This sophisticated Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Caramelized Apple is a little sweet, a little savory, and a whole lot of good!
Sometimes you want a lighter meal but one that still packs a punch of flavor and crunch!
Enter *stage left* Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwich with Caramelized Apple and take your much-deserved bow!
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making a grilled cheese sandwich with caramelized apple is available at the end of this post. OR click on the "jump to recipe" tab below and be taken directly to the recipe.
The ingredients needed;
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- Sourdough Bread
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese Slices
- Granny Smith Apple
- Real Maple Syrup
Kitchen tools and equipment needed;
- Large Skillet
- Spatula or Slotted Turner
- Apple Peeler (optional)
- Chef's Knife
- Cutting Board
- Sandwich Grill Press (optional)
Can this grilled cheddar and apple sandwich be made in a panini press?
The only thing you'll want to do is to caramelize the apple slices in a skillet first using the butter and maple syrup.
After that, you can finish off the sandwich by cooking it in a panini press and until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden and crispy.
Why this combination of flavors works.
The buttered grilled sourdough bread has just the right amount of crunch and richness to sandwich together with the melted sharp cheddar cheese and the sweet and tangy caramelized apples.
How many sandwiches will this recipe make, and how long from start to finish?
The recipe I've written will make 2 sandwiches.
For additional sandwiches, please increase the ingredients accordingly.
From start to finish, this recipe will take approximately 7-10 minutes.
Additional sandwich add-in suggestions;
- Cooked Bacon
- Sliced Pears
- Dried Cranberries
- Cooked Butternut Squash
- Sliced Ham
- Sliced Turkey
- Sliced Roast Beef
- Caramelized Onions
- Crispy Fried Onions
I don't know of anyone who doesn't enjoy a good grilled cheese sandwich from time to time.
They don't have to be fancy, either. Plain old white bread with American cheese slices will do nicely when you're in the mood for traditional comfort food that can bring you back to your childhood.
However, when you want to step up your grilled cheese game, please click on the following titles for these "grown-up" grilled cheese sandwiches;
- Grilled Cheese Breakfast Sandwich with Provolone and Asparagus (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
"If you’re looking for a deliciously unique sandwich that will knock your socks off, look no further than this Grilled Cheese Breakfast Sandwich made with a fried egg, fresh asparagus, provolone cheese, and a cornflake coating that you didn’t see coming."
- Pepper Jack Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Strawberry Hot Sauce and Arugula from Fearless Dining
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
"Sometimes necessity is the mother of great recipe inventions. Such is the case with this Ultimate Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Turkey deli meat, smoked cheddar cheese, red bell pepper, and caramelized onions come together in an air fryer grilled cheese sandwich like no other. If you’re anything like me, you are going to love it!!"
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Apple Butter from That Susan Williams
- Prosciutto, Melon, and Provolone Grilled Cheese Sandwich (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
"Grilled to ooey, gooey perfection. A Prosciutto, Melon & Provolone Grilled Cheese Sandwich will stretch your imagination for what a grilled cheese can (and should) be. Think out of the grilled cheese box and try one. You’ll be amazed and delighted with its sweet and savory taste!"
- Grilled Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Pesto and Arugula from Erhardt's Eat
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Caramelized Apples (pictured below) This is the place!
Whether you’re working on a blue screen, or in the kitchen, the following affiliate products are ones I can highly recommend;
Below is the printable recipe card along with the nutritional information and instructions for making for today’s sophisticated grilled cheese sandwich with caramelized apple.
Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Apple
- 4 slices sourdough bread thickly sliced (approximately ½")
- 8 ounces (approximately 8 slices) cheddar cheese slices
- 1 Granny Smith apple thinly sliced (skin removed if desired)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons butter softened (or more, if desired)
- Add approximately 2 tablespoons butter to a small skillet.
- Add the apple slices and cook over medium-high heat, until deeply browned.
- Flip the apples and drizzle them with the maple syrup. Allow the apples to brown on the second side.
- Remove the caramelized apples from the skillet and wipe the skillet clean.
- Butter 1 side of each slice of sourdough bread.
- Place the sourdough bread, butter side down, in a heated skillet.
- Top the bread with 1 slice of cheese, some of the caramelized apple slices, another slice of cheese and a slice of the sourdough, butter side up.
- Cook over medium-high heat until browned.
- Flip, and cook the other side of the sandwich until browned.
- Remove from the skillet and serve immediately.
I hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for a Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwich with Caramelized Apple as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you.
**Note - The post above includes affiliate links. As always, I truly thank you for your support!