Healthy Homemade Chicken Barley Soup is a light and delicious slow cooker soup that is easy to assemble in the morning, and then have a hearty, healthy family dinner at the end of a long winter's day.
With only six ingredients (not including water, salt, and pepper), most of which you most likely already have in your pantry and fridge, this Healthy Homemade Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Soup is wonderful comfort food you'll want to make for your family all winter long!
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Healthy Chicken Barley Soup for the Slow Cooker is available near the end of this post.
The ingredient list:
- Chicken Thighs
- Chicken or turkey broth
- Salt and Pepper
If this doesn't look warm, comforting, and filling, then I don't know what does...
I didn't add any additional spices or seasoning to my soup because I wanted to keep it simple. However, feel free to play with herbs if you'd like to up the flavor profile.
A bay leave would be lovely to add at the beginning of cooking (remember to take it out before serving), or maybe add a bit of thyme or a tiny bit of rosemary.
Of course, a little bit of fresh chopped parsley is always good right before serving. Since it's your soup, feel free to add the flavors you enjoy. I encourage you to have fun in the kitchen, and not to feel like you have to stick to a recipe 100% of the time.
The easy instructions;
- Dice 1½ cups red onion, 1 cup carrots, and 1 cup celery.
- Add the diced vegetables into a 7-quart slow cooker.
- Stir 1½ pounds of diced boneless, skinless chicken thighs into the cooker with the vegetables.
- Season with 3 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Stir well to combine.
- Add 1 quart of chicken or turkey stock to the cooker along with 2 cups water.
- Stir in 1½ cups of pearl barley.
- Cover the cooker and cook on medium for 8 hours, or 5 hours on high.
- Stir well again before serving.
- Serve hot.
For making this soup, you can use store-bought chicken or turkey stock, or you can use homemade. If you're looking for a delicious and easy recipe for making homemade chicken stock (pictured below), you can check out my recipe by clicking HERE.
Below is the printable recipe card for today’s Healthy Homemade Chicken Barley Soup for the Slow Cooker. If you’ve enjoyed this recipe and look forward to making it (or have already made it), I’d appreciate if you’d take a moment to give it some feedback by way of stars near the comment section at the end of this post. Thank you so much!
Printable Recipe Card
Chicken Barley Soup for the Slow Cooker
- 1½ cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1½ pounds chicken thighs boneless, skinless, diced
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 quart chicken or turkey stock
- 2 cups water
- 1½ cups pearl barley
- Place all ingredients into a 7-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on medium for 8 hours, or high for 5 hours.
- Stir well and serve hot.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for Healthy Chicken Barley Soup for the Slow Cooker as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Kudos Kitchen by Renee – Where I joyously bring you easy, economical, and delicious comfort food dishes to feed the people you love!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!