Turkey deli meat, smoked cheddar cheese, red bell pepper, and caramelized onions come together in an ultimate grilled cheese sandwich like no other. If you're anything like me, you are going to love it!!
This ultimate grilled cheese sandwich recipe can also be made traditionally in a skillet, so don't let it hold you back if you don't have an air fryer.
You need this sandwich in your life, so however you can make that happen is the right way to go!
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making The Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich is available at the end of this post. OR click on the "jump to recipe" text (found below) to be taken directly to the recipe.Jump to Recipe
The ingredient list:
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- Bread (your favorite grilled cheese sandwich variety)
- Turkey Deli Meat
- Red Bell Pepper
- Smoked Cheddar Cheese, Slices
- Caramelized Onions
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
Additional add-in suggestions:
- Pulled Pork
- Shredded Chicken
- Green Bell Peppers
- Swiss Cheese
- Provolone Cheese
- Gouda Cheese
- American Cheese
- Apple Slices
- What's in YOUR fridge? 😉
Can this ultimate grilled cheese be made in a skillet instead of an air fryer?
Assemble the sandwich just as shown.
Then heat a skillet over medium/high heat and cook the grilled cheese sandwich on both sides until it's golden brown and the cheese is melted.
How long does it take to caramelize onions?
- In an air fryer, roughly 17-20 minutes.
- In a skillet on the stovetop, roughly 30-40 minutes.
[mv_create title="Other tasty recipes featuring caramelized onions (aka French onions)" key="13" type="list" layout="circles"]
How to caramelize onions in an air fryer:
Sometimes necessity is the mother of great recipe inventions. Such is the case with this Ultimate grilled cheese sandwich.
Use what you have leftover in the fridge and see what great combos you can come up with! It's all good!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the nutritional information for today’s easy grilled cheese sandwich.
Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices sandwich bread your favorite variety
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 8 slices smoked cheddar cheese
- 4 slices deli turkey meat
- ½ red bell pepper seeded and cut into narrow strips
- ⅓ cup caramelized onions
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Lay two slices of bread, butter side down.
- Add two slices of cheese on top of each slice of bread and follow with the sliced turkey, red pepper strips, and caramelized onions. Top with the remaining cheese and the final slice of bread, butter side up.
- Place (one sandwich at a time) in the fryer basket of an air fryer and cook for 5 minutes at 350-degrees.
- Flip the sandwich. Increase the temperature to 400 and cook the sandwich for an additional 1-2 minutes until golden brown. If desired, flip the sandwich and cook again for an additional 1-2 minutes to brown both sides.
- Continue the same steps with the second sandwich.
- Serve and enjoy.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!