Today I'm sharing with you my amazing recipe for Sauteed Red Cabbage With Bacon And Brown Sugar which is one of my family's favorite German side dishes.
Honestly, I'm not sure why this cruciferous vegetable is called "red" cabbage when, clearly it's purple (and don't get me started on red onions) but, that's all besides the point!
Be warned, this dish doesn't photograph well, AT ALL, but the taste will knock your lederhosen off!!!
Printable Recipe Card
Sauteed Red Cabbage with Bacon and Brown Sugar
- 1 medium red cabbage cored and sliced
- ½ pound bacon cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup brown sugar loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until almost crisp. Drain off some of the grease but leave about 2 tablespoons in the pan.
- Add in all of the sliced cabbage, butter, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Stir well and reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and the balsamic vinegar.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally for an additional 20-25 minutes until the cabbage is completely cooked down, softened and reduced in volume by about half.
- Serve and enjoy!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!