Sometimes the best recipes come out of necessity. So is the case with this Salsa BBQ Sauce. It was an experiment that went wonderfully right, and the results are utterly delicious!
Store-bought salsa was the stand-in ingredient when I realized I didn't have enough ketchup to make a homemade BBQ sauce.
- The ingredient list:
- Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- How long does it take to make homemade bbq sauce?
- How long will salsa bbq sauce keep in the refrigerator?
- Can other kinds of vinegar be used in place of the apple cider vinegar?
- Can this sauce be frozen?
- How much homemade BBQ sauce will the recipe make?
- Homemade salsa BBQ sauce will go great on the following:
- The easy instructions for making salsa BBQ sauce:
- Here's a tip for getting every last bit of salsa out of the jar...
- Additional homemade sauce recipes
- Printable Recipe Card
- Salsa BBQ Sauce
The ingredient list:
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- store-bought salsa (your favorite variety)
- apple cider vinegar
- pineapple juice
- brown sugar
- Worchestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- smoked paprika
- ground coriander
- garlic powder
- red pepper flakes
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- wooden spoon or spatula
- measuring cups and spoons
- mason jar or jar with a tight-fitting lid
How long does it take to make homemade bbq sauce?
From start to finish this sauce will take approximately 30 minutes.
With occasional stirring, as the sauce slowly simmers on medium-low heat it will reduce and thicken.
How long will salsa bbq sauce keep in the refrigerator?
Store your sauce in an airtight container with a tight-fitting lid (mason jars are excellent for storing homemade BBQ sauce), and it will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
Can other kinds of vinegar be used in place of the apple cider vinegar?
Yes! Use whatever type of vinegar is your favorite.
Apple cider vinegar is my go-to vinegar, and I always have it in my pantry.
That said, a balsamic vinegar would add an extra touch of sweetness to this sauce, and red wine or white vinegar would add some extra tang.
Can this sauce be frozen?
Cool the sauce completely before adding it to a freezer-safe container.
Salsa BBQ sauce can be frozen for up to 3 months and is best thawed in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours.
How much homemade BBQ sauce will the recipe make?
As written, this recipe will make approximately 3 cups of salsa bbq sauce.
If needed, this sauce can recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
Homemade salsa BBQ sauce will go great on the following:
- beef burgers
- turkey burgers
- pork chops
- pork roast
- just about anything you can think of
For delicious sides to serve at your next BBQ or party check, out this AMAZING BBQ SIDE DISHES RECIPE ROUNDUP. There are more bbq side dish recipes and ideas in this post than you can shake a stick at.
The easy instructions for making salsa BBQ sauce:
- Add the salsa to a saucepan.
- Pour the pineapple juice into the empty salsa jar to get out all the final bits. Shake well.
- Pour the pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar, and molasses into the saucepan.
- Set the heat to medium-low.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, ground coriander, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use immediately, or cool and store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container with a tight-fitting lid.
Here's a tip for getting every last bit of salsa out of the jar...
Add the pineapple juice directly to the empty salsa jar. Replace the lid back onto the salsa jar and shake, shake, shake.
Pour the contents of the jar into the salsa bbq saucepan viola, every last drop of salsa is cleanly out of the jar!
Additional homemade sauce recipes
The ease and convenience of store-bought marinara sauce may be hard to beat, but with only 30 minutes you can make this Easy Classic Marinara Sauce that contains no added sugar or preservatives, and it’s overflowing with love, unlike those jarred sauces.
Homemade Dill Tartar Sauce has been a family favorite of ours for years and years, and if that's not enough, it's ready in 5 minutes or less! Grab your spoon! You're going to love using this creamy seafood condiment on SO many things!!
Strawberry Sriracha BBQ Sauce is fruity with a touch of heat. It’s perfect for pork, chicken, and even fish.
Upgrade your hollandaise sauce experience with this easy to make thick and Creamy Avocado Hollandaise Sauce. Your taste buds will thank you!
When you make this recipe (and I hope that you will), I'd appreciate it if you'd take the time to come back and give it a star rating along with a comment on why you rated as you did. Google appreciates ratings on recipes and, in turn, will show my recipes to more people. Thank you!!
Printable Recipe Card
Salsa BBQ Sauce
- 2 cups jarred salsa
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Add all the ingredients into a saucepan and heat, uncovered, over medium-low for approximately 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reduces and thickens.
- Use immediately or add the sauce to a container with a tight-fitting lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's homemade sauce recipe for all your barbequing needs, as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you will come back and visit me often. Please know that there is always room for you around my kitchen table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen on my site, please don't hesitate to reach out to contact me. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back with you just as soon as I possibly can!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!