Chicken, Orzo and Mushroom Casserole is a hearty and delicious comfort food dish with great flavor and consistency. It's a real family pleaser!
I originally shared this recipe in 2013. I've recently updated this post with additional information, including a recipe card (complete with nutritional information), but the recipe along with the original photos have remained unchanged.
The ingredient list
*Please note that the exact measurements along with a new "shop the recipe" feature from Instacart is available in the printable recipe card.
What I wrote about this recipe in 2013
Even though (in the Midwest) our temperatures have soared today to a high of 95 degrees with a heat index in the 100s, I still see that fall is right around the corner.
I'm not sure if it's the angle that the sun is sitting in the sky (in these last few days of August) or that here and there an occasional tree displays a random smattering of red and gold on a few of their otherwise pristine green summertime leaves.
I simply adore all the pumpkins, the fall foliage, the corn stalks, the scarecrows, the cooler weather, and Sunday football (my time to sit on the couch and snooze, while not feeling the least bit guilty)!
I love the fall bonfires, the cozy sweaters, and sweatshirts... (you get the gist), and last, but certainly not least, the longer cooked, hearty, and delicious comfort foods that permeate the kitchen and house with all their aromas of love, and good comfort eats!
You know, like stews, soups, and/or casseroles...casseroles just like this one...
How to properly clean and store mushrooms
What to serve alongside this pasta chicken and mushroom casserole
Serve this casserole alongside this fall fruit and vegetable chopped salad and you have a meal that will warm your heart...no matter what the thermometer says. 😉
How to sauté mushrooms for freezing
When you see mushrooms on sale grab them even if you don't know what you'll be using them for because this easy method for sautéing mushrooms for freezing is the way to save money and flavor.
Additional recipe using mushrooms:
Even if you're not a huge mushroom fan, I'll bet you're going to flip over this Beer Battered Fried Mushroom recipe!
My love of German flavors and ingredients was the original inspiration for this dish of hearty German Meatballs with Caraway Mushroom Cream Sauce. It's a delicious comfort-food recipe, with a German twist.
This original recipe for Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Portobello's is my fast and speedy riff on a traditional chicken Parmesan...with a twist!
The easy instructions
In a large skillet brown the chicken lightly and then add the chopped onion. Cook and stir until the onions soften slightly.
Meanwhile cook and drain the orzo pasta according to the package directions. Add the onion soup mix and the broth to the orzo. Stir well.
Add the mushrooms, and green pepper to the skillet with the chicken and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally (about 5 minutes).
Add the Worcestershire sauce to the skillet and stir well.
Time to add the chicken and mushrooms into the pot with the orzo pasta. Stir well to combine thoroughly.
Spoon the pasta and chicken into a 2 quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle the casserole with Parmesan cheese and bake at 350-degrees for 15 minutes.
Dinner is served, plus it's healthy AND delicious for you and your family! What more can you ask for?
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
Chicken, Orzo and Mushroom Casserole
- 1 box (14 ounces) dried orzo pasta cooked and drained according to the package directions.
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- 2 6 ounce chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup sweet onion rough chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms cleaned and quartered
- 1 pouch dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth chicken broth may be substituted
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the chicken breast in the olive oil until almost completely cooked.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion, green pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper into the skillet with the chicken and cook for approximately 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce into the skillet and allow to cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the onion soup mix and the beef broth to the cooked orzo pasta and stir well to combine thoroughly.
- Add the chicken and mushroom mixture to the orzo pasta and stir well to combine.
- Prepare a 2-quart casserole dish by spraying with nonstick cooking spray and add the chicken orzo mixture into the casserole dish.
- Evenly sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the Parmesan cheese is golden brown.
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!