Prepare yourself for one of the most delicious oven-braised boneless short rib meals you'll ever have. These buttery, bacony beef ribs will literally melt in your mouth, and make you swoon with delight! You have my word on it!
When I want to impress guests and pull out all the stops to make a memorable meal, this is the recipe I go to.
Braising Boneless Beef Ribs in the oven takes a few initial minutes to prepare but after that, the oven does all the work while you go about your day making it the perfect dish for entertaining.
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Oven Braised Boneless Short Ribs is available near the end of this post.
The ingredient list;
- Boneless Beef Short Ribs
- Avocado Oil (or your favorite light colored oil)
- Red Wine
- Beef Stock or Broth
- Prepared Horseradish
- Bay Leaves
- Salt and Pepper
What exactly is braising?
- Braising is simply cooking meat low and slow (on the stovetop or in the oven), in a covered pan in some sort of cooking liquid.
What is the key to getting the most flavor from braising?
- Browning the protein (in this case, the beef short ribs) first is always the best tip I can give when it comes to a flavorful braise.
- When a protein is well browned, it creates caramelization on the outside of the meat which will deepen and intensify the flavor of the entire completed braised dish.
- The braising liquid used is extremely important for building up the most flavor in a braise.
- Make sure to choose full flavored liquids (stocks and broths as opposed to water) with plenty of depth, and good quality wine, because the braising liquid will permeate the meat as it cooks, making it extra tender and delicious.
- Scraping up the browned bits (known as the fond) from the bottom of the pan from caramelizing the meat, and as you add a little of the braising liquid to the pot, is an excellent way to add more flavor to the braise.
- Once all the fond is fully incorporated into the braising liquid, you can rest assured that your completed dish will be packed with the most incredible, deep, rich flavor which will only intensify as it finishes cooking!
What are some good substitutions for avocado oil?
- Not everyone has avocado oil in their pantry, and not everyone can easily find avocado oil in their marketplace.
- That said, any light colored oil such as grapeseed oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, peanut oil will work well.
- Since a light colored oil has a higher smoke point than darker oils, they're better for high-temperature searing.
Here's another method for making braised short ribs from one of my favorite celebrity chefs, Wolfgang Puck;
Serving suggestions for braised short ribs?
- The night I made these Oven Braised Beef Short Ribs with Bacon and Red Wine we had company over so I made an extra big pot of short ribs. I served them over creamy mashed potatoes which I also added a touch of horseradish to. YUMMY!
- You can also serve them over polenta, egg noodles, baked potatoes, quinoa, spaghetti squash, rice...As you can see, the serving suggestions are limitless.
- Also, leave the knives in the drawer because you certainly won't need one!!
For side dish recipes that will perfectly compliment these oven-braised short ribs, please click on the following titles for;
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes from The Stay at Home Chef
- Crispy Cheesy Roasted Broccoli from The Chunky Chef
- Roasted Baby Potatoes with Garlic and Fresh Herbs
- Celery Root Mashed Potatoes
- Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Sweet and Spicy Candied Bacon
- Roasted Parsnips and Carrots with Cardamom and Maple Syrup (pictured below)
**The following affiliate links are some suggested products I’ve chosen that will aid you in the making and serving of this recipe for Braised Beef Short Ribs if desired. Plus some additional items that are meant to give you a giggle because it's fun to shop! 😉
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s braised short ribs in the oven recipe.
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
**NOTE - this recipe feeds 6-8 people very comfortably. Please feel free to divide this recipe, and it's ingredients, by half if needed. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Oven Braised Beef Short Ribs
- 4 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or other light colored oil
- ¼ pound bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups beef stock or broth low-sodium or no sodium
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 large bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup red wine not cooking wine
- Preheat oven to 300-degrees.
- Season the short ribs on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Working in batches (if needed) brown the short ribs well on both sides in the avocado oil over medium/high heat. Remove the meat to a plate after browning.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the chopped onion and bacon to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, while the onion softens and the bacon cooks.
- Scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot while cooking the bacon and onion. If needed, add a splash of beef broth to help loosen the bits.
- Add the short ribs and the bay leaves into the pot along with any accumulated meat juices leftover on the plate from browning the short ribs.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the beef broth, horseradish, ketchup, and garlic.
- Reduce the heat to low, and pour in the beef stock braising liquid along with the red wine.
- Cover the pot and place into a preheated oven to braise for 4 hours.
- remove the pot from the oven. Taste the sauce, and season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve the short ribs over mashed potatoes, noodles, rice, or polenta. Spoon the juice over the meat, and enjoy!
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for beef short ribs braised in the oven as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Should you have any questions regarding this post or anything else you've seen on my site, please don't hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is always my distinct pleasure to get back to you with a reply just as soon as I possibly can!
For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, and/or my hand painted glassware or fabric items, please follow me on;
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Cooking up artistically delicious family-friendly dishes from my Kudos Kitchen to yours!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!
**Note - The post above includes affiliate links. When I find a great product or service, I like to share it with my readers. Sometimes I use affiliate links so I can earn a commission for my recommendations. As always, I thank you for your support!