This Healthy Broccoli Salad with sweet and sour dressing is just what the title suggests. Sweet, sour, healthy, and utterly delicious!
- The ingredient list:
- Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- How this recipe came to be:
- Is this recipe specifically for cancer patients?
- Is broccoli salad best served at room temperature or chilled?
- How many servings does this recipe make?
- How long will this sweet and sour broccoli salad last in the fridge?
- What are some of the health benefits of eating broccoli?
- Additional healthy salad recipes you'll also enjoy:
- Printable Recipe Card
The ingredient list:
- fresh broccoli
- scallions (green onions)
- red grapes
- red leaf lettuce
- slivered almonds
- red wine vinegar
- soy sauce
- olive oil
- granulated sugar
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- cutting board
- chef's knife or santoku knife
- small or medium skillet (to toast the almonds, optional)
- small mixing bowl
- measuring cups and spoons
- serving bowl
- salad tongs for serving (optional)
How this recipe came to be:
To be honest, it's not my own (as stated at the end of the video). I got this recipe out of the cookbook Eating Well Through Cancer.
Since I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I've decided to start sharing some of the recipes from this particular cookbook (and a few others) on my site so others can benefit from these delicious and healthy dishes.
Is this recipe specifically for cancer patients?
Nope. It's for anyone who enjoys healthy, flavor-packed food.
This recipe, in particular, is especially good for those who enjoy the crunch of fresh broccoli and the sweetness of red grapes.
Combine those two ingredients together along with some red leaf lettuce, some zippy flavor from chopped scallions, additional crunch and nuttiness from toasted almonds, and a tart and tangy dressing that ties it all together.
Is broccoli salad best served at room temperature or chilled?
That's up to you to decide.
I found that I like it both ways and that I was happy to eat it at room temperature, immediately after making it.
However, what I also noticed was that after the broccoli and grape salad sat for a few hours (I parked it, covered, in the fridge), the sweet and sour flavor was nicely enhanced, thanks to the red wine vinegar and soy sauce dressing.
How many servings does this recipe make?
The recipe in the cookbook says, 6.
However, I can eat half of it by myself. LOL
How long will this sweet and sour broccoli salad last in the fridge?
If covered well, this healthy salad will last up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Of course, the red leaf lettuce will be a bit wilted after that amount of time, but the flavor still holds up nicely.
That said, if you'd like to make this salad a few days in advance of serving it, might I suggest you put everything together (minus the red leaf lettuce) and right before serving, tear the lettuce, pop it into the bowl, and toss well before serving.
What are some of the health benefits of eating broccoli?
- Multiple studies show that eating broccoli may protect against certain types of cancer.
- Broccoli's bioactive compound may help to reduce inflamation.
- The antioxidant's and fiber found in broccoli may aid in blood sugar control.
- Eating broccoli may support heart health in many ways.
Additional healthy salad recipes you'll also enjoy:
*Avocado and Orange Salad (shown below)
This retro avocado orange salad is delightfully healthy and delicious. And the orange poppy seed dressing is the perfect finishing touch.
*Blood Orange Salad with Blueberries and Feta (not shown)
Antioxidant-Rich Blood Orange Salad with Blueberries and Feta is layered with wonderful flavors, colors, and textures. Eating healthy never tasted so good!
*Heart-Healthy Avocado Mango Salad (shown below)
Heart-Healthy Avocado Mango Salad With Lime Poppy Seed Vinaigrette is a brightly flavored and satisfying salad. It makes a delicious dinner all by itself, or for extra protein why not add some cooked chicken breast or turkey? Your call. Your salad.
*Healthy Rubbed Kale Salad with Fresh Berries (not shown)
This kale salad with berries is a deliciously healthy side dish that takes only minutes to prepare. It’s chock full of Mother Nature’s healthiest ingredients and then topped with a homemade vinaigrette which has just the right amount of tang to complement the hearty kale.
*Sweet and Sour Broccoli Salad (shown below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
When you make this recipe (and I hope that you will), I'd appreciate it if you'd take the time to come back and give it a star rating along with a comment on why you rated as you did. Google appreciates ratings on recipes and, in turn, will show my recipes to more people. Thank you!!
Printable Recipe Card
Healthy Broccoli Salad with Sweet and Sour Dressing
For the salad:
- 4 cups fresh broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup chopped scallions (green onions)
- 2 cups red grapes, halved
- 1 head red leaf lettuce torn into bite-sized pieces
- ¼ cup slivered almonds toasted lightly in a dry skillet
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper (optional)
For the sweet and sour dressing:
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (reduced sodium is preferred)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
To make the salad:
- Toast the almonds in a small skillet over medium until lightly golden (approximately 2 minutes). Set aside.
- Place all the salad ingredients into a large bowl and toss to combine.
To make the sweet and sour dressing:
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl until combined.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli salad and toss well to combine.
- Top the salad with the toasted almonds and serve immediately or chill for 1-2 hours, and serve cold.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's healthy fresh broccoli salad with sweet and sour dressing as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you will come back and visit me often. Please know that there is always room for you around my kitchen table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen on my site, please don't hesitate to reach out to contact me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with you just as soon as I possibly can!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!