I made you a special treat that you'll enjoy making as well! It's buttery, with a kick! With a name like Buffalo Popcorn, it's GOT to be good!!
I originally shared this recipe in 2014. I've recently updated this post with additional information, including a recipe card complete with nutritional information, but the recipe itself (and the photos) have remained unchanged.
**Please Note - The printable recipe card with detailed instructions, complete ingredient measurements, and nutritional information for making Buffalo Popcorn is available at the end of this post. Or you can hit the "jump to recipe" button (found above) to be taken directly to the recipe.
The ingredient list:
**Note - The following lists of ingredients plus kitchen tools and equipment contain affiliate links (highlighted in blue) for your consideration and shopping convenience. #CommissionsEarned
- unpopped corn kernels (see below for additional information on popcorn)
- canola oil
- hot sauce (your favorite variety)
- salt and pepper
Kitchen tools and equipment needed:
- 3-5 quart pot with a lid
- microwave-safe bowls
- measuring cups spoons
- large popcorn bowl for serving
How this recipe came to be:
I wanted to come up with a popcorn treat that would be enjoyable to eat while we watched the Academy Awards show back in 2014.
What I wrote about this recipe in 2014:
Hey, this popcorn has hot sauce in it so it will increase your metabolism and counteract all that butter and blue cheese. Isn't that how it works? LOL
Can pre-popped popcorn be used for this recipe?
Just pick up on the recipe when it's time to make the butter/hot sauce.
Can microwave popcorn be used to make Buffalo popcorn?
That will work too!! You're welcome! 🙂
What is Buffalo popcorn?
It's popcorn that's lightly (or heavily, your call) tossed in a mixture of melted butter, hot sauce, and blue cheese crumbles.
Can the amount of butter be adjusted in this recipe?
If you want to cut back (or add more), it's totally your call.
Can the amount of hot sauce be adjusted for this spicy popcorn recipe?
Yep. That too.
If you like your food really spicy, add more. If not, cut back on the amount used.
It's your popcorn, you can make it your way!
How to make the blue cheese butter/hot sauce:
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add the hot sauce and blue cheese crumbles to the melted butter and stir well to combine.
- Pour the Buffalo butter sauce over the popped corn in a large bowl and toss well to coat.
Additional recipes using hot sauce:
*Homemade Guacamole (shown below and featured in the video)
When you’re eating a low carb or keto diet, and you’re craving guacamole, but not all those pesky carbs found in corn and tortilla chips, it’s time to break out this Keto Guacamole with Pork Rind Dippers.
*Strawberry Sriracha BBQ Sauce (not shown)
Strawberry Sriracha BBQ Sauce is fruity with a touch of heat. It’s perfect for pork, chicken, and even fish.
*Firecracker Snackers (shown below)
Sriracha Firecracker Snackers packs a whole lot of punch into an itty-bitty cracker. BAM!
*Zippy Chicken and Artichoke Pasta (not shown)
Easy to make chicken artichoke pasta is full of creamy flavor thanks to the addition of cream cheese, mashed avocado, artichokes, and hot sauce to give it a nice zip of flavor!
*Buffalo Popcorn (shown below) THIS IS THE PLACE!!
Below is the printable recipe card along with the exact ingredient measurements and nutritional information for making today's spicy and addicting popcorn with Buffalo butter sauce.
If you've made this recipe, or are excited to make this recipe, I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment to leave it a star rating in the recipe card, along with a comment if you're so inclined. Thank you. 🙂
- 2 tablespoons canola oil divided
- 1 cup popcorn kernels unpopped, and divided
- 1 stick butter melted
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce I used Frank's
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- salt and pepper to taste
- -In a large 3-5 quart Dutch oven, add 1 tablespoon oil and ½ cup of popcorn kernels over medium heat.
- -Cover and pop until you no longer hear the kernels popping (shaking occasionally), but be careful not to burn the corn.
- -Remove the popped kernels to a large bowl.
- -Repeat with the remaining oil and unpopped kernels.
- -Meanwhile, in a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter.
- -Whisk in the blue cheese until melted, and then stir in the hot sauce.
- -Pour the butter sauce over the popcorn and toss to coat.
- -Season with salt and pepper.
I sincerely hope you've enjoyed today's fun and tasty munchie recipe for Buffalo Popcorn as much as I've enjoyed bringing it to you!!