My mission, should I choose to accept, was to make a burger using the secret ingredients; lemon, spinach, cream, and radishes. The result is this Beef Burger with Creamy Lemon Spinach and Fried Radish Chips. What would you have made?
If you love burgers with unusual toppings this is the burger for you! Eat this burger with a bun, or without, the choice is yours.
The ingredient list:
- ground beef (I use an 80/20 blend)
- fresh baby spinach
- heavy cream
- freshly grated nutmeg
- avocado oil
- cheese slices (I used a Pepper Jack)
- bun (optional)
- lettuce (optional)
- salt and pepper
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- mandolin slicer (for the radish chips)
- large skillet with a lid
- measuring cups and spoons
- mixing bowls
- slotted spoon
- wooden spoon
- grill pan (for cooking indoors)
- grill (for outdoor cooking)
Why this recipe works:
While this may not necessarily be what you think of when you think of a burger (where's the bun, right?), don't let that fool you into thinking that this Beef Burger with Creamy Lemon Spinach and Fried Radish Chips doesn't have great taste! It 100% does!!
This TOTALLY ROCKED my burger-loving world (even without the bun), and the fried radish chips TOTALLY ROCKED my husband's "I miss potato chips-world!" Since we've been eating a low-carb diet, potato chips and burger buns are a no-no.
How this recipe came to be (excerpt from 2018):
The new Burger of the Month Club I've joined is like a "chopped challenge" except there is none of that pesky pressure, and nobody gets "chopped." It's all about having fun with each month's secret ingredients and seeing how creative you can be whipping up a burger creation.
What is the best way to ensure evenly shaped, tender, juicy burgers?
Over the years, I've become a complete minimalist when it comes to making my beef burgers. I shape my patties with only ground meat and season them liberally (on the outside only) with salt and pepper right before they go on the grill. That's it. Nothing fancy and nothing added to the beef ahead of time.
- Slice radishes as thinly as possible and dry them on paper towels.
- Heat avocado oil over medium/high heat until the oil shimmers.
- Carefully add the sliced radishes to the oil (in batches), stirring frequently until they brown.
- Remove the radish chips with a slotted spoon to a paper towel to drain. Continue with the remaining radish chips (if needed).
- Add the fresh spinach leaves to the same skillet with the remaining oil, along with some butter.
- Season the spinach with salt and pepper and stir occasionally until the spinach wilts down.
- Add chopped garlic and heavy cream to the pan. Reduce the heat to medium/low.
- Add fresh lemon zest to the skillet along with grated fresh nutmeg. Stir occasionally for approximately 2-3 minutes. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, grill the burgers to your desired doneness.
- To serve, top each burger with a slice of cheese of your choice, the creamy lemon spinach and a mound of radish chips.
- Serve on a bun, or with lettuce if eating low-carb.
Additional ground beef recipes:
- Easy Cheesy Patty Melt Dip
- Spaghetti Stuffed Meatloaf
- Slow Cooker Chili Mac
- Tex-Mex Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
Beef Burgers with Creamy Lemon Spinach and Fried Radish Chips
- paper towels
- 1½ pounds ground beef, 80/20 blend, suggested
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes, patted dry with a paper towels
- ⅓ cup avocado oil, or other light oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- pinch freshly grated nutmeg, or to taste
- 4 hamburger buns, optional
- lettuce leaves, optional
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat. The oil is ready when it lightly shimmers.
- Carefully add half of the dried radish slices to the oil, stirring them occasionally until they're browned.
- Remove the radishes from the oil using a slotted spoon and drain them on paper towels. Continue the same process with the remaining sliced radishes. Set aside.
- Form the ground beef into 4 patties. Season them liberally with salt and pepper.
- Cook the patties to your desired doneness and top with your favorite cheese, if desired.
- While the burgers are cooking, add the butter to the same skillet large skillet with the remaining oil from the radishes. Add the spinach and cook, over medium heat, stirring until the spinach wilts down. Approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cream, lemon juice, nutmeg, and lemon zest to the spinach.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook an additional 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Top each burger with the creamy lemon spinach and some of the fried radish chips. Serve and enjoy.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for Beef Burger with Creamy Lemon Spinach & Fried Radish Chips, as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you.
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!