Turkey deli meat, smoked cheddar cheese, red bell pepper, and caramelized onions come together in an Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich like no other. If you're anything like me, you are going to love it!!
This ultimate grilled cheese sandwich recipe can also be made traditionally in a skillet, so don't let it hold you back if you don't have an air fryer.
You need this sandwich in your life, so however you can make that happen is the right way to go!
The ingredient list:
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- Bread (your favorite grilled cheese sandwich variety)
- Turkey Deli Meat
- Red Bell Pepper
- Smoked Cheddar Cheese, Slices
- Caramelized Onions
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
Additional add-in suggestions:
- Pulled Pork
- Shredded Chicken
- Green Bell Peppers
- Swiss Cheese
- Provolone Cheese
- Gouda Cheese
- American Cheese
- Apple Slices
- What's in YOUR fridge? 😉
Can this ultimate grilled cheese be made in a skillet instead of an air fryer?
Assemble the sandwich just as shown.
Then heat a skillet over medium/high heat and cook the grilled cheese sandwich on both sides until it's golden brown and the cheese is melted.
How long does it take to caramelize onions?
- In an air fryer, roughly 17-20 minutes.
- In a skillet on the stovetop, roughly 30-40 minutes.
How to caramelize onions in an air fryer:
Sometimes necessity is the mother of great recipe inventions. Such is the case with this Ultimate grilled cheese sandwich.
Use what you have leftover in the fridge and see what great combos you can come up with! It's all good!
Additional sandwich recipes:
Bookmark the following recipes and come back to make them time and time again...
In the blink of an eye, and in only the time takes to cook Italian sausages you can have a deliciously easy Caprese Sausage Sandwich for dinner tonight!
This Fried Eggplant Sandwich is seriously delicious. Golden brown fried eggplant slices are layered between toasted bread with lettuce, tomato, and sauteed green bell pepper. One bite and you'll be hooked. This sandwich is so, so good!!
This copycat German Knockwurst Sandwich is my version of a terrific sausage sandwich I'd had while on vacation in Northern Wisconsin.
A Bagel Tuna Melt is a delicious open-face sandwich with a slightly updated twist on a traditional tuna melt. You're going to want to make this deliciously melty tuna salad sandwich on a regular rotation. It's THAT good!!
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices sandwich bread your favorite variety
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 8 slices smoked cheddar cheese
- 4 slices deli turkey meat
- ½ red bell pepper seeded and cut into narrow strips
- ⅓ cup caramelized onions
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Lay two slices of bread, butter side down.
- Add two slices of cheese on top of each slice of bread and follow with the sliced turkey, red pepper strips, and caramelized onions. Top with the remaining cheese and the final slice of bread, butter side up.
- Place (one sandwich at a time) in the fryer basket of an air fryer and cook for 5 minutes at 350-degrees.
- Flip the sandwich. Increase the temperature to 400 and cook the sandwich for an additional 1-2 minutes until golden brown. If desired, flip the sandwich and cook again for an additional 1-2 minutes to brown both sides.
- Continue the same steps with the second sandwich.
- Serve and enjoy.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's recipe for the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!