When you're looking to ramp up your apple crisp game, look no further than this recipe for Fireball Apple Crisp. It's sure to become your flaming desire! 😉
This cinnamon spicy apple crisp is everything you love about a traditional apple crisp...but with a grown-up kick.
- The ingredient list:
- Kitchen tools and equipment:
- What are the best apples to use for making an apple crisp?
- Do the apples need to be peeled or can I leave the skin on?
- Can this fireball apple crisp be frozen?
- How to bake an apple crisp after freezing;
- Can the cinnamon whiskey be left out of this apple crisp?
- Not a fan of cinnamon red hots? Here are a few other candy substitutions you may also enjoy:
- How to make fireball apple crisp?
- Additional apple desserts:
- More recipes with a cinnamon kick:
- Printable Recipe Card
The ingredient list:
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- Honey Crisp Apples (or another firm, tart, and sweet apple)
- Raisins (optional)
- Fireball Whiskey (or another cinnamon-flavored whiskey)
- Ground Cinnamon
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Pure Vanilla Extract
- All-Purpose Flour
- Quick Cooking Oats
- Ground Nutmeg
- Red Hot Candy (optional)
Kitchen tools and equipment:
- 13" x 9" Baking Dish
- Baking Spray
- Apple Peeler
- Chef's Knife
- Cutting Board
- 2 Large Bowls
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Nutmeg Grater
- Pastry Blender (optional)
- Large Zip-Top Bag
- Rolling Pin or Meat Mallet (for crushing candy)
What are the best apples to use for making an apple crisp?
As I mentioned above, a firm, tart apple with a little sweetness (in my opinion) makes the best tasting crisp or cobbler. Also, a firmer apple also won't turn to mush while baking.
Apples such as Granny Smith, Fuji, Macintosh, Jonagold, Honeycrisp (shown in this recipe), Pink Lady, Gala, or Braeburn are all good picks.
Do the apples need to be peeled or can I leave the skin on?
Preferably, an apple's skin is always removed before baking or else it tends to get tough and leathery making the eating experience not nearly as enjoyable.
Can this fireball apple crisp be frozen?
Yes! And it's best to freeze the crisp BEFORE it's baked.
Once the crisp is fully assembled, cover the casserole dish well with a lid or several layers of plastic wrap, and freeze for up to 3 months.
How to bake an apple crisp after freezing;
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees.
- Remove the apple crisp from the freezer and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Place the apple crisp on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for approximately 90 minutes, or until the top is golden and apple juices start to exude from the top of the crisp.
- Remove, and serve hot or warm with ice cream, whipped cream, or plain.
Can the cinnamon whiskey be left out of this apple crisp?
By all means, if you're feeding children, or you'd rather not have the alcohol in the recipe, it's perfectly acceptable to leave the whiskey out of the dish!
Or, if you'd like to swap the cinnamon whiskey for another type of alcohol, why not experiment?
A peppermint schnapps for the holidays would be lovely, or maybe an Amaretto for year-round enjoyment.
The options are completely endless! I encourage you to get creative!!
Not a fan of cinnamon red hots? Here are a few other candy substitutions you may also enjoy:
- Sour Apple Candy (crushed)
- Jolly Rancher Hard Candy (crushed)
- Chocolate Covered Raisins
- Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans
- Toffee (crushed)
- Peppermint Candy or Candy Canes (crushed)
What are some of your apple crisp topping ideas? Please leave them in the comment section! I'd love to know. Thanks!! 🙂
How to make fireball apple crisp?
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Peel and uniformly chop 5-6 medium Honey Crisp apples.
- Place them in a large bowl
- Add raisins, cinnamon whiskey, brown sugar, pure vanilla extract, cinnamon, grated nutmeg, and a pinch of salt.
- Stir well.
- Add the prepared apples into a baking dish that has been sprayed with baking spray.
- Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, salt, brown sugar, granulated sugar, oats, grated nutmeg, cinnamon.
- Add the cold cubed butter and work the mixture together with your fingers, or a pastry blender, until coarse crumbs form.
- Crush the cinnamon candy in a large zip-top bag using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Stir the crushed candy into the crumb topping and evenly spread that over the prepared apples in the baking dish.
- Place the baking dish onto a baking sheet and place in the oven for 60 minutes, or until the top is golden and the apple juices start to bubble over.
- Remove, cool slightly.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped topping if desired.
Additional apple desserts:
- Apple Pie Wedges (pictured below and in the featured video) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
"You’re going to love how easy and delicious these apple pie wedges are to make…and eat. With store-bought or homemade pie crust, apple pie wedges are utterly delicious!!"
- One-Bowl Apple Cake from 2 Cookin' Mamas
- Apple Pie Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread from Chicken Scratch NY
- Apple Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate and Pecans (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
"Celebrate one of autumn’s most popular fruits with these deliciously soft and chewy Apple Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate & Pecans. You’ll be glad you did!"
- Caramel Drizzled Apple Fritters from Cooked by Julie
- Caramel Apple Snickers Salad from Dancing Through the Rain
- Apple Cider Donut Muffins (pictured below) from (yours truly) Kudos Kitchen
"Get your pumpkins at the pumpkin patch but make your apple cider donut (muffins) at home! They’re just as good as at the pumpkin patch. Maybe even better!!"
- Mini Apple Pies from My Kitchen Love
- Apple Bundt Cake from Caramel Tinted Life
- Fireball Apple Crisp (pictured below) This is the place!
More recipes with a cinnamon kick:
Give traditional oatmeal cookies a cinnamon twist. These Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies are sure to wake up your taste buds with an extra kick of flavor.
Wake up your taste buds with this sweet and spicy Cinnamon Fudge. It's not the typical flavor of fudge that you've seen coming and going, year after year...it's better!
When you make this recipe, and I hope you do, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave a star rating on the recipe card and briefly comment on why you rated it as you did. FYI - Google appreciates recipe ratings and, in turn, will share my recipes with more people. Thank you so much!!
Printable Recipe Card
Fireball Apple Crisp
- 6 medium Honey Crisp Apples peeled and cut into 1½" cubes
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup cinnamon whiskey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Topping:
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ cups quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold butter cut into cubes
- ½ cup (crushed) cinnamon red hot candy
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees (F) 175 degrees (C)
To prepare the filling:
- Place the prepared apples into a large bowl.
- Add the raisins, vanilla, cinnamon whiskey, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ⅛ teaspoon grated nutmeg, ¼ cup brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Stir well to combine.
- Add the apple mixture into an even layer in a 13x9 baking dish that has been sprayed with baking spray.
- Set aside.
To make the topping:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, brown sugar, granulated sugar, oats, cinnamon, and grated nutmeg.
- Add the cold, cubed butter and use your hands or a pastry blender to work the butter into the flour and sugar mixture to form coarse crumbs.
- Add the crushed cinnamon candy to the crumb mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread the topping evenly over the apples in the baking dish.
- Place the casserole dish onto a baking sheet and place into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the apple juices start to bubble around the edges of the dish.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's easy apple dessert recipe for Fireball Apple Crisp as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!
Thank you so much for visiting me today in my Kudos Kitchen. I hope you found something you'll love and that you'll come back and visit me often. There is always room for you around my table!
Should you have any questions or comments regarding anything you've seen here on my blog, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. It is always my distinct pleasure to respond to you just as soon as I possibly can.
Until we eat again, I hope you have a delicious day!!