.
- To make the icing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients to form a thick icing (add more confectioners sugar if needed).
- Drizzle the icing liberally over the cooled scones.
- Serve and enjoy!
parchment paper (optional) or baking spray
microplane (for zesting lemons)
These Tart & Tender Lemon Blueberry Scones with Lemon Vanilla icing would be a perfect treat to serve mom, in bed, on Mother’s day. Or, they’d make a lovely Easter breakfast.
And, don’t discount these incredible scones as a delicious treat to nibble on while watching the royal wedding of Prince Harry to Megan Markle (May 19, 2018). After all, scones are a traditional English tea time treat, even though my recipe method for making Blueberry Lemon Scones isn’t traditional at all. That said, these scones are moist and tender. Unlike a traditional English scone which tends be dry and crumbly.
If you’ve liked today’s recipe for Blueberry Lemon Scones with Lemon Vanilla Icing then you’ll probably enjoy the following recipes for:
I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s recipe for Blueberry Lemon Scones as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you. Should you have any questions regarding this recipe, or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly, or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware or fabric items, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!