This sophisticated Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwich with Caramelized Apple is a little sweet, a little savory, and a whole lot of good!
Sometimes you want a lighter meal but one that still packs a punch of flavor and crunch! Enter the Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwich with Caramelized Apple. The buttered grilled sourdough bread is just the right touch (and crunch) to sandwich together the melted cheddar cheese and the sweet and tangy caramelized apples. Be still my grilled cheese loving heart!!
So simple to make. So few ingredients. To make a Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwich with Caramelized Apples, you’ll need sourdough bread slices, the good kind, the kind with plenty of texture and holes. The kind of sourdough bread you can buy in the bakery department of the grocery store. You’ll also need slices of cheddar cheese. I like a strongly flavored cheddar cheese, but mild will also work. And you’ll need a few thin slices of a sweet and tangy apple. I like a Granny Smith apple for its tart flavor. Maple Syrup is my trick for caramelizing the apple slices and make them sweet, and tangy! And lastly, you’ll need butter. Lots of sweet, creamy (I prefer salted) BUTTER!!!
After you’ve assembled your ingredients, the only other things you’ll need for making Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwich with Caramelized Apple is a skillet, spatula, butter knife, chef’s knife (for slicing the apple), serrated knife (for slicing the sourdough bread), and a cutting board.
We are now ready to begin making a Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwich with Caramelized Apple! Let’s get cooking!!
For fun (and to whet your appetite), I’ve made a quick 30-second video of this recipe. I hope you enjoy watching it!
The recipe I’ve written will make 2 sandwiches. For additional sandwiches, please increase the ingredients accordingly.
- 4 slices sourdough bread, thickly sliced (approximately ½")
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced (skin removed, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened (or more, if desired)
- Add approximately 2 tablespoons butter to a small skillet.
- Add the apple slices and cook over medium-high heat, until deeply browned.
- Flip the apples and drizzle them with the maple syrup. Allow the apples to brown on the second side.
- Remove the caramelized apples from the skillet and wipe the skillet clean.
- Butter 1 side of each slice of sourdough bread.
- Place the sourdough bread, butter side down, in a heated skillet.
- Top the bread with 1 slice of cheese, some of the caramelized apple slices, another slice of cheese and a slice of the sourdough, butter side up.
- Cook over medium-high heat until browned.
- Flip, and cook the other side of the sandwich until browned.
- Remove from the skillet and serve immediately.
Small or medium skillet
vegetable peeler (if desired)
tongs (if desired)
I don’t know of anyone who doesn’t enjoy a good grilled cheese sandwich from time to time. They don’t have to be fancy to be good, either. Plain old white bread with American cheese slices will do the job when you’re hankerin’ for one. However, when you want to step up your grilled cheese game, please check out these other grilled cheese sandwich recipes I’ve shared in the past. By clicking on the titles, you’ll be taken directly to that particular recipe and its instructions.
I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s recipe for a Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwich with Caramelized Apple as much as I’ve enjoyed bringing it to you. Should you have any questions regarding this recipe, or anything else you see on my site, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly or leave me a comment in the comment section below. It is my great pleasure to get back to you as quickly as possible with my reply.
Thank you for visiting today. For additional information regarding my Kudos Kitchen recipes, or my hand painted glassware and/or fabric items, please visit me on my social media:
Kudos Kitchen by Renée ~ Where food, art, and fun collide each and every day!
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!