Your family and friends will drop their jaws to the floor when you bring this Lovely Lemon Drop Cheesecake to the table!
I made this Lovely Lemon Drop Cheesecake to bring to a friend’s bridal shower. I thought it would be a pretty addition for #SummerDessertWeek as well as the bridal shower buffet table.
I wish you could have heard the oohs and aahs when I walked in with it. I’d never made such an entrance before, but then again, I’d never walked into a party holding such a showstopper cheesecake before either! LOL!
**Please Note – The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Homemade lemon cheesecake is available near the end of this post.
Using real flowers to decorate baked goods;
The flowers I added to the top of this Lemon Drop Cheesecake are ones I purchased from the grocery store. I think they’re called Shasta Daisies. They are non-poisonous.
I had wanted to use different flowers from my gardens, such as sweet peas and something I believe is called “stock”, but after doing a quick internet search, I found out that those types of flowers are poisonous so I had to go in another direction.
Even though the flowers on top of the cake weren’t going to be consumed, it’s still better to err on the side of caution and make sure that if you’re using real flowers on anything edible you always do your research first!
Lemon Curd Recipes;
For this lemon drop cheesecake, I made the lemon curd topping using Ina Garten’s recipe (shout out to Ina) which can be found HERE.
However, I also have a recipe on my blog for lemon curd which is as equally delicious as Ina’s (yes, I did just go there), and can be found HERE.
Can store-bought lemon curd be used?
If you prefer to use store-bought lemon curd, by all means, do.
The only thing I might suggest is that you add some fresh lemon zest to the store-bought variety to pump up the lemon flavor, and if needed (but totally optional) add a drop or two of yellow food color to intensify the color.
The ingredients I used to make this Lovely Lemon Drop Cheesecake are as follows;
- fresh lemons (zest and juice)
- granulated sugar (supplied to me by Dixie Crystals Sugar who is one of the sponsors of #SummerDessertWeek and a participant in our giveaway)
- Greek yogurt
- cream cheese
- lemon drop candy
- store-bought pecan Sandies cookies
- pure vanilla extract
- fresh (non-poisonous) flowers (optional).
The only other things you’ll need are a 9-inch springform pan, a few bowls, a hand mixer and a little over an hours worth of time, but most of that is spent waiting for the cheesecake to bake in the oven.
*Disclaimer – This post and recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.
The easy instructions to make lemon curd;
- To make the lemon curd, remove the zest (yellow part only) from 3 lemons into a food processor.
- Process until finely minced.
- Reserve about 2 tablespoons on the zest and set aside.
- Add granulated sugar to the lemon zest and pulse again until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- In a medium bowl, juice the lemons to supply a ½ cup of fresh juice.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream together softened butter and the lemon zest and sugar mixture.
- Add beat eggs into the butter-sugar mixture (one at a time) until thoroughly combined.
- Add the fresh lemon juice and a pinch of salt to the lemon, sugar and egg mixture.
- Pour the entire mixture into a medium saucepan.
- Heat the lemon curd over medium/low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. *Note – this will take approximately 15 minutes.
- Allow the lemon curd to cool slightly and then strain it into a medium bowl.
- Store until the lemon curd in the refrigerator until it’s time to top the cheesecake. *Note – the lemon curd will thicken as it cools.
To instructions to make the lemon cheesecake;
- Pulse the Pecan Sandies cookies in a food processor to form crumbs.
- Add melted butter and pulse again to form a consistency of wet sand.
- Press the prepared cookie crumbs into the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan that has been sprayed with baking spray.
- Bake the crust in a preheated 325-degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove, and cool while you prepare the filling.
- While the crust bakes, crush lemon drop candies to supply approximately ½ cup of crushed candy pieces.
- Set aside the crushed candy. In a large bowl, blend 4 packages of room temperature cream cheese until soft.
- Add in the Greek yogurt, and 4 eggs, beating after each addition.
- Stir in the 2 tablespoons of reserved lemon zest (from making the lemon curd).
- Add the vanilla extract, and the crushed lemon drops candy. Stir well to combine.
- Pour the cheesecake batter evenly into the prepared springform pan that has been placed on a baking sheet.
- Bake the cheesecake in a preheated 325-degree oven for approximately 60 minutes (or until the center is almost set, but still slightly jiggly.)
- Turn the oven off and allow the cheesecake to cool in the oven with the door ajar for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool 30 more minutes on a baking rack before running a spatula around the rim of the pan to loosen the cake.
- Remove the cake collar and allow the cheesecake to cool completely before adding the lemon curd topping.
- Once the cheesecake has cooled completely spoon the chilled lemon curd topping over the cheesecake
- *Note – the lemon curd topping will nicely cover any cracks that have formed on the top of the cheesecake, and garnish the top of the cake with any sort of non-poisonous flower that you like.
- Chill if desired, but cheesecake is best served at room temperature. In my opinion. 🙂
**The following affiliate links are some suggested products I’ve chosen that will aid you in the making and serving of this recipe for Lovely Lemon Cheesecake if desired. Plus I’ve added some additional items that are meant to give you a giggle because it’s fun to shop! 😉
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Lemon Cheesecake with Lemon Curd Topping.
If you enjoy this recipe and are anxious to give it a try, I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give this recipe some feedback by way of stars. Thank you so very much! 🙂
If you'd like to surprise your family and friends with a showstopper dessert, then this Lovely Lemon Drop Cheesecake with Lemon Curd Topping is just the ticket!
- 3-4 lemons zested and juiced (reserve 2 tablespoons of the zest for the filling)
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 stick butter softened
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup lemon juice, fresh
- pinch salt
- 12-14 Pecan Sandies cookies
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 4 8 ounce blocks cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest fresh
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cups crushed lemon drop candy, approximately 1 cup of lemon drop candies
- pinch salt
Use a vegetable peeler to remove the zest from the lemons. Finely mince the zest in a food processor. Add the granulated sugar to the zest and pulse to combine. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the zest and sugar mixture, and set aside.
In a medium bowl, cream the butter and sugar/lemon zest mixture. Beat in the eggs, one at a time and then add the lemon juice and salt. Mix to combine.
Pour the lemon mixture into a medium saucepan can cook over medium/low heat until thickened, stirring constantly (approximately 10-15 minutes).
Remove the curd from the heat and cool slightly before straining it into a medium bowl.
Once strained, cover the curd with plastic wrap and chill while you prepare the cheesecake. *Note - the curd will thicken further as it chills.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Spray a 9" springform pan liberally with baking spray.
Use the food processor to pulse the cookies to form fine crumbs.
Pulse in the sugar, and the melted butter.
Continue pulsing until the mixture resembles wet sand.
Press the cookie crumbs evenly and firmly in the bottom of the prepared springform pan.
Bake the cookie crust in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove and cool.
In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to blend the softened cream cheese with the Greek yogurt.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
Beat in the eggs one at a time blending well after each addition.
Add the reserved lemon zest, vanilla extract and crush lemon drop candy to the cream cheese mixture, and stir well to combine.
Place the cookie crust in the springform pan on a baking sheet.
Pour the cream cheese mixture evenly into the springform pan and bake the cheesecake in the preheated oven for 60 minutes, or until the cheesecake is only slightly jiggly in the center.
Turn off the oven and allow the cheesecake to stay in the oven with the door ajar for 30 minutes.
Remove the cheesecake to a cooling rack and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Run a knife or spatula around the outer rim of the springform pan, open the collar of the pan and gently remove.
Allow the cheesecake to cool completely before adding the lemon curd and flowers.
Once the cheesecake is completely cool (you may refrigerate if desired), fill in any cracks on the top of the cheesecake with the lemon curd, and then spoon additional lemon curd evenly over the top of the cheesecake and garnish with non-poisonous flowers if desired.
Chill the cheesecake if desired but allow it to come to room temperature before slicing and serving.
Tools and equipment:
vegetable peeler, food processor, large and medium bowls, citrus juicer, spatula, strainer, whisk, ziplock bag (for crushing candy), rolling pin or mallet (for crushing candy), medium saucepan, hand mixer, springform pan (9-inch), baking spray, cake plate or cake dome, plastic wrap
I hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe for Lovely Lemon Cheesecake with Lemon Curd Topping for #SummerDessertWeek as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you. I’m participating in #SummerDessertWeek three days this week.
The first recipe I shared for this year’s #SummerDessertWeek was this one for No Churn Banana Walnut Ice Cream. This Lovely Lemon Cheesecake with Lemon Curd Topping is my second recipe, and I have a third recipe coming up on Thursday, July 27th which is for my Triple Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream with Kahlua, which features some of the best cherries from the Rainier Fruit Company (another one of our fine sponsors).
And now, without further ado, please click on the below recipe titles to find out what all the other #SummerDessertWeek food bloggers are dishing up, and while you’re scrolling, don’t forget to enter the fun giveaway down below that we’re offering with wonderful products supplied from our sponsors.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Ice Cream Recipes:
Pies of Summer:
- Mini Blueberry Pie from Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Pie from Daily Dish Recipes
Sweet Summertime Cakes:
- Cookies & Cream Mini Bundt Cakes from Me and My Pink Mixer
- Chocolate Malted Milkshake Cake from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
- Layered Strawberry Shortcake from Southern From Scratch
No Bake Treats:
- Blueberry Cheesecake Chimichangas from Home Sweet Homestead
- Lemon Cheesecake with Lemon Curd Topping from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Caramel Heath Ricotta Cheesecake Bars from The Whimsy One
- Banana Pudding Cake from A Blender Mom
- Blueberry French Toast Shortcakes from For the Love of Food
- Apple Dumplings from Jen Around the World
- Cinnamon Sugar Blueberry Banana Bread from The Spiffy Cookie
- Blueberry Cobbler from Bowl Me Over
Welcome to the first #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife. We’re so glad that you’ve joined us for this week-long event of desserts and giveaways. You’re going to love what we have in store for you.
There are 25 amazing bloggers participating in this year’s event! Throughout the week we’ll be share tons of fantastic summer dessert recipes with you. With over 70 recipes being shared this week we just know that you’re going to find a new summer favorite! Plus, don’t forget that we have 6 (six) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving one winner a $100 Willimas Sonoma Gift Card OR a $100 Sur la Table! Winner of prize #1 gets to pick which gift card they would like!
Prize #2 — Rainier Fruit is giving one winner a Pie dish, Cherry Pitter, Serving Spatula, Pinch Bowls, Pie Carrier! Everything you need to make the perfect cherry or blueberry pie!
Prize #3– OXO is giving one winner an 8 Piece Glass Bake, Serve & Store Set.
OXO Glass Bakeware is made of thermal shock resistant borosilicate glass, which means it can go from freezer to oven without the need to thaw. The OXO 8 Piece Glass Bake, Serve & Store Set is the perfect partner for all of your baking adventures. The Set includes a Glass 3 Qt Baking Dish, Glass 2 Qt Baking Dish, Glass Loaf Pan, Glass Pie Plate, 1 Cup Round SNAP Container, and 2 Cup Round SNAP Container.
Prize #4 — Adam’s Extract is giving one winner a Pyrex with baking utensils and 4oz Adams Best, 1.5 oz Pure Lemon, Almond, Peppermint and Vanilla.
Prize #5 — General Mills Cereal is giving one winner 4 boxes of cereal, 2 Big G Cereal character bowls, 2 Big G Cereal character, 2 “Good Morning” spoons, 2 Cheerios tumblers with straws 1 long-sleeve Cereal Character hooded t-shirt, 1 short-sleeve Cereal Character t-shirt.
Prize #6 — Land O’Lakes is giving one winner a branded insulated tote with a stainless steel water bottle, two mugs with cocoa mix, a dish towel and coasters.
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 24th until July 30th at 12AMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 6 (six) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 6 (six) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Rainier Fruit, OXO, Adam’s Extract, Land O’Lakes and General Mills Cereal! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
I sincerely hope you’ve enjoyed this recipe for Lovely Lemon Drop Cheesecake with Lemon Curd Topping as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you.
Should you have any questions or comments regarding this recipe or anything else you’ve seen on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly, or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware or fabric items, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note – The post above includes affiliate links. When I find a great product or service, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn a commission for my recommendations. As always, I thank you for your support!