This recipe for Christmas Pasta with Red & Green Bell Peppers has proven to be a winner in our home every Christmas season, and I trust it will be a winner in your home, too.
The ingredient list for making Christmas Pasta is as follows: 1 pound of Italian sausage, 24 ounces dried spaghetti, 3 red bell peppers, 3 green bell peppers, 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic, salt, pepper, dried basil, dried oregano, and ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese. That’s it. This is a budget meal that doesn’t taste like a budget meal. Plus it will serve a lot of people so it’s perfect to serve during the holidays!!
Christmas Pasta with Red & Green Bell Peppers – 2017
In 2012, this is what I wrote (but, slightly adapted) about this delicious recipe for Christmas Pasta with Red & Green Bell Peppers.
“The other night I awoke and had an overwhelming taste for a sausage and pepper sandwich. Odd I know, but what can I say? It happens.” 🙂
“Since I was going to the grocery store the next day anyway, I purchased some really great looking red and green bell peppers (hence the name Christmas Pasta) and, following inspiration, decided to turn my sausage and pepper sandwich into a pasta dish that can/would feed a crowd.” “Not that we had a crowd coming over, but this would serve as a meal for more than one night during the busy holiday season, because, as we all know, pasta dishes are always the best the next day.”
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ pounds spaghetti, cooked and drained according to package directions
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet over medium/high heat, brown the Italian sausage in the oil.
- Add the salt, pepper, basil, and oregano and continue to cook an additional 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions, peppers, and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Lower the heat to medium, and cover.
- Cook, covered, for 4-5 minutes or until the peppers are softened.
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Add the cooked and drained spaghetti to the casserole dish and top evenly with the Italian sausage and pepper mixture.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over top.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- *Note - Cover well and refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days.
- Delicious as leftovers!
large skillet with cover (or aluminum foil)
large pasta pan
wooden spoon or spatula