This recipe for Christmas Pasta with Red & Green Bell Peppers has proven to be a winner in our home every Christmas season, and I trust it will be a winner in your home, too.
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Christmas Pasta is available near the end of this post.
Below is the original photo from the post back in 2012. As you can see, it was in dire need of an update! The recipe stayed the same, but the photos (thankfully), haven’t.
The ingredient list;
- Bulk Italian sausage
- dried spaghetti
- red bell peppers
- green bell peppers
- dried basil
- dried oregano
- Parmesan cheese
That’s it. This is a budget meal that doesn’t taste like a budget meal. Plus it will serve a lot of people so it’s perfect to serve during the holidays!!
In 2012, this is what I wrote (but, slightly adapted) about this delicious recipe for Christmas Pasta with Red & Green Bell Peppers.
“The other night I awoke and had an overwhelming taste for a sausage and pepper sandwich. Odd I know, but what can I say? It happens.” 🙂
“Since I was going to the grocery store the next day anyway, I purchased some really great looking red and green bell peppers (hence the name Christmas Pasta) and, following inspiration, decided to turn my sausage and pepper sandwich into a pasta dish that can/would feed a crowd.” “Not that we had a crowd coming over, but this would serve as a meal for more than one night during the busy holiday season, because, as we all know, pasta dishes are always the best the next day.”
For additional pasta recipes I’ve shared over the years, please click on the following titles for:
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 red bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 3 green bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1½ pounds spaghetti cooked and drained according to package directions
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- In a large skillet over medium/high heat, brown the Italian sausage in the oil.
- Add the salt, pepper, basil, and oregano and continue to cook an additional 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions, peppers, and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Lower the heat to medium, and cover.
- Cook, covered, for 4-5 minutes or until the peppers are softened.
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Add the cooked and drained spaghetti to the casserole dish and top evenly with the Italian sausage and pepper mixture.
- Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over top.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- *Note - Cover well and refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days.
- Delicious as leftovers!
Tools and equipment:
large skillet with cover (or aluminum foil), cooking spray, chef's knife, cutting board, large pasta pan, strainer, wooden spoon or spatula, tongs (optional)
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe for Christmas Pasta with Red and Green Peppers as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you. This is one of my families favorite pasta recipes and one I serve with pride each and every time.